It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Watching The Eagles' Coaches Decisions/Plays I Felt Jeal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

Play calling in the first half and second half were much different.

Do you really not know this?

I really don't know what we are arguing about here. You've set me up as some kind of strawman for your anti-Tomlin arguments and putting words into my mouth.

I thought the Steelers had a great drive going to start the quarter. The drive featured a number of successful runs (and a few passes) but was crushed by a holding call which in my mind changed the course of the game. I also believe that focusing on the run on the drive in question offered the best chance for the Steelers to score as it appeared to me that they could run at will. I didn't see it as turtling (that came later)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I really don't know what we are arguing about here. You've set me up as some kind of strawman for your anti-Tomlin arguments and putting words into my mouth.

I thought the Steelers had a great drive going to start the quarter. The drive featured a number of successful runs (and a few passes) but was crushed by a holding call which in my mind changed the course of the game. I also believe that focusing on the run on the drive in question offered the best chance for the Steelers to score as it appeared to me that they could run at will. I didn't see it as turtling (that came later)

I've been wondering lately when is it turtling, and when is it the case that you've decided that the best way to move the ball on an opponent is to run the ball, or is there a difference?

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

No...I’m not setting you up for a strawman.

I’m telling you the evidence is clear that when the Steelers concentrate on running first...especially with a heavy set...they don’t score a lot of points.

They aren’t built to score that way.

History on this point is abundantly clear. They focus run-first...they usually have a failed play, or a breakdown somewhere.

The only drive on which they scored, they had a short field from a turnover.

The only time they threatened again in the half, they had to pass the ball.

In the first half, Bell was running just as well, but they used him exactly the way they should have used him...picking up short down and distance plays while they passed their way on early downs to 17 points...scoring on 3 of 4 drives, IIRC.

By going heavy set and taking Bryant...Bryant who FINALLY showed up to play...off the field in the second half, they played right into Brady and Belichick’s hands.

Whether it was true turtling or not...it was stupid.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Poltargyst wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I've been wondering lately when is it turtling, and when is it the case that you've decided that the best way to move the ball on an opponent is to run the ball, or is there a difference?

Whether it’s turtling or not, the Steelers are not built to score points and move the ball that way.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Absolutely, the further away from the 1995 we get is directly proportional to the level of undiscipline and selfishness on the team.

I'll grant you some of it is a change in the times but most of it is Tomlin. We lead the league or are in contention for being the most stupid team every year lately

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Absolutely, the further away from the 1995 we get is directly proportional to the level of undiscipline and selfishness on the team.

I'll grant you some of it is a change in the times but most of it is Tomlin. We lead the league or are in contention for being the most stupid team every year lately

Nothing like a little afternoon hyperbole

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10