It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Watching The Eagles' Coaches Decisions/Plays I Felt Jeal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 pm 

BTW, for context...Brandon Graham didn’t really take off as a star defensive payer until the fifth year of his career.

He was widely considered a bust as recently as the beginning of 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:48 pm 

So there is hope for Bust Dupree?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
The other problem with Mike Tomlin, potentially, because I have no way of knowing if this is true.

He has many times said he doesn't really watch other games. I don't know if this includes the Super Bowl.

So I wonder if he watched last night so there's at least the possibility that he has learned from it.

This can't be true.

I believe it can. Not only that, if he did watch, I doubt it changes his football philosophy. It's his nature and like Jeemie stated he doesn't get out of it unless forced to because it's his nature. It's PAINFUL for me to watch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:56 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
?

“6 successful runs” means precisely squat.

ZERO POINTS (without the benefit of a very short field) by employing a heavy set run first mentality is the more important stat from that game.

I thought the Steelers scored 24 points. Bell ran for 117 and averaged 4.9 per carry. Ran for a TD. What are you trying to communicate here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:43 pm 

Speaking of Brandon Graham... I was listening to westward one on my ride home from super bowl gathering and they were interviewing my guy Derek Barnett who couldn’t say enough about Graham calling him the team leader and his mentor.

Would love to have such leadership on my favorite team. Graham, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich, Chris Long, Malcolm Jenkins, Jason Peters, Zach Ertz, Carson Wentz, and MVP Nick Foles all men of the highest character. Leaders who put the team first.

I don’t know much but I know none of those MEN were getting their pelvis broke outside a bar, talking contact or talking trash outside the Patriots locker room before the game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:50 pm 

^

A lot of us have been saying it for years; we have a few high quality character guys on our team, and a bunch of dumb shitheads. My opinion is it’s a reflection of the coach in charge; he is their “buddy” and let’s them do what they want because “he isn’t concerned with that stuff.”

Great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:56 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
^

A lot of us have been saying it for years; we have a few high quality character guys on our team, and a bunch of dumb shitheads. My opinion is it’s a reflection of the coach in charge; he is their “buddy” and let’s them do what they want because “he isn’t concerned with that stuff.”

Great.

Absolutely, the further away from cowhers players we got is directly proportional to the level of undiscipline and selfishness on the team.

Hows business? Boomin according to AB... Bell is seemingly as interested in rapping than playing football...but if you bitch about playing time and wanting to play football and take reps in practice you get blackballed and kicked to the curb even if you're a Steelers legend. Fuck Tomlin!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
^

Great.

Like I said before...Steelers need more head football coach, less frat brother.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
?

“6 successful runs” means precisely squat.

ZERO POINTS (without the benefit of a very short field) by employing a heavy set run first mentality is the more important stat from that game.

I thought the Steelers scored 24 points. Bell ran for 117 and averaged 4.9 per carry. Ran for a TD. What are you trying to communicate here?

Play calling in the first half and second half were much different.

Do you really not know this?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:48 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
Absolutely, the further away from the 1995 we get is directly proportional to the level of undiscipline and selfishness on the team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:15 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

I really don't know what we are arguing about here. You've set me up as some kind of strawman for your anti-Tomlin arguments and putting words into my mouth.

I thought the Steelers had a great drive going to start the quarter. The drive featured a number of successful runs (and a few passes) but was crushed by a holding call which in my mind changed the course of the game. I also believe that focusing on the run on the drive in question offered the best chance for the Steelers to score as it appeared to me that they could run at will. I didn't see it as turtling (that came later)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:25 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I really don't know what we are arguing about here. You've set me up as some kind of strawman for your anti-Tomlin arguments and putting words into my mouth.

I thought the Steelers had a great drive going to start the quarter. The drive featured a number of successful runs (and a few passes) but was crushed by a holding call which in my mind changed the course of the game. I also believe that focusing on the run on the drive in question offered the best chance for the Steelers to score as it appeared to me that they could run at will. I didn't see it as turtling (that came later)

I've been wondering lately when is it turtling, and when is it the case that you've decided that the best way to move the ball on an opponent is to run the ball, or is there a difference?

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

No...I’m not setting you up for a strawman.

I’m telling you the evidence is clear that when the Steelers concentrate on running first...especially with a heavy set...they don’t score a lot of points.

They aren’t built to score that way.

History on this point is abundantly clear. They focus run-first...they usually have a failed play, or a breakdown somewhere.

The only drive on which they scored, they had a short field from a turnover.

The only time they threatened again in the half, they had to pass the ball.

In the first half, Bell was running just as well, but they used him exactly the way they should have used him...picking up short down and distance plays while they passed their way on early downs to 17 points...scoring on 3 of 4 drives, IIRC.

By going heavy set and taking Bryant...Bryant who FINALLY showed up to play...off the field in the second half, they played right into Brady and Belichick’s hands.

Whether it was true turtling or not...it was stupid.

Poltargyst wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I've been wondering lately when is it turtling, and when is it the case that you've decided that the best way to move the ball on an opponent is to run the ball, or is there a difference?

Whether it’s turtling or not, the Steelers are not built to score points and move the ball that way.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Absolutely, the further away from the 1995 we get is directly proportional to the level of undiscipline and selfishness on the team.

I'll grant you some of it is a change in the times but most of it is Tomlin. We lead the league or are in contention for being the most stupid team every year lately

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:55 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

I'll grant you some of it is a change in the times but most of it is Tomlin. We lead the league or are in contention for being the most stupid team every year lately

Nothing like a little afternoon hyperbole