It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Watching The Eagles' Coaches Decisions/Plays I Felt Jealous
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am 

I don't understand with all the good coaching prospects that we have to be stuck with the same old, same old. The football genius, Bill Belichik didn't seem so brilliant up against Peterson. I like what one of the commentators mentioned about the Eagles coaching staff going to Foles at the end of the season & asking him which plays he was most comfortable & working with them.
I can appreciate the Rooney's point of view to keep a head coach forever but the times have changed & the other partners should try to mount a coup. No one is guaranteed a job forever ever & the world has changed, If the Steelers don't join the modern times, our glory will just be the past.

Post subject: Re: Watching The Eagles' Coaches Decisions/Plays I Felt Jeal
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:40 am 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... to-go-8-8/

We're doomed.

:lol:

Quote:
Eagles coach Doug Pederson was the most aggressive coach on fourth downs all season, and that didn’t change in the Super Bowl. Pederson says there’s a simple reason for that: It’s the way to win.

Pederson told Peter King after the game that if you want to play it safe all the time, that’s a great way to be at or near .500 all the time. If you want to win a championship, you need to try some high-risk, high-reward plays.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:52 am 

With the Steelers lack of excellent or even good coaching, we have depended on Big Ben & 84 to make us look like a better team. As has been shown by FC & others, our scouting/drafting needs a make-over, too but without a new GM & HC, the same old, same old continues. I don't really get it - looking from a distance (Toronto), Pittsburgh seems like a modern, fresh-thinking city but the Steelers seem lost in time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:01 am 

blu wrote:
With the Steelers lack of excellent or even good coaching, we have depended on Big Ben & 84 to make us look like a better team. As has been shown by FC & others, our scouting/drafting needs a make-over, too but without a new GM & HC, the same old, same old continues. I don't really get it - looking from a distance (Toronto), Pittsburgh seems like a modern, fresh-thinking city but the Steelers seem lost in time.

I will disagree about the GM. Comparing what Colbert has done with a Franchise QB under contract since 2008 to the Eagles or the Jaguars is wrong. Almost any idiot can run a team when they are not constrained by the cap. Without the franchise QB taking up 1/4 to 1/3 of the cap space a GM can have draft failures that are made up by FA. That Colbert and co. have kept the Steelers competitive for so long is a testament to hitting on drafts more than missing.

The draft is always a crap shoot. There is no one way to draft for success.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 am 

Blu...

I felt the same way. The Steelers would have punted late in the 4th. The Steelers would have kicked the FG on 4th down etc. etc etc.

That was coaching to win, and it was fun to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 am 

Two quotes from the SI pieces this morning.

“Playing quarterback, watching a lot of teams, a lot of football,” he said. “You learn if you play passive, if you play conservative, if you call plays conservatively, you are going to be 8-8, 9-7 every year. Every year. Frank and I just having that collaborative spirit to talk about things and talk with our quarterbacks and just come up with ways of keeping this game fresh and fun and exciting for our players. And that's really where it all stems from.”

Without a talent like Ben you go 8-8 9-7. With him you go 11-5, 12-4 and bow out of the playoffs early.

Pederson and Reich called a great game. Great scheme.

“We knew they had problems when you force them to defend stacks and bunches,” said one Eagles offensive assistant after the game. “You look at early in the year, against those stacks, they were losing guys.”

What the Eagles saw, particularly in that Carolina game, was that the Patriots couldn’t figure out how to defend receivers who released together on intersected routes, especially when pre-snap motion was involved.

Paging the golfer. Will Fichtner notice this shit. We'll see

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
Blu...

I felt the same way. The Steelers would have punted late in the 4th. The Steelers would have kicked the FG on 4th down etc. etc etc.

yup...the game that Pederson called was the "anti Tomlin game"...very prepared team....aggressive but smart play calling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 am 

GreekSteel wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Blu...

yup...the game that Pederson called was the "anti Tomlin game"...very prepared team....aggressive but smart play calling

That reminds me of the year conservative Cowher made it through the playoffs & won the big game as Cowher for that stretch was the Bizzaro, anti-Cowher. I was hoping that Tomlin would do that in the post-season this year but I don't think Tomlin can go there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 am 

blu wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Blu...

That reminds me of the year conservative Cowher made it through the playoffs & won the big game as Cowher for that stretch was the Bizzaro, anti-Cowher. I was hoping that Tomlin would do that in the post-season this year but I don't think Tomlin can go there.

agreed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 am 

blu wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:
Blu...

He can go there.

But it only seems he can go there when pressed to do it...i.e. when the team is losing and needs a spark.

Otherwise, it's conservative city....like H2 of the New England game.

Pederson did some other anti-Tomlin things. I especially liked how he would often run the ball on passing downs and distances.

Only mistake I saw him make strategy/tactics-wise was fail to take his shot to salt the game and pass on second down with 2:03 left.

Other than that, it was a flawless game. Went for it on fourth down when he had to...was smart aggressive as opposed to how Dan Quinn was dumb aggressive last year, and Pete Carroll two years before that.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next