It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Here Cometh The Defensive Coaching Changes: Lake Out
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:20 pm 

franco32 wrote:
I made an argument a few weeks ago that perhaps we draft dumb players. Is it really all Lake's fault?

How come Lake was able to get Haden to learn the defense so quickly? How come Mike Hilton excelled as a first year player and made very few mental errors?

Coaches can't do everything. They certainly can't shed blocks or tackle for you and that was a big problem this year. I'm not so sure the busted coverages were Lake's fault or just the players being dumb.

I think Philly is a well coached team. We all agree on that after Sunday. Yet, their secondary was completely lost during the SB. Pats receivers were running free like gazelles in the wild. The Eagles actually were WORSE than even last year's Steelers during the AFC Championship game were our secondary was breaking down left and right.

At the end of the day, players have to understand scheme, study film, and know their role in the defense (ie. when to switch off and when not to).

And if it's not Lake's responsibility to ensure the DBs are not dumb and know their responsibilities bc that is out of Lake's control, then it isn't Tomlin's fault either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm 

franco32 wrote:
I made an argument a few weeks ago that perhaps we draft dumb players. Is it really all Lake's fault?

How come Lake was able to get Haden to learn the defense so quickly? How come Mike Hilton excelled as a first year player and made very few mental errors?

Coaches can't do everything. They certainly can't shed blocks or tackle for you and that was a big problem this year. I'm not so sure the busted coverages were Lake's fault or just the players being dumb.

I think Philly is a well coached team. We all agree on that after Sunday. Yet, their secondary was completely lost during the SB. Pats receivers were running free like gazelles in the wild. The Eagles actually were WORSE than even last year's Steelers during the AFC Championship game were our secondary was breaking down left and right.

At the end of the day, players have to understand scheme, study film, and know their role in the defense (ie. when to switch off and when not to).

Agree with this Franco but one thing; after watching NE offense and Brady (again) carve up a legit defense, along with B2Bs point that defense in the NFL might be dead (or certainly takes a far back seat to offense), when you play the GOAT, their offensive coaching and the protection that Brady gets makes it almost impossible to keep them under 20 points. Hell, the Jags almost did it IN FOXBORO, and defensively they and Miami played NE the best all season on defense.

At the end of the day, to beat NE, you pretty much have to play perfect offensively and not scared football.

I wish Fraudlin would realize that. Pederson does. Coughlin does (he didn’t call that offense in the AFCCG). Mike better wise the hell up.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:21 pm 

I think this move is an indication of what we are trying to do- play more press coverage. Lake's playing and coaching experience are more in zone schemes and off coverage. I cannot see him adapting to the new normal. Where this team got in trouble on those long balls was the handoff from DB playing man to Safety playing essentially a zone concept. Once or twice would be happenstance but too many teams exploited that and it never got fixed. That long ball completion that sealed the game for the Jags was the dagger in Lakes career in BG IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:24 pm 

FC wrote:
R S wrote:
FC wrote:
I am going to post something yinz will laugh at

I would try to hire

Dom Capers and Dick LeBeau as Co defensive back coaches

I'd like them to trade Mike Mitchell for Jalen Ramsey, but that ain't gonna happen either.

LeBeau is most likely a no...On the other hand Capers is a lifer who loved Pittsburgh

I expect Deshea Townsend is the Steelers DB coach

Deshea globbed onto the Giants staff unless he's going to pull a McDaniels.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
I think this move is an indication of what we are trying to do- play more press coverage. Lake's playing and coaching experience are more in zone schemes and off coverage. I cannot see him adapting to the new normal. Where this team got in trouble on those long balls was the handoff from DB playing man to Safety playing essentially a zone concept. Once or twice would be happenstance but too many teams exploited that and it never got fixed. That long ball completion that sealed the game for the Jags was the dagger in Lakes career in BG IMO.

Interesting take. Because that had missed assignment written all over it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:28 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Joey Porter next? Please? Please?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:32 pm 

COR-TEN"]
GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
i dont know how much can change when the head defensive guru is still there. This is his baby, his mess. Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

It wasn't the scheme or playcalling or top-level choices as much as jimmie & joes + fundamentals and player development.

The HC is involved in all of that, but position coaches have a big impact in those areas.

B2B, a huge aspect of being a good head coach are the coaching hires you make. He absolutely sucks at that.
So I guess munchak wasn't his fault or didn't hire him. Or Mann. Or the RB coach to replace Kirby Wilson. Nah, Bell didn't gain from his coaching. . .[/quote]

Sure all the credit to Tomlin for Munchak, make more of those hires, oh and thank God Munchak was from penn st and a pittsburgh guy, i guess i should be thankful Dave fkn Wanstedt hasnt gotten a chance to coach the Steelers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:47 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:

Interesting take. Because that had missed assignment written all over it.

One or two you blame the player. But when it keeps happening- it's coaching. We all saw what happened in the Colts game after Haden went down, but then it just kept happening even after he came back. A coach should be able to see if the player has a mental problem at the position and help him into a better technique, but too many times I saw a WR outside the numbers get handed off to no one. If the pass rush didn't get there it was a long completion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Off season forum prediction.

I put the under at 16 for how many consecutive posts any given thread will make it before a poster criticizes Tomlin.

I'll take the under

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:
i dont know how much can change when the head defensive guru is still there. This is his baby, his mess. Rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

It wasn't the scheme or playcalling or top-level choices as much as jimmie & joes + fundamentals and player development.

The HC is involved in all of that, but position coaches have a big impact in those areas.

B2B, a huge aspect of being a good head coach are the coaching hires you make. He absolutely sucks at that.

Steelers are VERY clear about this, since Cowher: the ORGANIZATION makes coaching hires. That includes the HC but he does not have unilateral hiring and firing authority. The Rooneys felt that was the biggest mistake of the Cowher tenure... giving him too much authority.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next