It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Ben wants to play beyond 2019
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:50 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
Kodiak, you had supported Ben up until about midseason.

You thought he was done as did a bunch on this board...you know who you are.

Never said he was done. Made many arguments why. I did agree he was not playing well the first half of the year, and we can all speculate about the reasons. And I said he wasn't as bad the first half as many were saying, but it WAS the worst stretch of 6-7 games in his career since 2006. That's simply a fact that isn't debatable.

But not wanting to run the QB sneak costs you games. Not wanting to run PA costs you games. If Ben wants to run that stuff more, they run it. I don't blame Tomlin or Haley for that. Those two plays are fundamental and critical to winning football. Ben would have to be that much better to win without those plays, and in the playoffs he doesn't have the margin to get away with it.

So, yes, I will continue to say it. Ben can still throw a great ball, but if he's going to keep playing like a pussy he's not winning another ring, with or without Tomlin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:38 am 

Hinestuff wrote:
Jeemie, you mean the pass to Wallace where he didn't even look for the fucking ball? That's on Ben? ok

What are you talking about?

Wallace was looking for the ball...he actually got a hand on it, but because he was blanketed, the ball was too high, and he couldn’t get up to it.

Meanwhile Heath Miller was out in the flat IN THE SAME GENERAL VICINITY and Ben ignored him. Heath’s defender was playing off him...if Ben throws immediately, he gets the ball there to Heath before the defender can close.

You might be thinking of the third down pass, but Wallace wasn’t the target of that pass...Hines Ward was...and he had been confused as to his assignment and so ran the wrong route.

Gets me to the other beef about that last drive. Steelers had confusion on two consecutive plays...on one, Mike Wallace was obviously confused pre-snap. Steelers only had one timeout left, and I know they were trying to save it until they were further downfield, but when Ben and/or Tomlin saw that confusion, they should have called timeout to get sorted. Very hard to have a successful play if a couple of players don’t know what’s being run.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:22 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Ben has been in three Super Bowls.

He had long stretches of mediocre play in all three of them. Absent that drive for the ages, he's been pedestrian in Super Bowls.

I really think you ought to turn in your Steelers fan card. You've overanalyzed and critiqued to the point of no longer being able to see the team you root for for what it is.

You don't realize what you have until it is gone. Until I see it differently, I am convinced they believe Astro Dobbs is their next QB (maybe it will be a pleasant surprise).

Ben's biological clock is ticking like a nuclear bomb while Art2 taps his fucking feet to it's rhythm like its a Benny Goodman recital. I just hope the man goes for it this offseason for once in his life. We have a 3 year window (guess). We just wasted 2.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:48 pm 

Suwanee88 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

He had long stretches of mediocre play in all three of them. Absent that drive for the ages, he's been pedestrian in Super Bowls.

I really think you ought to turn in your Steelers fan card. You've overanalyzed and critiqued to the point of no longer being able to see the team you root for for what it is.

You don't realize what you have until it is gone. Until I see it differently, I am convinced they believe Astro Dobbs is their next QB (maybe it will be a pleasant surprise).

Ben's biological clock is ticking like a nuclear bomb while Art2 taps his fucking feet to it's rhythm like its a Benny Goodman recital. I just hope the man goes for it this offseason for once in his life. We have a 3 year window (guess). We just wasted 2.

Why are we continuing this false argument that if we’re critical of Ben, that means we hate Ben and want him gone?

I responded to a poster who tried to compare and contrast Ben and Wilson based solely on their last offensive plays of Super Bowl XLIII and Super Bowl XLIX. I pointed out that this was cherry-picking data. I pointed out that Ben was mostly pedestrian in his three Super Bowls

For this I’m told I must give up my fan card...and that’s just dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:12 pm 

Past performance is not indicative of future results.

I’ve not suggested Wilson is better. Nor that I would trade in prime vs. in prime.

I’m simply stating at this moment in time it would be a good swap.

That 2008 pass was a loooong time ago. Since then he’s been getting outplayed in the postseason time and time again.

By good QBs as well as bad.

Ben’s my guy. Huge supporter over the years.

And again, 2008 was a long one ago.

Maybe Wilson is throwing to a receiver covered by Willie Gay instead of covered by Malcolm Butler if Ben would find a way to win a playoff game against the likes of Tim Tebow or Jake Bortles once in a while.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:45 pm 

Jeemie wrote:

I know...but it kind of negates the comparison you were trying to make.

:lol: He embarrassed himself. Especially in XL. Mediocrity is a stretch jeems. Ben has never played in any of his super bowl appearances like he does leading up to them. Like he falls off and gets worn down and/or complacent. Not talking shit just laying out the facts. Mediocre is being generous.

Suwanee88 wrote:

If this is anywhere near the truth I wish they would have waited to draft Lamar Jackson then. Dobbs is a poor man's Jackson. I'm not even on the Jackson fan bandwagon either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:17 pm 

If anyone on this board thinks Ben was outplayed or played pedestrian football in any his last 3 playoff losses, make sure to speak up now so we can identify who you are.

Hell, if you think Ben was pedestrian aside from the last drive in XLIII, make sure to say that, too... that's even more ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 pm 

1 play... B2B. 1 play that stands out in a era where the rules are geared towards offense. Remember even with that 1 play..., if Deebo doesn't go above and beyond the Steelers likely lose. The big play in XL IIRC, was from Randle-El to Ward.... Ben turned over the ball once in XLV as is his tradition. Come on. That's all I'm referring to. What was the QB rating again? 118 (XLV) after Woodson left with a fractured collar bone? His highest! Not trying to play smartass B2B just stating fact(s). Ben is a bit less than mediocre in all his SB appearances and it's no secret.

Quote:
Roethlisberger, who completed 25 of 40 passes for 263 yards, was badly outplayed by his counterpart, Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers. http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/c ... id=6097547

Now leading up to the SB in the postseason Ben and co. continue to shit the bed. Last 2 post seasons were trainwrecks. Admit it. 13-3 is nice. 1 and done is not! Ben can not win without a stellar defense.

Super Bowl XL, Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers: 9-21, 123 yards, 2 INT for a rating of 22.6.
2008, Roethlisberger, who finished the season with 3,301 passing yards and 17 touchdowns, with 15 interceptions. That's exceptional?
Super bowl XLIII stats...,21-30 256 yds 1TD 1INT rating of 93.2. What one expects from a super bowl caliber QB. Add this to an exceptional defense and Wa La.

Last edited by Steelafan77 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:50 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
If anyone on this board thinks Ben was outplayed or played pedestrian football in any his last 3 playoff losses, make sure to speak up now so we can identify who you are.

Hell, if you think Ben was pedestrian aside from the last drive in XLIII, make sure to say that, too... that's even more ridiculous.

In the three Super Bowls?

He pretty much was pedestrian.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:24 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

Raise your hand if you are able to differentiate between being pedestrian and being the QB that makes the mistake vs. the one that doesn’t.

It’s the 2 TD/2 INT performance vs. the 3 TD/O INT game.

I haven’t looked them up but pull up Ben’s INT numbers starting with 2010 SB moving forward vs his opponents INT numbers.

I’d be willing to bet it’s not a favorable number for 7.

So he can play what overall looks like a big game while at the same time being on the loosing end in terms of which QB played the cleaner game. The type of game that ensures you play the following week.

Would you say his turnover #s vs opponent are pedestrian?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

What are you going to do? Make them wear a scarlet "A"? Honestly, who the fuck made you the final arbiter of who is a real Steeler fan and who isn"t?

Just curious who you have a bigger man crush on. Ben or Tomlin?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:50 am 

Quote:
Steelers' Kevin Colbert: 'Huge lift' that Ben Roethlisberger wants to play beyond 2019 http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/133 ... eyond-2019
I'm sure it is because he doesn't have to look for Ben's replacement yet. He can focus on the troubled defense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5