It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Competition Committee meets this week...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:26 pm 

jebrick wrote:
If they just put in the original rule or the NCAA catch rule AND enforce the indisputable evidence on the replay I think they are fine. They really need to stop with the Zapruder film study of catches. Bert Emmanuel said it best. " A receiver would never, ever reach unless he has control. He will always focus on maintaining control of the ball. Once he reaches, in his mind, control is established.”

Interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:43 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
The catch rule WILL be on the agenda.

The bad publicity finally got to Goodell, and he wants it to be changed.

There's only one true solution. They won't adopt it, and many of you wouldn't like it either, but I'd love it, my solution...

Make a catch a judgment call that is not reviewable. Hold the ball for one second, feet in bounds, don't have to "survive the ground" PERIOD.

Catches need to be reviewable for the most egregious of errors such as only one foot in bounds a la Mel Renfro. And I'm really hating the "survive the ground" rule. Somehow over the course of some 77-odd years, receivers made catches in the NFL without having to "survive the ground".

Remember the "Merril Hoge" playoff game in Denver? Remember in that game a Denver receiver was awarded a TD despite only having one foot in bounds? Who knows, they call that correctly, maybe the Steelers win. This is why I'm going to follow you around and every time you say we should just get rid of replay, I'm going say no, we need replay for egregious mistakes like that so the Steelers don't get screwed by a bad call in a playoff game.

I think they should make it ONE FOOT in bounds, like every other football league. Simplify to the max, as long as it remains reviewable, the bullshit will mount, it will never be solved, someone will find something new to nitpick. REPLAY IS CANCER, it ruins the experience of watching sports.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am 

Kodiak wrote:
The big problem with replay as it is today, is that teams are getting screwed by having correct/obvious calls overturned.

The original rule of clear, indisputable evidence apparently no longer applies. To most fans, it looks like replay is being used to substitute a judgement call from a NY studio over the judgement call on the field.

One person making these rulings is supposed to bring more consistency. It hasn't. And, on the contrary, it makes fixing/rigging games easier - which is how it looks to a lot of people.

I think expanded replay, especially with the NY overlord, is a failure. Go back to coaches get two challenges (plus potentially a third) and that's it. At least you're putting more of a cap on how many times a team can get screwed.

REPLAY IS CANCER! Would there really be more controversy without it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am 

jebrick wrote:
If they just put in the original rule or the NCAA catch rule AND enforce the indisputable evidence on the replay I think they are fine. They really need to stop with the Zapruder film study of catches. Bert Emmanuel said it best. " A receiver would never, ever reach unless he has control. He will always focus on maintaining control of the ball. Once he reaches, in his mind, control is established.”

NEVER HAPPEN, as long as they have replay, they will abuse it and over do it. The only solution is the one they won't choose, NO REPLAY! For all of you worried about mistakes, do you feel like replay get's it right? LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:20 am 

Nick79 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

NEVER HAPPEN, as long as they have replay, they will abuse it and over do it. The only solution is the one they won't choose, NO REPLAY! For all of you worried about mistakes, do you feel like replay get's it right? LOL!

you can be a Luddite for the NFL but you can't put it back in the box. That is even less than wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am 

jebrick wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
jebrick wrote:

you can be a Luddite for the NFL but you can't put it back in the box. That is even less than wishful thinking.

I know, but it amazes me how many fans wouldn't want to get rid of replay. It ruins every sport! Look at hockey, reviewing for off sides on goals, nobody would notice that if they didn't replay! Basketball reviewing to see if you barely touched the line on a 3 point shot! Nobody can see that and they wouldn't complain, IMO it ruins all sports.