It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Timmons to be released
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:24 pm 

955876 wrote:
Why are the Dolphins cutting him again after just signing him a year ago?

Price vs production.

The Dolphins also basically HAVE TO go younger. They're rebuilding.

Timmons going back to Pittsburgh, is at least in my book, virtually certain.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:35 pm 

Scunge wrote:
The thing is that there is really no danger of Timmons stealing any reps from a younger player Steelafan77.

Did James Harrison steal reps away from TJ Watt?

Did Willie Gay keep Mike Hilton off the field?

When Cam Sutton was finally activated did Coty Sensabaugh keep him off the field?

The answer to all of these question is no. If there is a young player, even a rookie, capable of playing then Butler/Tomlin have no issue starting him over the veteran. Dick LeBeau left 3 years ago, that letting rookies get splinters in their ass riding the pine, left with him.

But this draft, what if all of the top ILBs are all gone before 28? Last year I watched all 3 ILBs go before our pick. I was hoping Jarrad Davis would slip to us, he didn't. I wanted no part of Reuben Foster, thought he was a poser, still do, his injuries and character will spell his doom as an NFL player. What happens this year if nobody is there for us to pick in round 1, and then when the 2nd round comes they go with better value with another position, they do another JuJu type of selection? What if that starting ILB that many of want doesn't happen until round 3 at best? And taken at the end of round 3.

Wouldn't it be better for that 3rd round rookie to have Timmons to learn from, to have as his backup and mentor? I do, and I bet the Steelers do too.

@ $4Mil-$5Mil per? No thanks. Again, agree to disagree. Tough treading being in the minority around here lately. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 pm 

955876 wrote:
Why are the Dolphins cutting him again after just signing him a year ago?

Remember when he went missing before that game??? I bet that has something to do with it, no matter what excuse he made afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:29 pm 

Quote:
@ $4Mil-$5Mil per? No thanks. Again, agree to disagree. Tough treading being in the minority around here lately. ;)

I’m leaning toward your side on this Timmons issue.

I do see his value as a part of the LB corps as depth etc.

However, above a certain price point he becomes the starter simply based on what they are paying him.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:34 pm 

955876 wrote:
Quote:

I’m leaning toward your side on this Timmons issue.

I do see his value as a part of the LB corps as depth etc.

However, above a certain price point he becomes the starter simply based on what they are paying him.

I'm 100% CERTAIN Timmons will start at ILB for the Steelers next year.....until our ILB draft choice is ready.

....and that's exactly how it should go down, unless Timmons out-plays expectations. THAT wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'll bet you are.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:53 pm 

Timmons played more like an old Larry Foote in 2016, making a bunch of tackles 4-5 yards downfield and often getting taken for a ride. Hopefully just a bad year, but he wasn't nearly as good as VWill was last year, and I think that's a problem.

At least he's durable.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm 

If those numbers are accurate it would be just too much money to pay an aging vet even though he offers some value as a stop gap and on the field coach. If they could land Timmons for a cap friendly deal I say pull the trigger. Steelers just don't have the cap space to bring in Timmons @$4Mil-$5Mil per even with his added value and still make the cap work for the rest of the team. Still gotta get safety in order. Whether that means restructuring Mitchell and holding onto him another season [2019] so they can bring in another FA safety and/or draft one.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:00 pm 

I suppose it's possible you can low-ball Timmons and hope he wants to come back and play for a contender. It happens [rarely]....I'm sure he did himself no favors for himself with how things went down in MIA. PIT sticks to their guns, maybe a 2-yr deal for $2.5M per.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:23 pm 

I was thinking something in the neighborhood of 2 years $3.5-$3.95Mil...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:47 pm 

It is funny, I don't remember Timmons last year as a Steeler, 2016, being that bad like many of you do.

Played in all 16 games, started all 16 games.

He had 2 Interceptions which he returned for 74 yards, had 5 passes defensed. Had 1 forced fumble, 2.5 sacks and 114 tackles.

In those 3 playoff games he had 29 tackles and 2 sacks. Say what you want about Vince Williams last year with his 8 sacks, but I think Timmons could have done that as well if he had been here last season. The man does have 35.5 career sacks (37.5 counting the playoffs).

I think he will come back and sign a very team friendly contract, just like Harrison and Willie Gay did, something like 2 years, $3.5 million. Of his 3 contracts they have come out to a total of some $66 million, I don't think he is going to try and dick around and ask for more money.

I think him leaving for Miami was not necessarily because he wanted more money but because he knew that the team was all in on Shazier and that he would soon be paid as the best ILB in the game and that the Steelers were going to have to save money where they could. I think it was all amicable on all parties involved, there were no hurt feelings but now things are different with Shazier injured. The Timmons that was the high character, soft spoken, quiet leader, I can't help feeling he may feel obligated to come back and help the team.

Don't really understand the resistance to him coming back from so many other sites, media, etc. It would be the perfect low cost signing. Two things needed to happen to help the ILB situation, one sign a vet, two draft an ILB in rounds 1-3. That is all you can reasonably expect in one given year. The idea that we can somehow sign or trade for a free agent ILB that is just as good as Shazier is delusional. Or that we can just draft one and him be a starter and not miss a beat is also likewise delusional. I do think having Timmons back helps with stability, to have almost like a player/coach, who can help that young rookie draft pick and also help with the rotation, to start in a pinch either in relief of the rookie or Williams.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next