It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 105
I predict Timmons AND another ILB are brought in via FA. He sounds like he would rather focus on other positions.

Im still holding out hope for Tre Boston too.

Just think, you walk into the room on draft day with the two biggest weaknesses taken care of. Then you can start thinking about a good edge player, $backer, depth on the DL, Bryant’s successor, Ramon foster’s successor, or a good receiving back.

Lots of good options if they double dip on a deep FA ILB class.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm
Posts: 4443
I will be stunned if KC does not add a ILB early in FA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 am
Posts: 1039
Lean? If he means that they're smaller than they used to be I agree. But if he means lean as in this class doesn't have much to offer he's smoking a really good strand.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 105
smithessmokin wrote:
Lean? If he means that they're smaller than they used to be I agree. But if he means lean as in this class doesn't have much to offer he's smoking a really good strand.


The full comment was that there WERE sime good talents at the top like Smith and Edmunds, but that overall there wasnt a ton of depth, and he blamed apread offenses for taking LBs and NTs off the field in college.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm
Posts: 4297
Can we trust these guys to make a solid pic on the D side of the ball even if the pickens weren’t slim?

We’ve got more high picks on the D side these last several years that are total ghost on the field.


Last edited by 955876 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16814
smithessmokin wrote:
Lean? If he means that they're smaller than they used to be I agree. But if he means lean as in this class doesn't have much to offer he's smoking a really good strand.

I do think it's lean for Mack fits who can play the run and coverage. Maybe 3 or 4 I wouldn't mind. A couple of maybes.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4928
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
I think there are a bunch out there with the talent to be able to do both, but don't excel at both right now. The questions then become, can they be taught (combine/Senior Bowl interviews) and do we have the staff to do it (up in the air at this point, though they did a decent job with Timmons and Shazier, and even VW is better than what he was coming out of school)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
That's what he's supposed to say. When everyone and their cousin knows Pittsburgh's calamity at ILB and Safety. What's he supposed to say? ILB is very deep this year and the Steelers are looking forward to the process and eventual drafting of at least 1? Coach speak as it's known around these parts. Or in this case GM speak. Not misleading anyone with that bullshit. LB'er this year's draft is one of the deepest I've seen in years. I hope to God they don't believe another year of Mitchell is the answer going forward and they seriously address safety before the draft.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16814
Steelafan77 wrote:
That's what he's supposed to say. When everyone and their cousin knows Pittsburgh's calamity at ILB and Safety. What's he supposed to say? ILB is very deep this year and the Steelers are looking forward to the process and eventual drafting of at least 1? Coach speak as it's known around these parts. Or in this case GM speak. Not misleading anyone with that bullshit. LB'er this year's draft is one of the deepest I've seen in years. I hope to God they don't believe another year of Mitchell is the answer going forward and they seriously address safety before the draft.

I really don't agree with that assessment, and I've been doing a deep dive into LBs this year. Guys that are actually active vs the run and workable in coverage-- not even great at one, the other, or both-- they jump out on tape because they're so rare.

I see a lot of slow to the edge, slow to react, unaware of what's behind them, washed by blockers, unable to sift through the trash, weak tacklers, inability to play the ball. Even amongst guys that are draft darlings.

If you want a guy that is above average at the run and can adequately cover a RB out of the backfield, there are A TON of those guys, yes. That's what Vince Williams does. There are more than a couple who are very good vs the run and have obvious coverage issues the moment they have to take a step away from the LOS. There are also a couple of hyped guys who are great in coverage (helps when you play in football conferences where it's all spread and quick passes) but who would cause FC to throw something through his TV because of how soft or late they are vs the run.

Yes, Steelafan, you make a good point: there may be some who can be trained to do what they are not as good at now. That's pretty risky, though, for a player you'd really like to contribute this year. Worst-case: we platoon at the Mack, between a FA who is better at one aspect and a draft pick/Matakevich who is better at the other.

In general, I think it shapes up to be a slightly below average draft, with lots of solid but unspectacular NFL players, and very little cream at the top. As Perch would say: the difference between pick 16 and pick 60 in this draft is negligible.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16814
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 105
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.


I agree with both of you that Colbert is not going to tip his hand, that the class has nobody outside of Edmunds and R Smith that will make us remotely stop missing Shazier, and that there are some solid developmental prospects.

All of that tells me to expect a couple veteran FAs and a day 2 developmental pick to be brought in. This buys time for Shaziers rehab to sort out and for the young pick to develop.

It could be aomething like:
Buck: VWilliams, Timmons
Mack: Anthony Hitchens/Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead, Tyler Matakevich, 3rd rounder

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16814
MeanJustinBarlow wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.


I agree with both of you that Colbert is not going to tip his hand, that the class has nobody outside of Edmunds and R Smith that will make us remotely stop missing Shazier, and that there are some solid developmental prospects.

All of that tells me to expect a couple veteran FAs and a day 2 developmental pick to be brought in. This buys time for Shaziers rehab to sort out and for the young pick to develop.

It could be aomething like:
Buck: VWilliams, Timmons
Mack: Anthony Hitchens/Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead, Tyler Matakevich, 3rd rounder

I think that's damn near exactly what they'll do, unless they can't get one of those decent FAs for the money they'll be interested in spending.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3197
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I see a lot of slow to the edge, slow to react, unaware of what's behind them, washed by blockers, unable to sift through the trash, weak tacklers, inability to play the ball. Even amongst guys that are draft darlings.

.


This is what I see and was confused by people talking about the depth of the ILB in the draft, There are quite a few Vince Williams type ILB in this draft. Since we already have Vince Williams I would rather not draft another. I am sure Tomlin will go for an overly athletic LB with little to no instincts

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
Couldn't have put any better:

Kyle Shanahan wrote:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
ILB class is "lean".....translation "we're reaching for ILB in R1"

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
I don't know Kodiak many thought Shazier was a reach too. Coaching is vitol. Players do develop. I know B2B is skeptical on the ILB draft class this draft too. Hopefully Colbert waves his magic wand and lands the BPA of the draft. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
Quote:
None of the prospects at inside linebacker, not even the top ones – Roquan Smith (6-0, 236) of Georgia or Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 253) – will come close to posting the 4.4 time Shazier did in 2014. Curiously, the player who will come close could be a fellow Ohio State linebacker, Jerome Baker, whom NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said “is going to light up the combine.”

Baker (6-1, 229) is a little under-sized, not to mention inconsistent, but Mayock is intrigued by his ability to run sideline to sideline – something the Steelers are seeking to help replace Shazier. Colbert said the other day Shazier will not play in 20128.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803030078
Hmmm....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 am
Posts: 1074
What about this Shaquem Griffin who put up a 4.38 40? I don't know anything else about him to be honest but it made me think of Shazier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4928
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
None of the prospects at inside linebacker, not even the top ones – Roquan Smith (6-0, 236) of Georgia or Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 253) – will come close to posting the 4.4 time Shazier did in 2014. Curiously, the player who will come close could be a fellow Ohio State linebacker, Jerome Baker, whom NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said “is going to light up the combine.”

Baker (6-1, 229) is a little under-sized, not to mention inconsistent, but Mayock is intrigued by his ability to run sideline to sideline – something the Steelers are seeking to help replace Shazier. Colbert said the other day Shazier will not play in 20128.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803030078
Hmmm....


LBs were a LOT faster and more athletic than I expected, for the most part.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baltostiller, Donnie Brasco, Google [Bot], GreekSteel, stillthere and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group