It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16789
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 105
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.


I agree with both of you that Colbert is not going to tip his hand, that the class has nobody outside of Edmunds and R Smith that will make us remotely stop missing Shazier, and that there are some solid developmental prospects.

All of that tells me to expect a couple veteran FAs and a day 2 developmental pick to be brought in. This buys time for Shaziers rehab to sort out and for the young pick to develop.

It could be aomething like:
Buck: VWilliams, Timmons
Mack: Anthony Hitchens/Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead, Tyler Matakevich, 3rd rounder

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16789
MeanJustinBarlow wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.


I agree with both of you that Colbert is not going to tip his hand, that the class has nobody outside of Edmunds and R Smith that will make us remotely stop missing Shazier, and that there are some solid developmental prospects.

All of that tells me to expect a couple veteran FAs and a day 2 developmental pick to be brought in. This buys time for Shaziers rehab to sort out and for the young pick to develop.

It could be aomething like:
Buck: VWilliams, Timmons
Mack: Anthony Hitchens/Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead, Tyler Matakevich, 3rd rounder

I think that's damn near exactly what they'll do, unless they can't get one of those decent FAs for the money they'll be interested in spending.

_________________
bradshaw2ben wrote:
PIT 30, LAC 17, NFL 16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3194
bradshaw2ben wrote:
I see a lot of slow to the edge, slow to react, unaware of what's behind them, washed by blockers, unable to sift through the trash, weak tacklers, inability to play the ball. Even amongst guys that are draft darlings.

.


This is what I see and was confused by people talking about the depth of the ILB in the draft, There are quite a few Vince Williams type ILB in this draft. Since we already have Vince Williams I would rather not draft another. I am sure Tomlin will go for an overly athletic LB with little to no instincts

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14225
Couldn't have put any better:

Kyle Shanahan wrote:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12068
ILB class is "lean".....translation "we're reaching for ILB in R1"

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14225
I don't know Kodiak many thought Shazier was a reach too. Coaching is vitol. Players do develop. I know B2B is skeptical on the ILB draft class this draft too. Hopefully Colbert waves his magic wand and lands the BPA of the draft. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14225
Quote:
None of the prospects at inside linebacker, not even the top ones – Roquan Smith (6-0, 236) of Georgia or Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 253) – will come close to posting the 4.4 time Shazier did in 2014. Curiously, the player who will come close could be a fellow Ohio State linebacker, Jerome Baker, whom NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said “is going to light up the combine.”

Baker (6-1, 229) is a little under-sized, not to mention inconsistent, but Mayock is intrigued by his ability to run sideline to sideline – something the Steelers are seeking to help replace Shazier. Colbert said the other day Shazier will not play in 20128.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803030078
Hmmm....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 am
Posts: 1065
What about this Shaquem Griffin who put up a 4.38 40? I don't know anything else about him to be honest but it made me think of Shazier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm
Posts: 4915
Location: Sunny Delaware (but the murdery part)
Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
None of the prospects at inside linebacker, not even the top ones – Roquan Smith (6-0, 236) of Georgia or Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 253) – will come close to posting the 4.4 time Shazier did in 2014. Curiously, the player who will come close could be a fellow Ohio State linebacker, Jerome Baker, whom NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said “is going to light up the combine.”

Baker (6-1, 229) is a little under-sized, not to mention inconsistent, but Mayock is intrigued by his ability to run sideline to sideline – something the Steelers are seeking to help replace Shazier. Colbert said the other day Shazier will not play in 20128.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803030078
Hmmm....


LBs were a LOT faster and more athletic than I expected, for the most part.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 14Thumb, bigtoad, fritzthecat, Google [Bot], Havoc, JaySteel72, jebrick, Jobus Rum, Kodiak, OhioSteeler, Scarletfire1970 and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group