It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Colbert says ILB class is “lean”
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:47 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
It really is hard to say who might emerge as a playmaker. I realize tape is the best indicator for rookie prospects. There are usually guys that play average or even well in college and then blow up in the pros. Far and few between I know. As big as the LB'ers group is in this draft I have to believe there are several guys that while they won't jump off the scene at you at first, after some pro level coaching and development they evolve into that player desired. JMO

Maybe-- guys like that, I need to see some outlier combine results and dig a little deeper. If I'm going to take a risk on them, they'd better have plus upside.

I agree with both of you that Colbert is not going to tip his hand, that the class has nobody outside of Edmunds and R Smith that will make us remotely stop missing Shazier, and that there are some solid developmental prospects.

All of that tells me to expect a couple veteran FAs and a day 2 developmental pick to be brought in. This buys time for Shaziers rehab to sort out and for the young pick to develop.

It could be aomething like:
Buck: VWilliams, Timmons
Mack: Anthony Hitchens/Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead, Tyler Matakevich, 3rd rounder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm 

MeanJustinBarlow wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:

I agree with both of you that Colbert is not going to tip his hand, that the class has nobody outside of Edmunds and R Smith that will make us remotely stop missing Shazier, and that there are some solid developmental prospects.

All of that tells me to expect a couple veteran FAs and a day 2 developmental pick to be brought in. This buys time for Shaziers rehab to sort out and for the young pick to develop.

It could be aomething like:
Buck: VWilliams, Timmons
Mack: Anthony Hitchens/Nigel Bradham/Tahir Whitehead, Tyler Matakevich, 3rd rounder

I think that's damn near exactly what they'll do, unless they can't get one of those decent FAs for the money they'll be interested in spending.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:58 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
I see a lot of slow to the edge, slow to react, unaware of what's behind them, washed by blockers, unable to sift through the trash, weak tacklers, inability to play the ball. Even amongst guys that are draft darlings.

This is what I see and was confused by people talking about the depth of the ILB in the draft, There are quite a few Vince Williams type ILB in this draft. Since we already have Vince Williams I would rather not draft another. I am sure Tomlin will go for an overly athletic LB with little to no instincts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:38 am 

Couldn't have put any better:

Kyle Shanahan wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:15 pm 

ILB class is "lean".....translation "we're reaching for ILB in R1"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 pm 

I don't know Kodiak many thought Shazier was a reach too. Coaching is vitol. Players do develop. I know B2B is skeptical on the ILB draft class this draft too. Hopefully Colbert waves his magic wand and lands the BPA of the draft. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:27 pm 

Quote:
None of the prospects at inside linebacker, not even the top ones – Roquan Smith (6-0, 236) of Georgia or Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 253) – will come close to posting the 4.4 time Shazier did in 2014. Curiously, the player who will come close could be a fellow Ohio State linebacker, Jerome Baker, whom NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said “is going to light up the combine.”

Baker (6-1, 229) is a little under-sized, not to mention inconsistent, but Mayock is intrigued by his ability to run sideline to sideline – something the Steelers are seeking to help replace Shazier. Colbert said the other day Shazier will not play in 20128.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803030078
Hmmm....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am 

What about this Shaquem Griffin who put up a 4.38 40? I don't know anything else about him to be honest but it made me think of Shazier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:21 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
None of the prospects at inside linebacker, not even the top ones – Roquan Smith (6-0, 236) of Georgia or Tremaine Edmunds of Virginia Tech (6-4 ½, 253) – will come close to posting the 4.4 time Shazier did in 2014. Curiously, the player who will come close could be a fellow Ohio State linebacker, Jerome Baker, whom NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said “is going to light up the combine.”

Baker (6-1, 229) is a little under-sized, not to mention inconsistent, but Mayock is intrigued by his ability to run sideline to sideline – something the Steelers are seeking to help replace Shazier. Colbert said the other day Shazier will not play in 20128.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/stee ... 1803030078
Hmmm....

LBs were a LOT faster and more athletic than I expected, for the most part.