It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:43 pm 

Quote:
ilcox - DB - Steelers
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects the Steelers to release S J.J. Wilcox.
Wilcox played just 131 2017 snaps after coming over in a September trade from the Bucs. Cutting him would create $3.125 million in cap space while leaving behind just $675,000 in dead money.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-GazetteFeb 15 - 4:47 PM

Mike Mitchell - DB - Steelers
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette expects the Steelers to release FS Mike Mitchell.
The same is true of J.J. Wilcox. Going on 31, Mitchell started 13 games in 2017 but was mostly sub-replacement level. Cutting Mitchell would leave behind $3.135 million in dead money but create $5 million in cap space.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Feb 15 - 4:41 PM

Post subject: Re: Mitchell and Wilcox expected to be released
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:02 pm 

Amen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm 

Great news!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:21 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Great news!

Only if it doesn’t make Robert Golden a starter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 pm 

I guess crying didn’t work.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:36 pm 

smithessmokin wrote:
Amen.

Love it! Maybe Artie has had it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 pm 

Better than winning the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:00 pm 

I almost feel guilty for being so happy about this because I do feel like Mitchell was a hard worker... at the end of the day though, he was the weakest link after Sean Spence... Will be great to see us move on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 pm 

So if they release both Safety that now means we have to replace both so does that come in the draft and has to be a FA too because can't go into the season with Rokie safety

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 pm 

This hasn't happened yet so fingers crossed. I was expecting both to happen and to happen pretty quickly before the March frenzy started.

When you factor in the cost of say a first or second round pick safety (either a $1 million cap hit, or a $750K cap hit) and the cost of a low draft pick/UDFA ($555K cap hit), that combined $8.125 million from cutting Mitchell and Wilcox comes out to the $6.5 million neighborhood in terms of true cap space created.

I know people will beat that tired old drum that they did this so that they can sign Bell or have the money needed to franchise Bell, but I think there are other considerations too.

Rosie Nix and Chris Boswell and maybe Chris Hubbard (?).

They just gave Rosie a 4 year contract. It was 4 years for $7 million (6.975 million to be precise). That makes him the 4th highest paid FB in the NFL. I think he is easily a Pro Bowl quality special teams player and has a chance to be a multi-dimensional FB who can block and also run and catch, be more involved in the offense.

Boswell, easily one of the best place kickers in the NFL right now. I think the Steelers reward him and he is given a nice new contact. How much? The top 4 contracts are for $16, 16, 17 and 22 million. I am thinking that they give Boz a 4 year $17-18 million contract.

Hubbard. Gilbert only has 2 years left on his deal and became injury prone again, and also was suspended for 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. AND was also grumbling about not being paid enough. Hmmm. As much as l love Gilbert when he is healthy and starting, that is a lot of uncertainty. The NFL is tough and the tackle position even more so, we have a great trio in Big Al, Gilbert and Hubbard. Maybe they keep Hubbard and phase out Gilbert after this year? Maybe Hubbard resigns if he thinks he can be the starter by 2019? I am thinking he might get 4 years $18-20 million.

That $6.5 million in cap space created by cutting Wilcox and Mitchell could be used to give Rosie Nix, Chris Boswell and Chris Hubbard new contracts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next