It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers give Boz 2 rnd rfa tender
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm 

Quote:
#Steelers K Chris Boswell got a 2nd-round RFA tender.

Post subject: Re: Steelers give Boz 2 rnd rfa tender
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 pm 

Why would they even fuck around like this?

Totally puzzling move.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:31 pm 

There's only two teams I can see giving up a 2nd round pick for a kicker...Oakland (although not now) and...unfortunately....Pittsburgh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:38 pm 

Why is it a puzzling move?

The Ravens put the franchise tag on Justin Tucker and then eventually signed him to a long term deal in mid-late July.

The Steelers aren't flush with that much money, especially with Bell and his franchise tag. Every little bit helps and signing Boz to that 2nd round tender does save money in the short-term until they give him that new contract in August.

The argument that giving Boz a new contract immediately will free up more money in the first year is just false.

Tucker signed a 4 year $16.8 million contract with a $6 million signing bonus and almost $11 million guaranteed. His first year cap hit was $3.5 million.

Gano just signed a 4 year $17 million contract with Carolina with $9 million guaranteed. Hard to speculate without any real breakdown of his contract but it is probably close to Tucker's first year cap hit.

So, Boz and his $2.9 million cap hit saves the Steelers money until things clear up with free agency, the draft, etc. They don't even really have to give him a new contact this season, they can let it slide until next season and pay the man then.

Also, there is no way some team is going to give up a 2nd round pick and offer more than $18-20 million to steal Boz away from us. That is just a fantasy. I think it is smart business to use the tenders and buy yourself more time when it is appropriate. Wouldn't it suck if the Steelers went ahead and gave Boz that shiny new contract and then were close to signing a free agent safety or ILB but fell just short of the numbers needed to seal the deal? Saving $600,000 by having Boz on the 2nd round tender may help to sign another player in free agency.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm 

Scunge wrote:
Why is it a puzzling move?

The Ravens put the franchise tag on Justin Tucker and then eventually signed him to a long term deal in mid-late July.

The Steelers aren't flush with that much money, especially with Bell and his franchise tag. Every little bit helps and signing Boz to that 2nd round tender does save money in the short-term until they give him that new contract in August.

The argument that giving Boz a new contract immediately will free up more money in the first year is just false.

Tucker signed a 4 year $16.8 million contract with a $6 million signing bonus and almost $11 million guaranteed. His first year cap hit was $3.5 million.

Gano just signed a 4 year $17 million contract with Carolina with $9 million guaranteed. Hard to speculate without any real breakdown of his contract but it is probably close to Tucker's first year cap hit.

So, Boz and his $2.9 million cap hit saves the Steelers money until things clear up with free agency, the draft, etc. They don't even really have to give him a new contact this season, they can let it slide until next season and pay the man then.

Also, there is no way some team is going to give up a 2nd round pick and offer more than $18-20 million to steal Boz away from us. That is just a fantasy. I think it is smart business to use the tenders and buy yourself more time when it is appropriate. Wouldn't it suck if the Steelers went ahead and gave Boz that shiny new contract and then were close to signing a free agent safety or ILB but fell just short of the numbers needed to seal the deal? Saving $600,000 by having Boz on the 2nd round tender may help to sign another player in free agency.

Thanks Scunge, you beat me to it, as I was about to post the same thing, probably not with such detail though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:53 pm 

Ok I stand corrected.

"That Super Bowl was not won yesterday. It was won in a small room in Philadelphia, two weeks ago."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:55 pm 

Probably the smart move, but I don't like messing around with a kicker that has been as "ice" and clutch as Boz. Hard to believe someone would give up a 2nd for a kicker not named Justin Tucker though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Ok I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 pm 

Jeemie wrote:
Ok I stand corrected.

Hold the presses!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:01 am 

An extra 2nd would help the Steelers in this draft too. Not like just anyone would give up a 2nd RND'er for a kicker either. I think Boz is safe to remain a Steeler.