It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What would you do if the Steelers moved to LA?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:19 am 

Let's say the Chargers are still in San Diego, and the Rams are still in St. Louis, and for some reason the Steelers move to LA. What is your reaction? Do you

1) Continue to watch the Steelers as your favorite team in their new home
2) Say F the Steelers, pick a new favorite team, and root for them
3) Say F the Steelers, don't pick a new favorite team, but still watch the NFL, content to watch whatever teams happen to be good at the time
4) Say F the NFL and have nothing more to do with it.

Post subject: Re: What would you do if the Steelers moved to LA?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:23 am 

4, but I’m from Pittsburgh and still live there. I feel like a sizable portion of this board isn’t from western PA and has never been there, so there’s no real connection. Maybe a lot of out of town fans buy into Pittsburgh being a blue collar steel town and see that as the identity of the team? I don’t know. I have a feeling a great many posters saw a team that went 4 in 6 and hitched their wagons to that and don’t really care where the team plays or what it represents. Anyway it’s 3:30am, I’m just spitballing here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 am 

This kinda feels like who would win in a fight between a shark and a gorilla or a leprechaun or genie.

But seriously if the Steelers moved out of Pittsburgh to LA it would be a move based solely on money- something that ownership, in my opinion, has put 3rd or 4th on their football priority list. They understand what the Steelers mean to those who view Pittsburgh as their real home and how the Steelers' success in the 70s lessened the blow of having to leave.

I'm from Monroeville and Penn Hills and I miss it (not in the winter)- I miss it a little less when I see the Steelers playing. I do not think I am alone in that regard. The Steelers leaving Pittsburgh in a cash grab move (like Browns to Baltimore) would be a betrayal that would permanently sever an emotional connection that couldn't be replaced by another team.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:11 am 

I would not give a shit and still call them the Pittsburgh Steelers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:13 am 

I would give up football. I root for the city and the colors not the players.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:37 am 

Im from Erie and i would become a casual nfl fan. I would tune in and watch if there was a good matchup game or the playoffs but not much else. The Steelers are not just pittsburgh they're western Pa.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 am 

It would make it very easy for me to completely ignore the entire NFL. See ya! College football is a much better viewing experience anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:19 am 

It would be similar to James Harrison going to the Patriots for me....go from love to Hate...and as Wood said, might be different for those of us from Western Pa.. I might be too much a football junkie to ignore whole NFL, but with so many games hard to watch, wouldn't be nearly as into it. I might reach the point where hockey DOES become my favorite sport.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:34 am 

I live in LA, so I would probably be a little happy at first to get to see my favorite team, but just like when those teams left Cleveland and Baltimore, I would think less of the NFL. I am from the Burg, so I would feel the betrayal. Teams that are supported should not move.

The greed of the league will lead to it's downfall some day. The Raiders and the Chargers both moved because their cities would not buy the rich owner a new stadium with tax dollars. We did not have football in LA for 20 years because we continually said no to buying some rich owner a stadium. Eventually an owner spent his own money for the stadium. I know the team brings revenue to the city, but we need our tax dollars for more important things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:42 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
It would be similar to James Harrison going to the Patriots for me....go from love to Hate...and as Wood said, might be different for those of us from Western Pa.. I might be too much a football junkie to ignore whole NFL, but with so many games hard to watch, wouldn't be nearly as into it. I might reach the point where hockey DOES become my favorite sport.

Hate, definitely.

Might be different for those not from Western PA, but also might be different for those who never lived in Pittsburgh.

The only reason I became a fan of the Steelers is because I moved to Pittsburgh.

I can speak first hand about what it feels like when your team up and leaves. I, as you know Swiss, was dyed in the wool, luv ya blue Oilers fan. Then Bud Adams decided to extort the city into building him a new stadium. And then when the city would not give in, well, we all know what happened.

And I definitely went the number 4 route.

Didn't watch a single game for years. Until I saw one again live on Halloween night in 2005: Steelers vs Ravens.

Really, I have no idea why people without a geographical connection to a team or who do not have parents that do who cajoled them into being fans would become a fan of a team.