It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bonus
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3197
The All-Pro receiver is converting most of his $7.875 million base salary for 2018 into a signing bonus, according to a source. His new salary will be around $915,000. Brown used Snapchat to post a snippet of agent Drew Rosenhaus explaining his reworked contract.

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
jebrick wrote:
The All-Pro receiver is converting most of his $7.875 million base salary for 2018 into a signing bonus, according to a source. His new salary will be around $915,000. Brown used Snapchat to post a snippet of agent Drew Rosenhaus explaining his reworked contract.


Interesting. By my calculation, they already had the money to tag Bell. Could be freeing up money to go after some FA's, but now that extra cap carries over to the next year this just gives you flexibility.

Because my "pull Bell's tag" theory assumes you're able to spend the money on someone else, and to do that they might need the actual physical cap space firts.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1770
With the updated numbers from AB, Spotrac now estimates the Steelers have just over $1m in cap space, and that includes Mitchell and Willcox. Cutting them would bring an additional $9 million.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:57 pm
Posts: 3197
The way I see it in Sport-trac, after tagging Bell they had 1M left

From Brown's contract on sportac
Quote:
Mar 7 2018 Converted $6.96M in 2018 salary & a $6M roster bonus to signing bonus, clearing $9.72M in cap space for Pittsburgh

_________________
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
- Henri Poincaré


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
jebrick wrote:
The way I see it in Sport-trac, after tagging Bell they had 1M left

From Brown's contract on sportac
Quote:
Mar 7 2018 Converted $6.96M in 2018 salary & a $6M roster bonus to signing bonus, clearing $9.72M in cap space for Pittsburgh


Right. BUT that also includes Shazier, who is 100% likely to get an exemption.

However, since you don't know when you will actually receive the exemption, you need to create space to go after people. It no longer matters since the cap rolls over every year.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 am
Posts: 1039
Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
The way I see it in Sport-trac, after tagging Bell they had 1M left

From Brown's contract on sportac
Quote:
Mar 7 2018 Converted $6.96M in 2018 salary & a $6M roster bonus to signing bonus, clearing $9.72M in cap space for Pittsburgh


Right. BUT that also includes Shazier, who is 100% likely to get an exemption.

However, since you don't know when you will actually receive the exemption, you need to create space to go after people. It no longer matters since the cap rolls over every year.

I thought it was said earlier in the offseason that Shazier's contract would NOT be exempted. Can anyone confirm this?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
smithessmokin wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
The way I see it in Sport-trac, after tagging Bell they had 1M left

From Brown's contract on sportac


Right. BUT that also includes Shazier, who is 100% likely to get an exemption.

However, since you don't know when you will actually receive the exemption, you need to create space to go after people. It no longer matters since the cap rolls over every year.

I thought it was said earlier in the offseason that Shazier's contract would NOT be exempted. Can anyone confirm this?


Everything I've read (which admittedly hasn't been that much) has said an exemption isn't likely, which is exactly what I'd expect out of the NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1598
Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:
The way I see it in Sport-trac, after tagging Bell they had 1M left

From Brown's contract on sportac
Quote:
Mar 7 2018 Converted $6.96M in 2018 salary & a $6M roster bonus to signing bonus, clearing $9.72M in cap space for Pittsburgh


Right. BUT that also includes Shazier, who is 100% likely to get an exemption.

However, since you don't know when you will actually receive the exemption, you need to create space to go after people. It no longer matters since the cap rolls over every year.

Kodiak, can you supply any example of why Shazier will get an exemption? I was hoping that would be the case, but from what I've mostly read, he will count his full $8.718 million against the cap this year - unless we extend him maybe? Thanks for the help.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:14 pm
Posts: 109
Regardless, they have more restructures to do.
They still have draftees and 2-3mil buffer for each working year.
I'm guessing we go to Villy and Ben next to free some $$$.

Still not enough to do much though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
DP39 wrote:
Kodiak, can you supply any example of why Shazier will get an exemption? I was hoping that would be the case, but from what I've mostly read, he will count his full $8.718 million against the cap this year - unless we extend him maybe? Thanks for the help.


Hugely bad PR for PIT and the league if they don't. With no exemption, they would be forcing PIT to cut or reach an injury settlement.

And Colbert already said Shazier would be place on the exemption list.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Last edited by Kodiak on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1945
Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Kodiak, can you supply any example of why Shazier will get an exemption? I was hoping that would be the case, but from what I've mostly read, he will count his full $8.718 million against the cap this year - unless we extend him maybe? Thanks for the help.


Hugely bad PR for PIT and the league if they don't. With no exemption, they would be forcing PIT to cut or reach an injury settlement.

And Colbert already basically said the other day they were getting an exemption.


PIT doesn’t have a say in it and I think you grossly underestimate the NFL’s ability to botch an easy PR opportunity.

As for the Colbert quotes, the only ones I’ve seen are from when he announced Shazier wouldn’t play and they were waiting to hear from the NFL about his roster designation and which “list” he’d be on. I read that as more an issue of how he’d count against the 90 man roster than anything regarding the cap. It certainly was definitely about his salary, that’s for sure.

Definitely hoping you’re right though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
As for the Colbert quotes, the only ones I’ve seen are from when he announced Shazier wouldn’t play and they were waiting to hear from the NFL about his roster designation and which “list” he’d be on. I read that as more an issue of how he’d count against the 90 man roster than anything regarding the cap. It certainly was definitely about his salary, that’s for sure.

Definitely hoping you’re right though.


Colbert has already said Shazier would be placed on the exemption list. Said it a week ago.

The NFL is not going to botch this. Guy was paralyzed on national tv, and it's been national news. PIT is willing to pay him but, c'mon, they can't eat $9M in cap when they are trying to win a SB. I would be raising holy hell if they didn't give me cap relief, and it would get very ugly for Roger and the NFL. That PIT/Colbert haven't said squat tells you they've been given assurances and have no reason to believe otherwise.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1598
Kodiak wrote:
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
As for the Colbert quotes, the only ones I’ve seen are from when he announced Shazier wouldn’t play and they were waiting to hear from the NFL about his roster designation and which “list” he’d be on. I read that as more an issue of how he’d count against the 90 man roster than anything regarding the cap. It certainly was definitely about his salary, that’s for sure.

Definitely hoping you’re right though.


Colbert has already said Shazier would be placed on the exemption list. Said it a week ago.

The NFL is not going to botch this. Guy was paralyzed on national tv, and it's been national news. PIT is willing to pay him but, c'mon, they can't eat $9M in cap when they are trying to win a SB. I would be raising holy hell if they didn't give me cap relief, and it would get very ugly for Roger and the NFL. That PIT/Colbert haven't said squat tells you they've been given assurances and have no reason to believe otherwise.

Not so sure there, Kodiak. The Steelers rarely raise a stink about anything. That's not how they do NFL business. This isn't Dallas and Jerry we're dealing with here. I saw KC's presser and I couldn't discern anything about a cap exemption from it, but I hope you know what you're talking about, because I can't find anyone else that is making that assertion/assumption.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
DP39 wrote:
Not so sure there, Kodiak. The Steelers rarely raise a stink about anything. That's not how they do NFL business. This isn't Dallas and Jerry we're dealing with here. I saw KC's presser and I couldn't discern anything about a cap exemption from it, but I hope you know what you're talking about, because I can't find anyone else that is making that assertion/assumption.


https://sports.yahoo.com/shazier-miss-2 ... --nfl.html

"Colbert said Shazier will be placed on an exemption list during recovery."



Let's be honest. Despite all the feel good stories and "doing the right thing", PIT is trying to win a championship. It is stupid, reckless and irresponsible to eat $9M in cap for a guy who will probably never play again. There are other things you can do to take care of the guy in a responsbile way that don't hit your cap for $9M.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1598
Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Not so sure there, Kodiak. The Steelers rarely raise a stink about anything. That's not how they do NFL business. This isn't Dallas and Jerry we're dealing with here. I saw KC's presser and I couldn't discern anything about a cap exemption from it, but I hope you know what you're talking about, because I can't find anyone else that is making that assertion/assumption.


https://sports.yahoo.com/shazier-miss-2 ... --nfl.html

"Colbert said Shazier will be placed on an exemption list during recovery."



Let's be honest. Despite all the feel good stories and "doing the right thing", PIT is trying to win a championship. It is stupid, reckless and irresponsible to eat $9M in cap for a guy who will probably never play again. There are other things you can do to take care of the guy in a responsbile way that don't hit your cap for $9M.

Again, I don't dispute he will be on some list, my question is whether his salary hit our cap this year. I watched KC's presser and he did say the league will put Ryan on some designated list, but he wasn't sure what it would look like until the fist day of the league year. He did say Ryan WOULD count as one of the 90 roster, so that leaves them at 89.

Could he be put on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List like AP and Vick were? If so, I think those guys salaries still counted if I remember correctly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
DP39 wrote:
Could he be put on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List like AP and Vick were? If so, I think those guys salaries still counted if I remember correctly.


The salary exemption is completely at the Commissioner's discretion. There is absolutely no standard, guideline or rule. This is a guy who is extremely unlikely to ever play again, if not him then who? I really can't believe we're debating this.

I'm saying it is 99.9% certain Shazier will not count against the cap. Otherwise, even if PIT doesn't raise a stink they STILL have to cut him or reach an injury settlement. You simply can't eat $9M in cap - that goes way beyond stupid. It should be 100%, because he's not actually under contract currently.

If Colbert is saying they are going to carry him and honor his contract, then he's been assured of a salary cap exemption. Otherwise he super sucks at his job.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:44 pm
Posts: 105
Yeah, there is a ton of money to be created if necessary.

I just went on overthecap.com and exempted shazier, cut Wilcox and extended Ben and it gave us $18M this year BEFORE cutting Mitchell. Plenty of room.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1598
Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Could he be put on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List like AP and Vick were? If so, I think those guys salaries still counted if I remember correctly.


The salary exemption is completely at the Commissioner's discretion. There is absolutely no standard, guideline or rule. This is a guy who is extremely unlikely to ever play again, if not him then who? I really can't believe we're debating this.

I'm saying it is 99.9% certain Shazier will not count against the cap. Otherwise, even if PIT doesn't raise a stink they STILL have to cut him or reach an injury settlement. You simply can't eat $9M in cap - that goes way beyond stupid. It should be 100%, because he's not actually under contract currently.

If Colbert is saying they are going to carry him and honor his contract, then he's been assured of a salary cap exemption. Otherwise he super sucks at his job.

If you say so, but I can't find any other credible source anywhere clearly stating his salary will not count. Hope your right and not just assuming, because you know what usually happens when we assume.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 12074
DP39 wrote:
If you say so, but I can't find any other credible source anywhere clearly stating his salary will not count. Hope your right and not just assuming, because you know what usually happens when we assume.


I'm assuming Colbert DOES NOT absolutely suck at his job. Otherwise beyond fucking moronic for Shazier to end-up counting against the cap. If you were CLE, sure, but you're tight against the cap and chasing a championship.

Colbert "doesn't know" which exemption list Shazier will be on, but it's "special". That 99% sounds like a cap exemption, as it 100% should be.

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:48 pm
Posts: 1598
Kodiak wrote:
DP39 wrote:
Could he be put on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission List like AP and Vick were? If so, I think those guys salaries still counted if I remember correctly.


The salary exemption is completely at the Commissioner's discretion. There is absolutely no standard, guideline or rule. This is a guy who is extremely unlikely to ever play again, if not him then who? I really can't believe we're debating this.

I'm saying it is 99.9% certain Shazier will not count against the cap. Otherwise, even if PIT doesn't raise a stink they STILL have to cut him or reach an injury settlement. You simply can't eat $9M in cap - that goes way beyond stupid. It should be 100%, because he's not actually under contract currently.

If Colbert is saying they are going to carry him and honor his contract, then he's been assured of a salary cap exemption. Otherwise he super sucks at his job.

What do you mean he's not under contract currently? They picked up his 5th year option last April and it is guaranteed against injury, 100%. Also, there is no injury settlement if they cut him, he is 100% guaranteed his salary of $8+ million no matter what (unless you're trying to call that an injury settlement - kinda wierd).

While I totally agree his SALARY should be exempt and the PR points too, I'm having a hard time getting to your 99.9% assumption.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 am
Posts: 1539
MeanJustinBarlow wrote:
Yeah, there is a ton of money to be created if necessary.

I just went on overthecap.com and exempted shazier, cut Wilcox and extended Ben and it gave us $18M this year BEFORE cutting Mitchell. Plenty of room.


When will they cut both Wilcox and Mitchell?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
Quote:
@TomPelissero
Antonio Brown's restructured contract with the #Steelers frees up $9.7 million in 2018 cap space, source said. Cash is the same. Helps them fit Le'Veon Bell's $14.544M franchise tag under the cap when the league year begins March 14. https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status ... 1178982400
This helps a lot. Thank you Antonio Brown for the cooperation. Now, once they restructure Wilcox and cut Mitchell there's approximately another $5+ Mil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:14 pm
Posts: 1964
Or if they just cut both, that is $8.125 million by letting Wilcox and Mitchell both go.

I don't think anything is going to be done with Shazier. As has been pointed out his $8.7 million 5th year option is fully guaranteed for injury. Ryan is obviously injured, the Steelers have no ability to get out from under paying him that full amount, it is what it is. Also, when was the last time the Commish did us any favors? Look at last season, something as simple as reinstating Bryant back from his year long suspension. I have seen other suspended players fast tracked, made active and able to rejoin the team almost immediately, but with Bryant? It was like the Commish was twisting the knife, making it more difficult than it had to be, taking as long as humanly possible before reinstating Bryant. Remember when he was back with the team (Bryant) in the preseason but we still didn't have word from the Commish in terms of whether or not he would actually be available to play for the regular season? WTF?

So, this douche commissioner is going to turn around and somehow take it easy on us now, and help us with Shazier? I doubt it.

This is the same idiot that suspended Ben with no proof of anything.

The same idiot that used James Harrison and almost made him the poster boy for dirty hits, illegal hits.

The same idiot that used Hines Ward and made him the poster boy for dirty blocks.

Yeah, somehow this guy is going to be nice and help us out with the financial impact of having Shazier injured and not able to play? I will believe it when I see it.

_________________
#greendot51


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Antonio Brown converts 2018 base salary into signing bon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 14251
As much as I agree with your assessment Scunge I think the Steelers keep one of them. Just how desperate they are right now at the safety position. I've seen something recently where they were said to have interest in restructuring Wilcox's contract. Why I made those comments above including the Pelissero tweet. We will see what they'll do.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baltostiller, Donnie Brasco, Google [Bot], GreekSteel, stillthere and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group