It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bud's Fifth Year Option
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:39 pm 

FC wrote:
No fucking way I pick up the option

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:44 pm 

Question -- what is the FT for a 3-4 OLB? I think around 13m? So, not picking up the option permits the ability to retain Dupree at 13m if he does really well. Why would you pick up the option?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm 

I think the draft will dictate it. Hopefully they come away with a good enough prospect to feel comfortable saying no to the option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:12 pm 

The Steelers usually pick up the 5th year option when they really want the player for the long term, when they know it is a precursor to signing a new long term contract.

I would not give him that 5th year option because of how they use their OLBs now. Whether or not you want to believe Dupree dropping into coverage so much is an excuse for him not putting up big numbers as a pass rusher, how do you explain Watt? He dropped into coverage even more, I read with two games remaining in the season that he was the edge rusher with the second most drops into pass coverage.

Many of you can live in denial all you want but what the Steelers are doing with their 3-4 OLBs is different now, is it more like what 4-3 teams expect of their OLBs. I don't see the double digit sacks seasons of a James Harrison or Lamar Woodley ever coming back.

Besides, they spend their money along the defensive line now. It used to be they sunk their money into the OLBs. Remember when Harrison and Woodley both had 50+ million contracts? Now it is Heyward and Tuitt that have $60 million apiece. That tells me all I need to know, the OLBs are not the featured players in this defense anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:23 pm 

Dropping into coverage a lot will eat into any OLBs potential sack total.

Playing soft and like a complete pussy has a much bigger impact.

Basically, dropping into coverage isn’t an excuse for Dupree.

The fact he plays like oversized vagina is.

I remember a play this season where he literally stopped mid play and tip toes around in the backfield. He had a shot at chasing down the QB if he was playing 100% and didn’t give up after his first half assed attempt.

Couldn’t believe my eyes.

Well I could actually as we’ve had a run of turds like this of late.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:41 pm 

This is a tough one. I've seen play(S) like the one 95 describes and it infuriates the shit out of me. Then I'll see play(s) like the one where he leveled the QB on a free run and was flagged/fined for it. So I think you almost have to pick up the 5th year unless your plan is to draft a replacement OLB (Lorenzo Carter) then no I would not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:20 am 

Nope. 9.5MM?!

Scunge I don’t disagree with anything you say, but whatever they are doing with their players right now, the scheme is not good. Sure we looked pretty good on defense a few games last year, but all season long we were gashed by power teams up and down the field.

It absolutely blows to think we went Jervis, then Bust Dupree, and yet year after year we still don’t have a damn body on the roster that can get to the QB from the edge. We are dropping guys into coverage because they aren’t really good at anything else.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:53 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
We are dropping guys into coverage because they aren’t really good at anything else.

I kinda think it's by design that we're dropping OLB's into coverage more now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 pm 

TJ Watt can rush the passer. He actually had quality sacks and pressures last year as a rookie. 7 sacks in 15 games as a rookie. I'll take that. He's a really special player in coverage as well. That frame and those long arms really shrink windows. I can see why they dropped him at times.

Bud Dupree is hot garbage as a pass rusher. He's slow off the snap, has terrible instincts, uses his hands and arms less than a T-Rex, and has no bend around the edge whatsoever. He's also a quitter. He quits on far too many plays for my liking. There is no way a man of that size and frame should be PANCAKED by TEs. Yet, it happened a lot.

The light isn't coming on for him. He is who he is. We better hope we nail an OLB pick or that Keion Adams is a diamond in the rough because that side of our defense fckin blows with him.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 pm 

Quote:
He's also a quitter

Yep.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next