It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What if the Steelers took M RUDOLPH QB with their 28th p
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:39 pm 

I think Rudolph is pretty close to a finished product and will be better than most of the QBs that go ahead of him. I’d be fine with him in round 2. This team has a 3 year window with Ben and need to spend picks to win now. No 1st round QBs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm 

I have to be honest, I’m ok if he is selected. But like Franco points out, he may not be on the board when we pick.

If he is, I see value.

Think Packers selecting Rodgers while Favre still there.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:40 pm 

franco32 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
FC wrote:
I maybe the biggest believer in Mason Randolph...If Ben is done after this year I would consider it. If Ben has two years left I would not

I really like Rudolph. Drafting him in he 1st round this year for this team is asinine beyond belief. Ben told them he wants to play 3 more years at least. Add to that: being crappy for a year after you lose your QB seems to be a better way to get a top QB than to try and muddle along with middling picks.

Do you honestly think Ben's body will last 3 more years? I'm not so sure. Saying you will play 3 more years is easier said than done. Let's say we win a SB this year...I'd be willing to bet Ben might walk away on top. Then what?

Thing is..Rudolph may not last to 28th pick. It may be a moot point.

We suck for a year or two. I’m fine with that.

Anyway, here’s food for thought: you only have that young QB for cheap for the first few years of his contract, and in your scenario, he sits on the bench during that, and you have very little playing time to figure out if you want to give him big $$$, and no window where you can take care of the supporting cast without having to pay a franchise QB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:45 pm 

Yes, but Rudolph won't be there in late round 2. No way. So, do you pass on someone you have evaluated as a franchise potential QB? It's the most important position in football.

I can live with him sitting and learning a year or 2. I don't think Ben makes it 3 years. I just don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:56 pm 

I probably yell a couple of mother fucks because I think picks should be used on players that can help the team win in the short term, with Ben at the helm. Might throw a pillow or two cause I'm too well adjusted to break my own shit. Would probably use that as an excuse to do a couple too many shots as well.

That being said if Colbert and Tomlin were so convinced that Mason Randolph is a transcendent player that can lead the team into the next decade of Steeler greatest (basically that he'd be the next version of Ben) I'd think they'd have to take that shot. But anything short of that type of conviction and you are doing this version of the Steelers a disservice. And I mean stake your career type of conviction, not some half-assed "well we think he can do some things that are impressive" coachspeak b.s.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:58 pm 

if mason rudolph goes in the 1st rnd i will be absolutely stunned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:03 pm 

franco32 wrote:
Yes, but Rudolph won't be there in late round 2. No way. So, do you pass on someone you have evaluated as a franchise potential QB? It's the most important position in football.

I can live with him sitting and learning a year or 2. I don't think Ben makes it 3 years. I just don't.

This is it...you absolutely pick Rudolph if you believe he’s the guy, regardless of Ben.
Last year Ben was talking retirement. This year states he wants to go 3 more years. Ben being Ben...he’s not making 3 more years.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:07 pm 

franco32 wrote:

I agree. It would make sense. He would have 2years to learn the system, no pressure, work as the number 2, work on whatever he needs to with a qb coach, and be ready to take over as soon as #7 retires.
They have filled the starting positions that needed to be filled.
So why not grab Rudolph in the first, you can still go ILB / S in the second or third round, or a WR in the third.
I betting they also pick up 1-2 players that get released for cap reasons, or age but can still play for a year or two.
Don’t forget it took 20 years from Bradshaw to Ben. If it wasn’t such a QB big draft Rudolph wouldn’t get out of the top 15.

Last edited by cop1211 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:08 pm 

GreekSteel wrote:

Def 1st rounders

Alllen
Rosen
Darnold

Most likely

Mayfield - personally I think definitely
Rudolph

Possibly

Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:27 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
GreekSteel wrote:

Def 1st rounders

Alllen
Rosen
Darnold

Most likely

Mayfield - personally I think definitely
Rudolph

Possibly

Jackson

Darnold
Rosen
Allen
Mayfield
Jackson

All 1st rnd locks for me

Rudolph is rnd 2 probably 3rd for me. I dont even think hes all that good but thats just me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next