It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SFPodcast Podcast S11.E3: Post-Draft Recap 11am Wed EST
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:38 pm 

Just hope Big Ben can put aside his differences with the Mason Rudolph pick and groom the kid into the QB he is.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:29 am 

JPPT1974 wrote:
Just hope Big Ben can put aside his differences with the Mason Rudolph pick and groom the kid into the QB he is.

Quote:
Roethlisberger has yet to meet or talk to Rudolph but called him “a good football player.”

“You know he’s able to play. Anytime you get guys to come in, you can try to teach him a little bit, it’s a good thing. I’ll do whatever I can to help. I did that with Landry [Jones] and try to help [Josh] Dobbs as much as I can. Landry does a great job at that, he did it last year with Dobbs. It’s kind of the backup’s role.”

Doesn't sound like Ben has any problems with helping Rudolph.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:55 pm 

I do think you guys are correct in that Marcus Allen is a ST pick. I just do not see a place for him on the Steelers.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:42 pm 

jebrick wrote:
I do think you guys are correct in that Marcus Allen is a ST pick. I just do not see a place for him on the Steelers.

If I squint really hard... he's very young and might be a little smaller than his current playing weight. Perhaps he works as a Telvin Smith type rover. He's comparable to Telvin's size/athleticism/style.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:26 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
jebrick wrote:

If I squint really hard... he's very young and might be a little smaller than his current playing weight. Perhaps he works as a Telvin Smith type rover. He's comparable to Telvin's size/athleticism/style.

If i squint really hard Frazier looks like he could play SS as well :D

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:55 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
JPPT1974 wrote:

Quote:
Roethlisberger has yet to meet or talk to Rudolph but called him “a good football player.”

“You know he’s able to play. Anytime you get guys to come in, you can try to teach him a little bit, it’s a good thing. I’ll do whatever I can to help. I did that with Landry [Jones] and try to help [Josh] Dobbs as much as I can. Landry does a great job at that, he did it last year with Dobbs. It’s kind of the backup’s role.”

This is not aimed at you, b2b.

Is it Ben's job to groom Rudolph?

It appears to me that way too much is being made of this.

We should have a dedicated qb coach to help Rudolph.

I want Ben focused on getting Lombardi #7 and in general being a team leader which would include some tips to Rudolph. But Rudolph learning from Ben will be more Rudolph observing than anything else most likely.

It's on Rudolph to sink or swim with the help of the coaching staff and maybe the help of the #2 qb (Landry). It appears to me to be silly to think this falls on the starting qb.

Some guys are natural teachers and enjoy teaching but many are not and do not excel at it. So if you hear about player x compared to player y in this regard... might not be a fair comparison.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:22 am 

It is indeed much ado about nothing. It's a Steelers town, the Pens are out of the playoffs, the city isn't going to trust the Pirates enough to invest emotionally for a while yet, so there really isn't much else to talk about.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am 

Havoc wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
JPPT1974 wrote:

Quote:

This is not aimed at you, b2b.

Is it Ben's job to groom Rudolph?

It appears to me that way too much is being made of this.

We should have a dedicated qb coach to help Rudolph.

I want Ben focused on getting Lombardi #7 and in general being a team leader which would include some tips to Rudolph. But Rudolph learning from Ben will be more Rudolph observing than anything else most likely.

It's on Rudolph to sink or swim with the help of the coaching staff and maybe the help of the #2 qb (Landry). It appears to me to be silly to think this falls on the starting qb.

Some guys are natural teachers and enjoy teaching but many are not and do not excel at it. So if you hear about player x compared to player y in this regard... might not be a fair comparison.
I read that BR said it's traditionally the #2's job to groom #3 (Even if he's going to take your job. Eventually). He said Landry knows the system, is smart, and is as good a teacher as any.