It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: We have a lot of versatile guys
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:27 pm 

TB, I offer a different take.

Yeah, we lost Shazier but look at what Mike Hilton, TJ Watt and Cam Heyward all did last year. I don't think any of them are going to plateau or slide, I think their play will get better and better.

So, who will join them this year? Stephon Tuitt has more upside than Heyward just has to stay healthy and put it all together. Hargrave, what if the Steelers do more 4-3 type of looks and/or feature him more as an interior pass rusher? Sean Davis, I believe all along that he has been misused and that his best position was FS, now he will get the chance to do just that.

Artie Burns, Joe Haden and Cam Sutton, those are a pretty good trio of CBs. At safety bringing in Burnett drafting Edmunds in the first round.

This defense over the past couple seasons has been fortified, it is flush with high draft picks and accomplished former Pro Bowl free agents. They brought in new coaches in Dunbar and Bradley.

Gone are Mike Mitchell, Willie Gay, Art Moats, Robert Golden, JJ Wilcox, James Harrison, Sean Spence, etc.

I just don't see the status quo anymore, new coaches, new players, many of the problematic weaknesses and players that were exploited are gone. This defense could very well be a top 10 or top 5 unit if they finally put the nails in that Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense's coffin, finally move on to implementing the next Steeler defense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:40 pm 

Yeah, new players, new coaches. There are reasons for thinking the D will be better this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:07 pm 

Scunge wrote:
TB, I offer a different take.

Yeah, we lost Shazier but look at what Mike Hilton, TJ Watt and Cam Heyward all did last year. I don't think any of them are going to plateau or slide, I think their play will get better and better.

So, who will join them this year? Stephon Tuitt has more upside than Heyward just has to stay healthy and put it all together. Hargrave, what if the Steelers do more 4-3 type of looks and/or feature him more as an interior pass rusher? Sean Davis, I believe all along that he has been misused and that his best position was FS, now he will get the chance to do just that.

Artie Burns, Joe Haden and Cam Sutton, those are a pretty good trio of CBs. At safety bringing in Burnett drafting Edmunds in the first round.

This defense over the past couple seasons has been fortified, it is flush with high draft picks and accomplished former Pro Bowl free agents. They brought in new coaches in Dunbar and Bradley.

Gone are Mike Mitchell, Willie Gay, Art Moats, Robert Golden, JJ Wilcox, James Harrison, Sean Spence, etc.

I just don't see the status quo anymore, new coaches, new players, many of the problematic weaknesses and players that were exploited are gone. This defense could very well be a top 10 or top 5 unit if they finally put the nails in that Dick LeBeau 3-4 defense's coffin, finally move on to implementing the next Steeler defense.

Now .... the addition by subtraction does have me slightly hopeful. Getting rid of Mitchell, gay, golden, spence and Wilcox has to lead to some improve,net ... right ? Golden and Mitchell were awful

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:01 am 

I am hopeful that getting rid of Lake will start to pay dividends.