It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Senor Sack Gabe Rivera has passed away
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:10 pm 

Terribly tragic story and but for the accident he might have justified being picked ahead of Marino, hindsight bias notwithstanding.

Post subject: Re: Senor Sack Gabe Rivera has passed away
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 pm 

RIP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:12 pm 

RIP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am 

He was 57, good lord. I'm sure the accident shortened his life, but that is WAY too young. RIP.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 pm 

In all the anger over not drafting Marino (and costing us at least 2 more Superbowls IMO), we sometimes forget that Rivera was showing signs of becoming a pretty darn good football player. RIP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:54 pm 

franco32 wrote:
In all the anger over not drafting Marino (and costing us at least 2 more Superbowls IMO), we sometimes forget that Rivera was showing signs of becoming a pretty darn good football player. RIP

Sad to hear what happened, he seemed to live a productive life once he was able to adjust his outlook after the accident.

Amazing to hear the rumors as to why the Rooney's went with Rivera instead of Marino though.

Reports of them being worried about how Marino was a "party animal" at Pitt and doing cocaine really changed the path of the Steelers for years to come.

They end up taking a guy who was partying too hard one night and ruined his career in his Rookie year while Marino, although not a completely stand up guy, goes on to have a Hall of Fame career at a position that would have transformed the Steelers.

Interesting alternate universe situations.....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:59 pm 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
Reports of them being worried about how Marino was a "party animal" at Pitt and doing cocaine really changed the path of the Steelers for years to come.
Lets just say I have some inside information about Danny Marino. The reports of him as a "party animal" are not unfounded. But that doesn't minimize the fact that he was one talented motherfucker.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Lets just say I have some inside information about Danny Marino. The reports of him as a "party animal" are not unfounded. But that doesn't minimize the fact that he was one talented motherfucker.

:!:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:

Yeah makes this all even more interesting considering the guy they selected was the one who made the big mistake of driving drunk when the Rooney’s were worried about the local kid who had talent but was also “enjoying” his college experience as the Big Man On Campus.

It’s all hindsight, but damn regardless of Rivera getting hurt like that I am convinced that Marino would have changed the Steelers path those years.