It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFL, players agree to suspend national anthem policy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:11 am 

NFL, players agree to suspend controversial national anthem policy

The National Football League and the players association said in a joint statement Thursday that it has made the decision to freeze the controversial national anthem protest policy. Two months ago, the league announced players must stand for the anthem or remain in the locker while it’s performed. Now, the policy has been suspended to allow “constructive dialogue to continue.”

Post subject: Re: NFL, players agree to suspend national anthem policy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 am 

Steelergenie wrote:

The National Football League and the players association said in a joint statement Thursday that it has made the decision to freeze the controversial national anthem protest policy. Two months ago, the league announced players must stand for the anthem or remain in the locker while it’s performed. Now, the policy has been suspended to allow “constructive dialogue to continue.”

It's incredible how bad the NFL is at figuring this shit out.

Their policies are 100% reactive with absolutely no forethought for future ramifications.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:34 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Steelergenie wrote:

It's incredible how bad the NFL is at figuring this shit out.

Their policies are 100% reactive with absolutely no forethought for future ramifications.

If there are PR classes going on in college, they should do a case study on this. Exactly what NOT to do

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:59 am 

Yeah, this is dumb. If it were my business, it's simply "no politics". Feel free to use your own celebrity and own personal time to promote your causes....but gameday is not the place for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Yeah, this is dumb. If it were my business, it's simply "no politics". Feel free to use your own celebrity and own personal time to promote your causes....but gameday is not the place for it.

Then take the politics out of the workplace, owners!

no anthem, no problem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:13 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

no anthem, no problem

No anthem = No $$ from the military

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:17 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

no anthem, no problem

How is the anthem political, exactly? What party or agenda does it represent?

I don't think I've seen a single athlete kneel during their anthem at an Olympic medal ceremony.

Or would you argue that raising a flag at the workplace is a green light for political protests on company time?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:00 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

no anthem, no problem

I don't think I've seen a single athlete kneel during their anthem at an Olympic medal ceremony.

Or would you argue that raising a flag at the workplace is a green light for political protests on company time?

You want to keep politics out of the workplace, start by keeping politics out of the workplace.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:05 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

no anthem, no problem

just sayin...

I agree with B2B but Trump will never let this go. Too much red meat for nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:

no anthem, no problem

No anthem = No $$ from the military
It's what, $6M? NFL is a multi billion dollar industry. This is not about the money. Well, the money from the military, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:09 pm 

Easy fix (2nd part I stole from Twitter, I just forgot who it was):

1. teams stay in locker room during anthem

2. NFL takes marijuana off the list of banned substances, with players agreeing to not protest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 pm 

Steel Mike wrote:
Easy fix (2nd part I stole from Twitter, I just forgot who it was):

1. teams stay in locker room during anthem

2. NFL takes marijuana off the list of banned substances, with players agreeing to not protest

Man, #2 would make the players look like hypocritical pothead idiots.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:29 pm 

Our taxpayer dollars should not be going to the NFL to make players come out to the sidelines for the National Anthem. The NFL should stop accepting those payments * and the players stay in the locker room, and this goes away.

* :lol: I know. Those greedy money-grubbers voluntarily passing on every last nickel they could get?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:19 pm 

Poltargyst wrote:
Our taxpayer dollars should not be going to the NFL to make players come out to the sidelines for the National Anthem. The NFL should stop accepting those payments * and the players stay in the locker room, and this goes away.

* :lol: I know. Those greedy money-grubbers voluntarily passing on every last nickel they could get?

The NFL is a business. Some of you guys start wrapping your mind around that and you’ll be less upset about their “practices”.
Or maybe not...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 pm 

The biggest dog whistle issue ever!

Had red scare in the 50’s that appears to have been unwarranted, seems like a red scare is warranted now and it would appear the people are asleep at the wheel.

Let’s quit worrying about the Stars and Stripes and who stands for it in the NFL and start to worry about the other red white and blue flag being waved by some in DC.

Trump suggesting rules for the NFL anthem policy is straight out of bizarro world. You could not make this stuff up...Mr Patriot giving Putin a blow job on national TV, having the audacity to blow the dog whistle of the NFL anthem policy and suggest rules on how to behave with your employer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:14 pm 

This is the gift that keeps giving
Paid patriotism meets employee activist
As stated previously there are only two real solutions
Stop taking the advertisers money or make em stand as an employee policy like talking to the press.
This isn't about free speech

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:03 pm 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

Had red scare in the 50’s that appears to have been unwarranted, seems like a red scare is warranted now and it would appear the people are asleep at the wheel.

Let’s quit worrying about the Stars and Stripes and who stands for it in the NFL and start to worry about the other red white and blue flag being waved by some in DC.

Trump suggesting rules for the NFL anthem policy is straight out of bizarro world. You could not make this stuff up...Mr Patriot giving Putin a blow job on national TV, having the audacity to blow the dog whistle of the NFL anthem policy and suggest rules on how to behave with your employer.

Oh no he didn't .... go there ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 pm 

Stop with the politics.

Back to the anthem. Your employer can set whatever rules it wants. Many corporations nowadays are engaging in blatant corporate activism (primarily liberal ideas). Don't like it? Tough luck. If you are a Christian or Muslim that doesn't believe in same-sex marriage? Don't try to even express it at work or you'll be fired.

So, why do silicon valley corporations (private employers like the NFL) get to suppress speech, indoctrinate their workers, and punish anyone not adhering to their orthodoxy...but the NFL can't set a policy on anthems?

I don't get the double standard. Google can fire someone because of their mere opinion on transgender bathroom usage but the NFL cannot act against the players if they feel the players are alienating many of their customers?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:59 am 

Only when their opinion seems to represent the company. Google was fine to debate Darmore until he or someone made the memo public. Then it is public and a PR issue. Engineers are easier to replace than pro football players which is the rub for the NFL. The NFL has long marketed the players as representing the NFL and the NFL has been marketing the league as Patriotic ( flag displays, military reps, ect). Now they are in a bind. By all rights they should be firing the protestors but that means crippling their teams which costs them money and fans. By keeping them and having the President use them as red meat for his base costs them fans and money. Now they can't go back to the way it was when the teams stayed in the locker room because the President will not let them get off easy if he can fire up his base.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:16 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

no anthem, no problem

You want to keep politics out of the workplace, start by keeping politics out of the workplace.

:lol: Yeah, except for that little moment that no one remembers. :D

Goodell and the NFL completely botching this again and again and again is completely unsurprising. Worst commissioner in pro sports with a bullet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:26 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:

SO SPOT ON!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:53 am 

Here's where I am with this, and it has zero to do with The Fuckin' Douchebag Donald Trump. I HATE having to agree with that dick on anything, but I do on this one. Finally, on Trump....nice to know that the President of the United States is a fuckin' traitor!!

Anyway, onto the anthem. I happen to like the anthem. I like when it's televised. In fact, I'll tune into NHL games between US & Canadian teams just so I can see both anthems, them turn if off if it's a game I'm not interested in.

Here's what I think the protestors miss. They keep saying that they're not disrespecting the flag, disrespecting the military....but...tons of people for whom their message is intended...like ME...perceive that that's exactly what's happening.

It's this simple, and said this from the beginning. If one of my staff was at an event on work time, and sat on their ass, or kneeled when the anthem was being played, they'd be shit-canned in a heartbeat. NFL should take the same position. Well, they wouldn't fire these guys, but had the right thought in terms of discipline.

The END.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:15 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Here's where I am with this, and it has zero to do with The Fuckin' Douchebag Donald Trump. I HATE having to agree with that dick on anything, but I do on this one. Finally, on Trump....nice to know that the President of the United States is a fuckin' traitor!!

Anyway, onto the anthem. I happen to like the anthem. I like when it's televised. In fact, I'll tune into NHL games between US & Canadian teams just so I can see both anthems, them turn if off if it's a game I'm not interested in.

Here's what I think the protestors miss. They keep saying that they're not disrespecting the flag, disrespecting the military....but...tons of people for whom their message is intended...like ME...perceive that that's exactly what's happening.

It's this simple, and said this from the beginning. If one of my staff was at an event on work time, and sat on their ass, or kneeled when the anthem was being played, they'd be shit-canned in a heartbeat. NFL should take the same position. Well, they wouldn't fire these guys, but had the right thought in terms of discipline.

The END.

Why must the douchebag Roger Goodell have anything to do with it though? Seems to me the obvious solution is to leave it up to the individual team owners. Pussy owners won’t like this, but those with integrity will be fine owning their decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:05 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:

The END.

Why must the douchebag Roger Goodell have anything to do with it though? Seems to me the obvious solution is to leave it up to the individual team owners. Pussy owners won’t like this, but those with integrity will be fine owning their decisions.

Believe it or not, Lit...WE AGREE!!! I'm good with the employer making the call. Would be VERY interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:47 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Seems to me the obvious solution is to leave it up to the individual team owners. Pussy owners won’t like this, but those with integrity will be fine owning their decisions.

As a libertarian/free market guy, I agree. But free agency and the CBA make this suggestion simply impractical. You try to fine players, you'll get sued by the CBA, and lose in FA.

So it needs to be a league-wide policy, set by Goodell, as approved by a majority of owners. And maybe that's exactly the reason Roger reversed himself. But if it's just a handful of owners who care, then you it's either a league-wide policy of "nothing" or you leave it to individual owners (which will work out basically the same, in the end).

At the end of the day, it probably makes the most sense for the NFL to just not play the Anthem. The money they lose from the military pales in comparison to the impact from some of the fan base. Or just keep the players in the locker room, but for some reason that's not workable....because players are demanding to be able to go out and sit for the Anthem?!?