It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Camp
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm 

FC wrote:
How much improvement can the Steelers expect from MacDonald and Outlaw

I am hoping McDonald is healthy this season. I personally feel he can be a big match up problem for D's. Faster than most LB's and if you take a DB to cover him it creates space for the WR's and Bell. James I think will improve like he has every year as well hopefully he takes a big step this year. He just turned 24 in June and that is still really young for a guy with a few seasons experience. I know he will never be really swift of foot but he is a big effort guy and has decently soft hands for his size. Grimble flashes on one play then disappears for 5 quarters it seems but he is also not on the field a whole lot. I kinda like the mix we have at TE currently. Here is to Fichtner using them all to there strengths and creating another layer for the defense's to worry about when they see us.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:20 pm 

I think Bostic wins the job and there going to some UDFA making noise imo
Thomas is the Defense guy to watch .
I also going to say that Big Dan will have that fire and win the Backup Nose tackle job.
I like Gilmore and Sayers to fight for spots on the DL and PS
I also like Brian Allen think his second year is going to have a solid camp and prove more than a ST GUY.
Another guy is Trey Johnson the Fast cb from Villanova.
The OL line guys to be watching for is RJ Prince and Patrick Morris.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:04 pm 

Patrick Morris for me is a big time sleeper, he might be somebody that could find his way on the roster and give the Steelers an option in 2020. Pouncey will be 30 years old and be a free agent at that point, do you give him another extension? There could be young players in 2020 that are going to cash in on large extensions and Pouncey may just have to be sacrificed to keep those other players.

For example, say Artie Burns really flourishes, becomes a top corner and we pick up his 5th year option but then sign him to a large extension. Keeping Pouncey and signing him to a new deal where he is making $7.5 million per year might not be possible.

Which is where Morris comes in, I can see him playing so well that the Steeler HAVE to keep him on the roster, would be poached off the practice squad. Then after two years on the team developing he is ready to step in as a starter in year 3, the 2020 season. For those that say, hey, Scunge you are nuts we have BJ Finney, he can play center! Sure, he could but isn't he be groomed to take Ramon Foster's starting spot? Cant't play two positions at once.

I see the two Florida Gators, Marcus Gilbert and Pouncey both being phased out over the next couple years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:15 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
I think they will be looking for cuts also at the OLB spot .

100% agree here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:25 pm 

Scunge wrote:
I see the two Florida Gators, Marcus Gilbert and Pouncey both being phased out over the next couple years.

Both are UFAs in 2020 will be 31 and 32, respectively. So one would hope that a contingency plan is in place. I could see one of them being signed to a 3(ish) year deal, but not both.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:20 pm 

I'd be hard pressed to say which of those two has been less... errr... more durable over their careers. Just based on that history, I have to hope there's a replacement plan in place.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:57 pm 

When those guys leave think you see Ben leave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 pm 

Well, Gilbert, when he is on the field, I do think he is a great RT, but he does miss time, he also has been suspended for PEDs, and he is unhappy about the contract that he signed, feels he is underpaid.

I think that the Steelers will move on from him and that is why they drafted Chuks in the 3rd round. Some outsiders may have thought of that as a surprise selection but it made sense to me knowing about Gilbert. I think that Chuks will get the Marvell Smith/Kelvin Beachum treatment, meaning that the plan will probably be that he starts on right side at RT and then eventually moves over to LT to replace Big Al when he retires.

Pouncey's brother Mike just signed for $7.5 million a year, and with all of the top centers going to be paid in the next couple years, the market for Pouncey may be such that he can make more leaving the Steelers. I think the Steelers should do everything possible between now and then to have a backup plan and keeping Morris in the fold may be part of that.

For those that don't know anything about Morris here is a little morsel for you, he was one of the most athletic center prospects to come out in quite some time.

6'2.5" 300 pounder ran a 5.09 40 (Pouncey 5.29), had 37 reps (Pouncey 25), 35.5" vertical jump (Pouncey 27"), 4.41 short shuttle (Pouncey 4.92), 7.34 3 cone (Pouncey 7.74)

Pouncey was thought to be one of the most athletic, smoothest centers to come out when he was drafted, yet Morris easily trumps him in nearly every category (Morris does not have the height or length). Morris just did not have that body of work in college, did not have the 3 years of starting to make teams draft him I guess.

This is one of those typical, classic Colbert undrafted gems. I feel Morris should have been at the very least a 4th round pick and we picked him up as an UDFA. Morris, Gilmore and Matthew Thomas all could have been taken in rounds 4-5 and we got them as UDFAs, this is one of the best UDFA hauls by Colbert in quite some time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:17 am 

As the original fan of Patrick Morris and Okorafor...Both players have talent. They both have huge issues that need to be addressed technique wise.

I expect Morris takes Foster's job...Next season. Morris issues can be solved quickly because of his athleticism. Morris was ruined by the garbage spread offenses that have overtaken college football. Morris needs a ton of work on his pass sets...Footwork....Hand placement

Parker Collins is the young center to keep an eye on...He has similar technique issues to Morris without the athletic gifts...He also has a Cody Wallace type of disposition

I would have my money on Collins to get in the 1st fight of camp

Okorafor is a piece of clay....Long arms....Good disposition for the position. He needs so much work in the passing game

I just finished listening to the NFL talking heads...They feel the tight end position is on the way out of the NFL like the fullback was phased out 10-15 years ago. They had an interesting take.

-Players who have been drafted at the position have either busted or they cant handle the physicality of the NFL
-The quality players at the position for the most part are over 30
-They consider Engram and Kelce slot receivers because they are never asked or expected to block

Zach Ertz and George Kittle are the only examples of quality tight ends given

Should be real interesting

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:43 am 

FC wrote:
As the original fan of Patrick Morris and Okorafor...Both players have talent. They both have huge issues that need to be addressed technique wise.

I expect Morris takes Foster's job...Next season. Morris issues can be solved quickly because of his athleticism. Morris was ruined by the garbage spread offenses that have overtaken college football. Morris needs a ton of work on his pass sets...Footwork....Hand placement

Parker Collins is the young center to keep an eye on...He has similar technique issues to Morris without the athletic gifts...He also has a Cody Wallace type of disposition

I would have my money on Collins to get in the 1st fight of camp

Okorafor is a piece of clay....Long arms....Good disposition for the position. He needs so much work in the passing game

You think Finney factors in at all, or no?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:58 am 

Yes Finney is going to make the roster IMO

Collins is fight for PS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:06 pm 

FC wrote:

Collins is fight for PS

Oh, no doubt, but I was thinking longer term - I've thought of Finney as the heir apparent to Foster.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm 

Pabst wrote:
FC wrote:

Collins is fight for PS

Oh, no doubt, but I was thinking longer term - I've thought of Finney as the heir apparent to Foster.

Finney was pretty up and down as a G, I thought, so it depends whether you’re an optimist or pessimist at heart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:56 pm 

Finney is a much better Guard than Center IMO and think Morris will so the ability to handle that position like he showed Vs Stanford. but i keep an on your guy Collins too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:04 pm 

Quote:
1m
Backup center Parker Collins getting taken off on a cart. Trainers were working on right knee. #Steelers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:14 pm 

Quote:
The Steelers’ first practice of training camp opened with “Seven Shots,” the two-point conversion/short-yardage drill that has become the team’s jump-starting procedure in recent seasons.

It didn’t disappoint.

Among the offensive highlights:

-Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hitting running back James Conner for a score on the first snap.

-Roethlisberger executing a pump-fake and then finding wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster in the back of the end zone.

-And quarterback Landry Jones drilling a pass to wide receiver James Washington on the final rep. Washington’s combat catch against cornerback Coty Sensabaugh at the goal line finished the drill at 4-3 in favor of the offense.

Quote:
TWO-FOR-ONE: Inside linebackers Tyler Matakevich and Jon Bostic shared time lining up next to Vince Williams, with Matakevich playing in the base defense and Bostic taking over in the five-defensive backs “nickel” alignment

https://www.steelers.com/news/practice-report-off-and-running

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 pm 

hey thanks for the updates makes my dad. bad news on Collins but think we see Morris taking over as Center behind Pouncey.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:00 pm 

Any insights or thoughts from the group here about Heyward being listed as a DT now vs a DE?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am 

Starting at about the 00:55 mark thru the 2:10 mark, Ben talks about eating healthier. Acknowledged a nutritionist is helping him. Said he hopes it helps him extend his career.

https://www.steelers.com/video/roethlisberger-it-s-fun-this-time-of-year

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:53 pm 

Quote:
Alex Kozora
@Alex_Kozora
Center Parker Collins, carted off yesterday, looks to be practicing today. #Steelers

11:45 AM - Jul 27, 2018

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:33 pm 

Cam is going to play as a tackle in the 4-3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:09 am 

Saw this on espn.com, posted by Jeremy Fowler:

"Sean Davis confirmed he's making the move to free safety for the Steelers, who like his range on the back end. Davis believes there are more picks to be made back there."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:07 am 

AF Stiller Fan wrote:
Saw this on espn.com, posted by Jeremy Fowler:

"Sean Davis confirmed he's making the move to free safety for the Steelers, who like his range on the back end. Davis believes there are more picks to be made back there."

Hope this works!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:54 pm 

The funniest part of this "update" regarding Sean Davis moving to FS is that we literally dont have another viable option on the roster to man the spot.

Based on his tape and evolution with the Pack you can be assured that Morgan Burnett is gonna be lined up in the box more often than not.

Gotta tip my cap to the front office in their proactive approach to overhaul the D as they did and implement a new hybrid style attack sans Shazier.

I expect Bryan Allen to make a MAJOR leap forward and be the WOW factor in camp. Jaylen Samuels being the other standout in Latrobe with his multiple skill set.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:08 pm 

IMO the only thing stopping Davis from playing his [IMO] "Natural Position" in the NFL was Mitchell already playing there. Although Mitchell was a poor excuse for FS he was played there because Tomlin. See the "More from Deebo thread" where I posted commentary on the 'coaching comparison' debate.

Davis is a legit candidate for the FS position. Now whether or not that's why Davis was originally drafted I don't pretend to know. There are other options for FS on the roster but in this case I think Davis is the natural fit with actual NFL experience that will pay off going forward. I agree with zabo. Between Burnett and Edmunds the slash player or SS/ILB will be maned up by both. I think they're hoping Allen is capable of boundary corner but can play either safety or corner. Be nice if they had a package where Allen [should he pan out] would be maned up on the bigger receivers and TE's. I too hope Allen steps up big.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next