It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Re-watch
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm 

I got thru most of the rewatch.

James Harrison has a time machine. And like his first time thru here, he is going to need to add a lot of muscle to that frame.

But seriously, I love the kid from Toledo. I hope they find a way to keep him around. It will be interesting to see what he develops into a couple years down the road. Stripping the football coming from the qb's blind side is an art... and like the 92 before him, this kid has it.

Chuks did not disappoint. I think we made a good pick here. Huge body that can move laterally. He is in the Munchak OL factory... the perfect place for him.

Washington... man what a physical beast for a wr. Great highpoint on the downfield catch and when he goes up, that big body is going to by default shield a lot of defenders.

Disappointed that Samuels did not flash. Not saying it's his fault though.

Adams... looks lower body strong but think he might still need to add some upper body strength. He's still a work in progress but improving.

Rudolph... seems to be a relentless, tenacious student of the game. He is a work in progress at taking snaps under center. Thought he threw the football well. 8.4 Y/A. Had a little zip on the skinny post throw, IMO. Noticeable difference when Dobbs unleashes the football downfield though in terms of arm strength. It appears, that when Ben does hang em up that we might not suck at the position (speaking of Rudolph)

Connor 4 CAR 6.3 ypc. A north south runner (no news here). Nothing wrong with that. It can be effective. Did not get it done in pass pro on one play that I remember.

Patterson... big day with 6 rec for 77 yds. Like many have stated, looks like the kid has something. Seemed slow to get his head around and react to the skinny post throw. Made a spectacular catch on the TD and showed some cool athleticism on the backflip.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

Great breakdown...I find nothing to disagree with which is very rare

I cannot express how impressed I was with Jake Rodgers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:55 pm 

jebrick wrote:
The Browns were 4-0 in preseason last year. W-L means nothing. Coaches are looking at players in different situations.

That's not what I said...a losing preseason record does not bode well. Someone did it for 10 SB winners in the below thread, and only 2 had a losing record in preseason. Would be interesting to do a larger sample, but that percentage probably isn't going lower.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3 ... champions/

What I said is SB caliber teams rarely go worse than 2-2. It's an indicator of depth and raw talent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:59 pm 

OK, so when I thought I saw some actual definition in Ben's arms I wasn't imagining it. He looks to me like his body fat% could be the lowest of his career. I'd have to see more photos, but his face looks thinner, too....which means he's really toned up.

Steelafan77 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
OK, so when I thought I saw some actual definition in Ben's arms I wasn't imagining it. He looks to me like his body fat% could be the lowest of his career. I'd have to see more photos, but his face looks thinner, too....which means he's really toned up.

Now you've set the stage for some Brady Quinn comparisons. Thanks. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 pm 

I thought Frazier was not on par covering the center twice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:43 pm 

FC wrote:
Great breakdown...I find nothing to disagree with which is very rare

I cannot express how impressed I was with Jake Rodgers

He was a good prospect when he came out but his technique is so much better now. I’ll be totally unsurprised if he makes the team. I mean he was a B2B Directional State guy, after all. I hear an interview with him during that draft season and he was a really smart and down to earth kid.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:44 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
I thought Frazier was not on par covering the center twice

Don’t know about he first one, but the second one was pure bullshit— he wasn’t covering up the center.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:07 pm 

i havent watched twice yet but here are a few things that jumped out to me.

combat catches. JuJu went up and high pointed his TD catch. Washington went way up for a big play. just like to see these guys go up and get it. Alien never seemed to win those. i think the team is much smarter at WR. i would be willing to bet more coachable too. Washington and Patterson showed well but both also had route running errors.

That TD pass from Dobbs was a fucking rocket. he fired a few more into small windows. the arm talent is there. we know the guy is smart. next few weeks are big for this guy.

Rudolph appears to throw a "nice" ball. impressive outing when you think back to other debuts by rookie qbs in first preseason games. i think the WR robbed him of a TD pass by running a poor route.

i really liked what i saw from Ridley. fluid. wiggle. catches well. finishes going forward. he looks like a "right place right time" guy. if he is a reliable pass protector, he is my #2 back. i know i know connor connor connor.
he needs to learn how to block. period. until he does he is nothing more than a one trick pony.

i think we have already seen what Chick has to offer. think we've seen his best already and it just isnt good enough. more Hugeinin (sp?) more Adams more 92.

loved the iggles rookie TE. then again, this team doesnt cover TEs. some things never change.

Javon Hargrave started slow but came on and had a strong performance i thought.

was it just me, or every time the defense gave up easy yards in the run game it was either Chick or 44?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:46 am 

I was really disappointed in Matakevich. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt coming into this season, but man, for somebody who actually tested better overall than Vince Williams in things like the 3 cone time and short shuttle, it is a bit shocking that he does not play better in space, and in reverse.

That was not Russell Wilson at QB or Todd Gurley at RB, and yet Philly's QB and RBs were able to juke out #44, easily sidestep him, etc. And this was with him just moving forward trying to make the tackle. I see no way that he can be a starter, he is a strictly a backup and special teams player. I just don't see the upside of say a Vince Williams. Ideally you want to upgrade from him as well but with Williams you can get by and have a limited, functional starter. With Dirty Red, I don't know if even that is possible.

The thing I loved most about the game is that secondary seems to be playing with more confidence and swagger. Funny, in the past couple weeks Ross Cockrell got injured and is out for the year and Shmarko Thomas became the first player to be ejected for leading with his helmet. We used to have knuckleheads that did not play smart, or were too soft and now we seem to have an abundance of playmakers, the depth is incredibly strong. An injury in years past might have doomed the defense but now we have Cam Sutton, Terrell Edmunds that could easily step in and start and may actually be an improvement over the injured starter. Great time for this defense and for the secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:57 am 

Ridley not getting out of bounds in the 2min drill, though... rookie mistake.

I have a feeling Jaylen Samuels is going to get some snaps earlier in the rotation in the next couple of weeks. I'm interested to see if he gets better as camp goes on, or if he wears down.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 am 

Rewatch for me...

Dobbs is lucky he didn't throw 3 interceptions, however his TD pass was the best ball he's thrown in a Steeler uniform.

OLB and ILB are thin. I would be very surprised if a few vets are not brought in before the season starts. Matekavich stinks. Time to move on from Chickillo. Where the hell is Novorro Bowman?

Obviously impressed with Patterson. Nice to hear he was running with the ones in practice yesterday.

Chuks looked good. Gilbert's eventual replacement.

Thought both Ridley and Frenchy did some things well. Going to be a battle the rest of the way between those two.

Crazy to think, but after so many down years, the secondary will be one of the biggest strengths on the team.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:55 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:
OLB and ILB are thin. I would be very surprised if a few vets are not brought in before the season starts. Matekavich stinks. Time to move on from Chickillo. Where the hell is Novorro Bowman?

Bowman is another Buck, man. I mean, he helps the depth there or replaces VW... but that's far from the team's worst position.

If I were king of Steelers Nation, and just based on what I've seen of these players last year and this, (and assuming everyone's healthy), my Steelers defenses look like this:

3-4 base:
Heyward-Hargrave & McCullers platoon-Tuitt
Watt-Bostic & LJ Fort Platoon-VW-Dupree
Haden-Edmunds & Burnett platoon-Davis-Burns

In nickel, NT off, Mike Hilton at slot.

In dime:
Watt-Heyward-Tuitt-Dupree & Adeniyi
LJ Fort & Matthew Thomas platoon
Haden-Hilton-Sutton-Edmunds-Burnett-Burns

In dollar, remove one front line pass rusher and replace with Sean Davis in secondary.

An alternative for 2019 and perhaps later in the year is to play Edmunds at Mack LB.

I'm not desperate to bring in a new Mack LB. Just need to play the best players you already have.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:22 am 

I've been re-watching the game and I am impressed with Rodgers. I did not notice him before and he was in the game early.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

I have a feeling Jaylen Samuels is going to get some snaps earlier in the rotation in the next couple of weeks. I'm interested to see if he gets better as camp goes on, or if he wears down.

holy shit, I forgot about that. that was nuts. i laughed my ass off when he did that b/c i was so stunned.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:13 pm 

SteelyourFace wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

holy shit, I forgot about that. that was nuts. i laughed my ass off when he did that b/c i was so stunned.

Does he run out of bounds if he is wearing a Patriot uniform...
Or did Ridley start taking stupit pills.

First thought was, how does a vet like Ridley not get out of bounds.
I can see his thought of needing one miss and he may hit the endzone.
But.

On that note.
I take Ridley over Frenchy.
I think he is quicker running the ball and better catching balls out of backfield.

Last edited by Stosh-67 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

If I were king of Steelers Nation, and just based on what I've seen of these players last year and this, (and assuming everyone's healthy), my Steelers defenses look like this:

3-4 base:

In dime:

Is this mistyped? Or would you really play McCullers over Tuitt in the base defense? Why if so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:16 pm 

Fitz (won't say Frenchy, insult to a very good Steeler RB) is like a cockroach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:30 pm 

fractalsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

3-4 base:

In dime:

Is this mistyped? Or would you really play McCullers over Tuitt in the base defense? Why if so.

I think maybe you misread... Hargrave & McCullers platoon. Probably impossible, though, because they're unlikely to dress more than 5 DL.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:51 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
fractalsteel wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

3-4 base:

In dime:

I think maybe you misread... Hargrave & McCullers platoon. Probably impossible, though, because they're unlikely to dress more than 5 DL.

Yeah, I see what you did with the hyphens. I was reading it LDE Heyward/Nose Hargrave and RDE McCullers which makes no sense on the right side and Tuitt as the sub.