It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers give up 51 points
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:18 am 

Hard to get optimistic over this D. Torched over the middle, blown assignments, lack of preparedness, poor tackling. You can go on and on. This doesn't look like a quick fix.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:15 am 

Holy hell.

We already have "Sky is falling" and "Tomlin is a potted plant" before our 3rd preseason game. This is a personal best for us here at SF.

Maybe next year we can figure out how the Steelers will fare at the voluntary OTAs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:43 am 

I'm trying not to overly over react here when I say the defense scares the shit out of me. The linebacking group is pathetic and embarrassing. This is just preseason where not a lot matters. This IMHO matters a lot though. Bostic has not impressed and has not proved he is the next in line to play alongside VWill. Bostic is a huge disappointment to me. Matakevich isn't far behind but at least we knew what we had in him. Pass rushers are a complete disappointment. Dupree is very close to bust status and Chickillo is who we know him to be. A bottom tier backup (JAG). Adeniyi and Adams are still very raw and in need of much development. Nothing that can be done in time for the regular season. Adams in his second year isn't proving much. Injuries inside this team have become alarming. I realize the injury bug has bitten every team and that says something in and of itself. Everywhere I've looked has the Steelers with 10 linebackers. 10 mediocre [JAG's] well, perhaps Watt proves he's not in that group as soon as he's healthy enough to take the field that is. The Steelers defense is in some trouble folks. Giving up a 50+ burger in preseason is alarming to me. I know "stop panicking" and all that happy horseshit. I hope to be extremely off base with this. I hope the defense proves to be a juggernaut as the season unfolds. I just can't see it yet.

Quote:
Hmmm....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:04 am 

This D is a continuation of last year's play. Let the Turk get rid of the dead wood like Cooty and Chick and get some new faces.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:56 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:02 pm 

I am not a "sky is falling" guy. But if you have been watching our D and you don't have some real degree of concern then you are a "pie in the sky" guy ... no better than a "sky is falling guy."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:26 pm 

remember when Philly shredded us in Preseason game 3... and then the defense finished 11th overall that year? They had some holes but figured out how to make it work well enough to win.

I don't think this defense is as bad as that one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 pm 

StillerInCT wrote:
Holy hell.

We already have "Sky is falling" and "Tomlin is a potted plant" before our 3rd preseason game. This is a personal best for us here at SF.

Maybe next year we can figure out how the Steelers will fare at the voluntary OTAs.

Lol, right on man.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:30 pm 

I'm not going to worry until I see them in the regular season. I don't believe coaches coach to win preseason games but to see how individuals perform. If they're giving up 50 points in the regular season, I'll agree that would be...problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:35 pm 

That game was one of the stupidest games of football I’ve ever witnessed.

High school teams should play that for freshman and say, see you’re not that far from the nfl.

It made the fourth quarter of the pro bowl look like the immaculate reception.

You get my point.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 pm 

You've got 2 new very experienced position coaches trying to get the best out of what we have. The best way to figure out something is when things go wrong. No one tries to figure out things when things are going right. Its human nature to assume that things are fine when you're winning or making money. But flawed teams and companies get exposed eventually and then it all comes crashing down.

I would rather get "torched" for 51 in a preseason game on the road in order for the coaches to go back to the players and say " this is why we do it this way and not your way". This defense has good talent on it. Its one of the fastest and most flexible we've had in some time. But even with all that it's going to take a bit of time for everyone on that side to trust each other in technique and assignment. My expectation is the unit will have its sea legs by week 4 and will trend up from there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:22 pm 

VeritasSteel wrote:
I would rather get "torched" for 51 in a preseason game on the road in order for the coaches to go back to the players and say " this is why we do it this way and not your way".

Someone may prefer their wife cheat on them before the wedding than after (pick your cliche, this is random) but one can't ignore doing the former may be some evidence it will occur after the latter. Again, we shouldn't pretend the preseason is a definitive indicator of where this is going but if you don't have some concerns you are equally blind.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:32 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
remember when Philly shredded us in Preseason game 3... and then the defense finished 11th overall that year?

My memory is a bit sketchy.....did we make the SB that year?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:09 am 

Kodiak wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:
remember when Philly shredded us in Preseason game 3... and then the defense finished 11th overall that year?

My memory is a bit sketchy.....did we make the SB that year?

2010: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010082951/2010/PRE3/steelers@broncos#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A09000d5d81a299df&tab=recap&analyze=boxscore
2005 Mon. Aug. 15 8:00 p.m. ESPN Philadelphia Eagles W 38–31 Heinz Field 1–0

even 2008 had a game where d was porous...
Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29801/BUF_Gamebook.pdf

Quote:
1995: 2 Sun. Aug. 13 Green Bay Packers Three Rivers Stadium 1:00 p.m. NBC L 36–13 1–1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:19 pm 

Tomlin is pissed about the GB game. Claims we gave up leverage on possession downs like 3rd and 4. Guess what Mike, we were giving up leverage on 1st and 2nd downs too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:49 pm 

We should have been transitioning to a 4-3 when guys like Farrior, Troy, Foote, etc left or retired. It should have been far gone once LeBeau was showed to door. Right now, I don't see what made the FO so hell bent to keep Butler as DC.

We don't have the linebackers for this scheme. Whatever it is. Matakevich can't play, Bostic is a journeyman, Williams is a backup. We've been spectacularly awful at drafting LB's and DB's for the past decade and as a result we've been we've resorted to band aids (Moats, Bostic, William Gay part two, etc) to plug holes.

I rolled my eyes when Tom Bradley was announced as the new DB coach. A rah-rah Paterno guy that's never worked a day in the NFL is going to get this DB unit to function properly? I doubt it.

We'll win the division because it stinks. The Ravens are in transition, the Browns aren't going anywhere with Hue IMO, and the Bengals always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 pm 

Steel Reign wrote:
VeritasSteel wrote:
I would rather get "torched" for 51 in a preseason game on the road in order for the coaches to go back to the players and say " this is why we do it this way and not your way".

Someone may prefer their wife cheat on them before the wedding than after (pick your cliche, this is random) but one can't ignore doing the former may be some evidence it will occur after the latter. Again, we shouldn't pretend the preseason is a definitive indicator of where this is going but if you don't have some concerns you are equally blind.

I have serious issues with the metaphor from a "being a man" standpoint, I will ride with it to make my point.

If you have a woman and she cheats on you before the wedding (the start of the season) - then it would be nice to fix the problem or get rid of her before you have to split half your stuff with her? I mean if they had a preseason for marriage, the divorce rate would be less than 10% because you would know that your betrothed doesn't listen, can't cook, can't properly polish the house knob ;) or cover a TE up the seam.to save her life.

"Cheese and rice, Jenny you need to turn your f-ing hips and your head around out of the break, I should have drafted your sister!! At least she could "keep the furniture dusted" around here!"

Women cheat and players cheat on plays because they feel the "system" has abandoned them and their need for support-emotional or organizational. A woman or good player doesn't want to win ( a specific thing)- they each want to be with a winner (consistent success). In a players case the coaching staff can look at the film, work with them to get them to buy in, or call better plays - but that takes repetitions under fire and counseling (i.e film work) among coaches and mentor players.

If your woman or your defense is horrible it's your fault as a man or coach. because you, the person in power, allowed that to happen. Part of fixing it is being willing to drill in your philosophy until it is received by the current or future player (or wife)

Last edited by VeritasSteel on Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:09 pm 

Quote:
“Shoot, I’m going to be honest with you, 50 points is not something you ever want to give up,” Cameron Heyward told Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “no matter who is out there.”
“Whoever is out there — and I’m not trying to make excuses — has to make those plays,” said cornerback Joe Haden. “At the same time, we’re not too worried about it. We still have to tighten up on the tackles and have better communication. “Myself, Cam and the guys not out there, we’d be able to help out a little bit, but we still can be a lot better.”
“We lost leverage too much in coverage, particularly on possession downs,” Tomlin said. “You can’t do that. Leverage is a big element of football. I thought we didn’t do a good enough job there. I didn’t think we did a good enough job of pressuring and containing the quarterback. I thought that was significant early on possession downs.”
“A lot of it was technical mistakes,” Heyward said. “If we don’t do that, we’re not going to get beat like that, whether it’s angles to the ball, being in man and not keeping your leverage or not tackling well. Those are things that contribute to a loss.
“When I watch a game, I don’t want to look at the points. I look at why we did it. What can we do to get better? Is it something we can correct? If you can’t correct it, you shouldn’t be out there.” https://twitter.com/Steel_Curtain4/stat ... 5963669504

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:00 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Quote:
“Shoot, I’m going to be honest with you, 50 points is not something you ever want to give up,” Cameron Heyward told Joe Rutter of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, “no matter who is out there.”
“Whoever is out there — and I’m not trying to make excuses — has to make those plays,” said cornerback Joe Haden. “At the same time, we’re not too worried about it. We still have to tighten up on the tackles and have better communication. “Myself, Cam and the guys not out there, we’d be able to help out a little bit, but we still can be a lot better.”
“We lost leverage too much in coverage, particularly on possession downs,” Tomlin said. “You can’t do that. Leverage is a big element of football. I thought we didn’t do a good enough job there. I didn’t think we did a good enough job of pressuring and containing the quarterback. I thought that was significant early on possession downs.”
“A lot of it was technical mistakes,” Heyward said. “If we don’t do that, we’re not going to get beat like that, whether it’s angles to the ball, being in man and not keeping your leverage or not tackling well. Those are things that contribute to a loss.
“When I watch a game, I don’t want to look at the points. I look at why we did it. What can we do to get better? Is it something we can correct? If you can’t correct it, you shouldn’t be out there.” https://twitter.com/Steel_Curtain4/stat ... 5963669504

Is it just me, or have we heard all this bullshit before?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm 

You heard lack of communication, leverage, getting off the field on 3rd and 4,etc. Same old bullshit as last year. When will it happen?