It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Tomlin
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:26 am 

Havoc wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'll add this...

We had a decade of historically great defense that started pre Tomlin. That machine was already in place and it was masterminded by Lebeau.

The offense under Tomlin has never been one of the very best in the league.

So the last four seasons when the offense was Top 10 in points scored never happened?

Steelers were at the very top of the league in defense (at times) for a decade along with the Ravens

This offense has never been one of the top 2 offenses in the league under Tomlin. We dominated the league on defense under the mastermind Lebeau. This offense although very good has never dominated the league like say the Falcons the year they made it to the SB.

If we had the best offense or one of the top 2 offenses in the league under Tomlin, that might have been enough to get us to another SB even if the defense was lacking.

The offense certainly has never been consistent enough to carry the team in the playoffs or against good teams like the defense was for so long. The one constant is a top 5 qb. You should always be at least decent with a top 5 qb in this league.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:56 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Is it time for a Any Tomlin Defenders Left? thread?

I am waiting for a certain dick weed to accuse all of you for being racists for wanting Fraudlin fired...

I think STD is still banned and hasn't come up with a new moniker yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:11 pm 

Obviously wrote:
StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
Is it time for a Any Tomlin Defenders Left? thread?

I am waiting for a certain dick weed to accuse all of you for being racists for wanting Fraudlin fired...

Are you a dog person?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:13 pm 

fortythree wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'll add this...

We had a decade of historically great defense that started pre Tomlin. That machine was already in place and it was masterminded by Lebeau.

So the last four seasons when the offense was Top 10 in points scored never happened?

You're excited about top 10 in the league when, for the last several years we have trotted out a CERTAIN first ballot Hall of Famer at QB, a WR some are calling the BEST EVER and who is clearly also on his way to the Hall of Fame and a RB who is known as the best in the entire league (not only as an amazing RB, also as a very dangerous receiver).

You're gonna be excited about a few top 10 finishes with that group?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:32 pm 

I wonder how many times a team has finished among the tops in the league offensively and then failed to score a single TD in a postseason game.

I’d bet not many.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Obviously wrote:

Are you a dog person?

I've owned a dog only once. Fuck cats.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 am 

KC wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'll add this...

You're excited about top 10 in the league when, for the last several years we have trotted out a CERTAIN first ballot Hall of Famer at QB, a WR some are calling the BEST EVER and who is clearly also on his way to the Hall of Fame and a RB who is known as the best in the entire league (not only as an amazing RB, also as a very dangerous receiver).

That's moving the goalposts. My personal opinion on anything is irrelevant. Havoc said the offense had never been one of the very best in the league. I pointed out why that is wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:34 am 

fortythree wrote:
That's moving the goalposts. My personal opinion on anything is irrelevant. Havoc said the offense had never been one of the very best in the league. I pointed out why that is wrong.

Oh, okay.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:59 am 

fortythree wrote:
KC wrote:
fortythree wrote:

Claiming victory does not equal having victory. The only thing you've shown is your agenda.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:40 pm 

Havoc wrote:
Claiming victory does not equal having victory. The only thing you've shown is your agenda.

Lying about never having a top offense isn't showing an agenda?

I don't have an agenda. I don't think Tomlin deserves to have a job for life but I also don't go out of my way to find reasons to blame Tomlin for everything like so many here do.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:48 pm 

I don't know what the stats are, but top 10 isn't one of the best in the league. It is basically top 1/3.

I know 43 likes to present himself, smugly, as the responsible person in the room. If he can't see the faults of Tomlin and understand why that makes many want to move on, that tells you something about 43. If he does see it, but likes to smugly laugh at people instead of making an argument, well...that shows something about 43 as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:34 pm 

Zeke5123 wrote:
I don't know what the stats are, but top 10 isn't one of the best in the league. It is basically top 1/3.

I know 43 likes to present himself, smugly, as the responsible person in the room. If he can't see the faults of Tomlin and understand why that makes many want to move on, that tells you something about 43. If he does see it, but likes to smugly laugh at people instead of making an argument, well...that shows something about 43 as well.

How is Top 10 not one of the best? I realize it's arguing semantics but where is the cutoff then? Is it just placed where ever the person making the point can use it to be correct?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:26 pm 

KC wrote:
fortythree wrote:
Havoc wrote:
I'll add this...

yea, "top 10" with:
HOF QB
HOF RB
HOF WR
HOF Center

fucking joke-- this team should be a top 3 offense every year with this talent.

Tomlin's one super bowl win came with almost all Cowher players, and definitely all the player-leaders were drafted by Cowher.

It's plain and simple - Tomlin has been riding the coattails of a HOF QB -- Tomlin was blessed with inheriting a HOF QB when he was hired, and he's has been able to turn that into a record of "no losing seasons". When Ben retires, Tomlin will follow immediately. He is very savvy with regard to his career, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:28 pm 

steel wrote:
Tomlin's one super bowl win came with almost all Cowher players, and definitely all the player-leaders were drafted by Cowher.

Colbert's players.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:39 pm 

Tomlin would be nothing without Ben as his QB and Tomlin does not learn from his mistakes and gets out coached. But he going to have a job for as long as he wants it so all this tomlin fired talk is a waste of time

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:54 pm 

steelmann58 wrote:
Tomlin would be nothing without Ben as his QB and Tomlin does not learn from his mistakes and gets out coached. But he going to have a job for as long as he wants it so all this tomlin fired talk is a waste of time

Do you actually think "wouldn't be successful without a franchise QB" is a knock on a coach?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:09 pm 

fortythree wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

Do you actually think "wouldn't be successful without a franchise QB" is a knock on a coach?

This is your standard reply to people who comment about Tomlin having a HOF QB, which is something different from what we are saying.

"Franchise QB" in today's league is basically 10-15 QB's who are long-term starters. In Tomlin's time, you have basically Peyton, Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers as locks for the HOF. But if Tomlin had one of the non-HOF franchise guys, he ain't winning shit. Tomlin wouldn't win a ring with Eli, or Flacco, or Russell Wilson, or Nick Foles....

So, no, Tomlin is not a top-10 HC in this league, and we'll see that soon enough after Ben hangs 'em up.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:12 pm 

fortythree wrote:
steel wrote:

Colbert's players.

hahahahah

You still think the GM in Pgh has more power than the HEAD COACH?

Go ask Tom Donohoe

You're probably not old enough to remember him.

The Rooneys laid down the law awhile ago -- HC > GM when it comes to choosing players.

Cowher's players -- Donohoe/Colbert worked for Cowher -- Colbert works for Tomlin, not vice versa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:38 pm 

steel wrote:
The Rooneys laid down the law awhile ago -- HC > GM when it comes to choosing players.

That is bullshit. Colbert wanted to draft Big Ben and Cowher wanted G Shawn Andrews and 'The Rooneys' broke the tie and they went with drafting Ben. To say that Cowher somehow was more responsible for the players that we drafted is just wrong. Cowher was never a Bill Parcels or Belichick, those guys can coach and also are very astute at player evaluation, the draft, etc. Cowher was never in that category.

Also, you look at that 2005 Super Bowl winning team, it was not just all players drafted by Colbert.

Jerome Bettis brought in by trade by Tom Donahoe
Hines Ward drafted by Tom Donahoe
Alan Faneca drafted by Tom Donahoe
Joey Porter drafted by Tom Donahoe
Aaron Smith drafted by Tom Donahoe
DeShea Townsend drafted by Tom Donahoe

You take away those 6 players from that 2005 team, do we make the Super Bowl? Do we make the playoffs?

These arguments of trying to attribute this Super Bowl to this coach or that coach, or this GM to that GM is so pointless, it is more nuanced than that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:11 pm 

steel wrote:
fortythree wrote:
steel wrote:

Colbert's players.

hahahahah

You still think the GM in Pgh has more power than the HEAD COACH?

Go ask Tom Donohoe

You're probably not old enough to remember him.

Cowher's players -- Donohoe/Colbert worked for Cowher -- Colbert works for Tomlin, not vice versa

Yeah man. Cowher is responsible for Ben being here, huh?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:12 pm 

At this point there's always someone who chimes in with evidence that Cowher did want Ben and that story isn't true. I don't claim to know the truth one way or the other.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:17 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
fortythree wrote:
steelmann58 wrote:

This is your standard reply to people who comment about Tomlin having a HOF QB, which is something different from what we are saying.

"Franchise QB" in today's league is basically 10-15 QB's who are long-term starters. In Tomlin's time, you have basically Peyton, Brady, Brees, Ben and Rodgers as locks for the HOF. But if Tomlin had one of the non-HOF franchise guys, he ain't winning shit. Tomlin wouldn't win a ring with Eli, or Flacco, or Russell Wilson, or Nick Foles....

"If Tomlin had a non-HOF franchise guy" is the new "if you take away his long runs..." it's a terrible argument that cannot be proven or disproved. We will never know if he would or wouldn't have.

But to discredit the guy because of that is kind of dumb.

Quote:
So, no, Tomlin is not a top-10 HC in this league

That is absolutely hysterical. Both from a standpoint of the data we have (win-loss record, Super Bowls, etc.) but also because you can't name 10 head coaches better than him. I mean, I'm sure you will list ten or more but you won't be able to make legitimate arguments for them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 pm 

Well since the Steelers won't fire Tomlin we see what happens when Ben retires.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:36 pm 

I will explain this more simply for the posters who have Kindergarten-sized minds here:

Steelers Hierarchy:

OWNER

HEAD COACH

GM

when you say this guy or that guy is "colberts guy" or "donohoe's guy" -- it's bullshit. The HC trumps the GM in matters of who is ultimately selected. This fact was proven in the cowher/donohoe power struggle years ago.

And, of course, the Owner trumps every body.

Tomlin won his super bowl primarily with Cowher's guys, period.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:52 pm 

steel wrote:
I will explain this more simply for the posters who have Kindergarten-sized minds here:

Steelers Hierarchy:

OWNER

HEAD COACH

GM

when you say this guy or that guy is "colberts guy" or "donohoe's guy" -- it's bullshit. The HC trumps the GM in matters of who is ultimately selected. This fact was proven in the cowher/donohoe power struggle years ago.

And, of course, the Owner trumps every body.

Tomlin won his super bowl primarily with Cowher's guys, period.

You can say it all you want but that doesn't make it true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next