It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: I don’t like football anymore
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:52 pm 

One big roblem with NFL (at least IMO) is it no longer passes the sniff test, the BS meter, or whatever else you want to call it.

Same reason I stopped watching pro wrestling and to some extent don’t enjoy super hero type movies like the Avengers etc because it is just too fake.

The winner of an NFL game is determined and manipulated far too much for my liking. It’s the ticky tack penalty completely AWAY from the play that had no impact on the play yet it’s called and the true outcome of said play is erased.

It’s the pinky finger on the QB just the wrong way and from just the wrong angle that changes an incomplete pass on 3rd & 12 into a first down.

Etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. etc.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:00 pm 

MJB, before you go can you please explain your user name? Always curious about that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:01 pm 

And here is another take and could definitely be biased, but I think most Steelers fans (at least the die hards that have been with team for decades) simply care more about their team than others.

Steelers football isn’t just a TV show (sorry Nick) but a small part of who you are.

And with the game itself a sham of its former great self it takes away something we have all enjoyed, loved, cheered for, and cried for.

We watch because we always have and want to still enjoy but the feelings derived from watching itsnt the same and never will be again.

That and how the game has slipped into the political arena.

A better explanation might just be that we are all getting old....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm 

955876 wrote:
And here is another take and could definitely be biased, but I think most Steelers fans (at least the die hards that have been with team for decades) simply care more about their team than others.

Steelers football isn’t just a TV show (sorry Nick) but a small part of who you are.

And with the game itself a sham of its former great self it takes away something we have all enjoyed, loved, cheered for, and cried for.

We watch because we always have and want to still enjoy but the feelings derived from watching itsnt the same and never will be again.

That and how the game has slipped into the political arena.

A better explanation might just be that we are all getting old....

I don't mind the game being in the political arena at all. I love that actually.

What I don't love is everything being skewed in favor of the offense and defenders aren't allowed to do anything anymore.

THAT is what's ruining the football....well, that and the overprotection of these NFL players from big hits.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 am 

955876 wrote:
The winner of an NFL game is determined and manipulated far too much for my liking. It’s the ticky tack penalty completely AWAY from the play that had no impact on the play yet it’s called and the true outcome of said play is erased.

Anything erased by unsportsmanlike conduct, taunting, excessive celebration make the deletion of an actual play, a FAKE RESULT.

Also, they should limit things like holding, PI, etc. to whether it was relevant to the result of the play, like if there is a holding or PI 40 yards away from the play, don't call it.

Also, stupid BS RULES, that are ultra nitpicky and WHO THE FUCK CARES! Like wow, the guy "flinched" really? Who cares, eliminate all formation penalties, except say you need 5 O-lineman, but everything else goes! Go CFL motion rules, way less stoppages, allow 12 men, or 13 or 18 or 20 in the huddle as long as they are off the field on time. Let the D line jump off sides as long as they get back before the snap, like it used to be.

Make it an EMPHASIS to NOT CALL holding and blocking penalties on KO and Punt returns.

Hell, make a catch ONE FOOT in bounds, way easier to judge.

Have ZERO automatic reviews and just allow ONE challenge per game.

Right there, you have a sport where the referees aren't the TOP STARS anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:48 am 

955876 wrote:

It kind of is, at least probably 15 games per year for me, This week it's not on, so there is no TV game I will be devoted to watching. I may watch some parts of other games, or NFLRZ, or I may watch soccer or go to a movie instead. Because my favorite characters aren't going to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 am 

Breathe too hard on the qb drawing a penalty is terrible for the game. If society leech Roger Goodell could get away with it, he would put flags on the qb.

I love baseball, football, basketball (in no particular order) and sports in general. I love athletic competition. I am fascinated by the human element, sports psychology. I will still watch, because it's athletic competition.

There is no team in any other sport where I am part of that teams nation like I'm part of Steelers nation. I still love the franchise in spite of the imperfections in the organization... it's still one of the best in all of sports and it's great to be a part of.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 am 

Havoc wrote:
Breathe too hard on the qb drawing a penalty is terrible for the game. If society leech Roger Goodell could get away with it, he would put flags on the qb.

I love baseball, football, basketball (in no particular order) and sports in general. I love athletic competition. I am fascinated by the human element, sports psychology. I will still watch, because it's athletic competition.

There is no team in any other sport where I am part of that teams nation like I'm part of Steelers nation. I still love the franchise in spite of the imperfections in the organization... it's still one of the best in all of sports and it's great to be a part of.

well stated...being so spoiled by a competitive product year in and year out may it difficult in the Cowher years where they were like .500 for a record one year.

What I did instead is look at the development of the rookies in hopes of vast improvement for next year.