It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:03 am
Posts: 1404
New Cardinals Offensive Coordinator

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:33 pm
Posts: 16560
Can't be much worse than the previous guy.

_________________
VASteelerGuy wrote:
These refs suck


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am
Posts: 799
Cards need big time help. Rosen is getting his ass kicked.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:06 am
Posts: 3750
What are Brian St. Pierre and Charlie Batch up to these days?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:01 am
Posts: 11624
That's interesting. There are former players at all levels of coaching......except I can't think of any NFL QB's that became an OC. There must have been a few over the years?

I wonder if Ben will become an OC at some point after he's done as a player?

_________________
------------------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6980
Kodiak wrote:
That's interesting. There are former players at all levels of coaching......except I can't think of any NFL QB's that became an OC. There must have been a few over the years?

I wonder if Ben will become an OC at some point after he's done as a player?

Just a hunch...but I think when Ben is done with football, he’s done with football.

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am
Posts: 953
Off the top of my head, Frank Reich was an nfl qb that became an OC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1863
Miter Saw wrote:
Off the top of my head, Frank Reich was an nfl qb that became an OC.


Jason Garrett


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:30 am
Posts: 460
Mike Shula?
Here is a guy that gets a gig by name alone.

Wouldn't shock me if Tee Martin gets a chance.

Pederson from Philly?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:37 pm
Posts: 391
Just hope his decision making is quicker than his throwing motion. Fast pitch softball pitchers deliver the ball quicker.

_________________
You're never as good as you think you are, or as bad as they say you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 2668
7forSteel wrote:
Just hope his decision making is quicker than his throwing motion. Fast pitch softball pitchers deliver the ball quicker.


Good for Byron, he helped us win against the Redskins, I think.

Also, watching fast pitch softball is like watchin people shoot granny free throws for 9 innings.

_________________
Image


Last edited by VanWilder on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:23 pm
Posts: 2668
.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:03 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:17 pm
Posts: 1417
Kodiak wrote:
That's interesting. There are former players at all levels of coaching......except I can't think of any NFL QB's that became an OC. There must have been a few over the years?

I wonder if Ben will become an OC at some point after he's done as a player?

Gary Kubiak, Jason Garrett are two more...coaching actually seems like a natural role for a backup, as he's often on the sidelines next to the coach and is involved in relaying plays or helping the QB break down drive results.

_________________
Zeke5123 wrote:
if I flip a coin 100 times and it always comes up heads, I might change my estimation on whether it is a fair coin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:58 pm
Posts: 805
Jobus Rum wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
That's interesting. There are former players at all levels of coaching......except I can't think of any NFL QB's that became an OC. There must have been a few over the years?

I wonder if Ben will become an OC at some point after he's done as a player?

Just a hunch...but I think when Ben is done with football, he’s done with football.


Agreed. How many franchise QBs become OCs? It's a shitty job. Career back ups become OCs and coaches. Ben is worth, what, $200+ million? Why would he want to make a few million a year to run an offense?

To borrow a quote from Forrest Gump, Ben is not a smart man. He is not a film room guy. He doesn't call his own plays and has had almost no freedom in terms of how the offense has been run. Someone like Peyton Manning would make an excellent OC. Ben would not. He's also an incredibly arrogant asshole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:14 pm
Posts: 1260
Laying the Wood wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
That's interesting. There are former players at all levels of coaching......except I can't think of any NFL QB's that became an OC. There must have been a few over the years?

I wonder if Ben will become an OC at some point after he's done as a player?

Just a hunch...but I think when Ben is done with football, he’s done with football.


Agreed. How many franchise QBs become OCs? It's a shitty job. Career back ups become OCs and coaches. Ben is worth, what, $200+ million? Why would he want to make a few million a year to run an offense?

To borrow a quote from Forrest Gump, Ben is not a smart man. He is not a film room guy. He doesn't call his own plays and has had almost no freedom in terms of how the offense has been run. Someone like Peyton Manning would make an excellent OC. Ben would not. He's also an incredibly arrogant asshole.


Best I can come up with is Jim Harbaugh. Former QBs generally don’t want to grind as coaches but god damn if they don’t love being pompous tv analysts.

_________________
Neal Huntington on what he's been told by his bosses about $$$: "We've got assurances we're going to be able to continue to do what we've done."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 6980
SteelPro wrote:
Laying the Wood wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Just a hunch...but I think when Ben is done with football, he’s done with football.


Agreed. How many franchise QBs become OCs? It's a shitty job. Career back ups become OCs and coaches. Ben is worth, what, $200+ million? Why would he want to make a few million a year to run an offense?

To borrow a quote from Forrest Gump, Ben is not a smart man. He is not a film room guy. He doesn't call his own plays and has had almost no freedom in terms of how the offense has been run. Someone like Peyton Manning would make an excellent OC. Ben would not. He's also an incredibly arrogant asshole.


Best I can come up with is Jim Harbaugh. Former QBs generally don’t want to grind as coaches but god damn if they don’t love being pompous tv analysts.

Speaking of incredibly arrogant assholes...

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:45 pm
Posts: 13769
I'm thinking this says a lot about McCoy and his coaching future (lack thereof). This guy gets fired mid-season from an OC position twice and fired as a HC so what's left for him as a coach?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Posts: 1863
Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm thinking this says a lot about McCoy and his coaching future (lack thereof). This guy gets fired mid-season from an OC position twice and fired as a HC so what's left for him as a coach?


Special Olympics?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm
Posts: 7818
Laying the Wood wrote:
He doesn't call his own plays

I thought he was somewhat.

_________________
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
--Voltaire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:14 pm
Posts: 3370
Location: Upstate NY
Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
I'm thinking this says a lot about McCoy and his coaching future (lack thereof). This guy gets fired mid-season from an OC position twice and fired as a HC so what's left for him as a coach?


Special Olympics?



LOL. Great one. +1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:13 pm
Posts: 1735
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
What are Brian St. Pierre and Charlie Batch up to these days?

Since you asked: Frenchy is the head coach at his old high school in Massachusetts. Batch does preseason commentary for local Steelers broadcasts, and he serves on pretty much every charity board in the Pittsburgh area.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Congrats to old friend Byron Leftwich
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:52 pm
Posts: 488
Pabst wrote:
Dan Smith--BYU wrote:
What are Brian St. Pierre and Charlie Batch up to these days?

Since you asked: Frenchy is the head coach at his old high school in Massachusetts. Batch does preseason commentary for local Steelers broadcasts, and he serves on pretty much every charity board in the Pittsburgh area.


…and is maybe the most solid citizen of any yinzer-heritage athlete. Up there with Mel Blount.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigtoad, DrMalba, Google [Bot], JaySteel72, SteelThrillsseeker, Stosh-67 and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group