It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bell takes a PAYCUT!
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 pm 

Now seeing that Bell could be traded before the start of the season! Wonder if there will be any takers!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:45 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Now seeing that Bell could be traded before the start of the season! Wonder if there will be any takers!

This is sort of insane. That he could be traded by the Jets already.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:10 pm 

stillthere wrote:
This is sort of insane. That he could be traded by the Jets already.

Well, Gase got all the power and he supposedly doesn't believe in high-priced running backs.

Still, they'd be eating $25M to save themselves $2M. Except $16.5M of his guarantees are roster bonuses, which other than $4.5M this year they might not eat that other $12M? In that case the dead money isn't prohibitive, but why wouldn't you keep a guy only scheduled to make about $3M this year?

Let's assume NYJ actually eat a total of $13M.....then another team is looking at Bell for roughly 4 years averaging $10M per year. But that might be sort of his market, so not sure what a trade would actually fetch. Not a 1-yr rental, either, if that new team assumes the remaining $12M in roster bonus guarantees.

If NYJ eats all of the dead money, then another team could be looking at renting Bell for like $2-$3M (depending on incentives earned). Not sure what that's worth for a guy who hasn't played in a year.....maybe a mid-R3?

The other problem: If that deals goes down, what stops Bell from pulling an AB? He could be like "hey, NYJ gave me that money, not you guys....you want me to play you're going to have to pay".

Proven - Tomlin is bad at game management.
Given - 31 other teams would have fired Tomlin long ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:21 am 

Snell for Bell

LOL

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:43 am 

I think the Jets are the ones taking all the risk. I'll be surprised to see Bell make it through the whole season without missing any games. I'll also be very surprised to see him even approach his productivity he had in Pittsburgh. I admit there is some biased animosity in that last projection. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:11 pm 

swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
Agreed, the best we can do as Steelers fans is breathe a hearty sigh of relief and enjoy the bacon schaudenfraude burger with cheese. Revising history to make this into a case for the front office being somehow brilliant chess masters isn't one of our options.

Yeah, great schaudenfraude when we lose arguably the game's best running back AND receiver, and left with the same pair of dumbfucks owning and coaching the team.

Well, looks like the Jest would be willing to sell him back to us, new contract and all. You interested?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:36 pm 

Ice wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:
Agreed, the best we can do as Steelers fans is breathe a hearty sigh of relief and enjoy the bacon schaudenfraude burger with cheese. Revising history to make this into a case for the front office being somehow brilliant chess masters isn't one of our options.

Yeah, great schaudenfraude when we lose arguably the game's best running back AND receiver, and left with the same pair of dumbfucks owning and coaching the team.

Well, looks like the Jest would be willing to sell him back to us, new contract and all. You interested?

God, I fucking hope not. Wouldn't touch that asshole with a 10' pole. Besides, could you imagine the beating the Steelers would take after Tomlin's statement after both Brown and Bell were gone? CAn't remember the quote, but I think it had something to do with purging the malcontents.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:11 pm 

Ice wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:51 pm 

Ice wrote:
swissvale72 wrote:
Ice wrote:

I would take him.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:59 pm 

Swiss, c'mon man. The guy is a fuckin douche nozzle that nobody wants to be around, and he aint even that great.

TD: 0

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:34 pm 

Oh, Jesus, man. Crazy.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:56 pm 

Rather pay what Steelers are paying for what it gets them. Far better use of resources.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:47 am 

swissvale72 wrote:
I would take him.

He didn't play, at all, last year. The offense broke records. RB productivity/efficiency was better than it had been in years.

Textbook case of being overrated, and then some. We may literally have been better off without him.

Last edited by Kodiak on Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 am 

A team that trades for him pays 2M in 2019 and then 8M, 8.5M and then 9.5M in the final year. If I were a team that needed a RB I would do it. There is zero risk as the Jets have taken the hit for the entire contract. Trade for him and he could be cut at any time for no dead money.

Edit: A team trading for him would have $3M roster bonus in 2021 and 2022 but that is it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:03 am 

jebrick wrote:
A team that trades for him pays 2M in 2019 and then 8M, 8.5M and then 9.5M in the final year. If I were a team that needed a RB I would do it. There is zero risk as the Jets have taken the hit for the entire contract. Trade for him and he could be cut at any time for no dead money.

Edit: A team trading for him would have $3M roster bonus in 2021 and 2022 but that is it.

I think the only remaining guarantee a team inherits is a $4.5M roster bonus. So the 1-yr rental is $6.5M. The 2-yr rental is $15M. Not a bad deal for a team needing a RB, but not really a bargain, either. Bell is a plodder at this point.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:28 am 

Kodiak wrote:
jebrick wrote:

I think the only remaining guarantee a team inherits is a $4.5M roster bonus. So the 1-yr rental is $6.5M. The 2-yr rental is $15M. Not a bad deal for a team needing a RB, but not really a bargain, either. Bell is a plodder at this point.

The roster bonuses for 2019 and 2020 are guaranteed so I think the Jets have to pick those up.

Quote:
Roster bonus: Compensation earned by remaining on a team's roster on a certain date. Roster bonuses count in full against the salary cap in the season in which they are earned, unless fully guaranteed at signing. They are used to avoid signing-bonus proration and pushing dead money into the future.

Last edited by jebrick on Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 am 

swissvale72 wrote:

I would take him.

Thank Christ you aren't the GM

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 am 

Honestly, this would be the worst case scenario for Bell. His heart just isn't into football - he used to for the money. I would bet that Bell doesn't make it through half the season as he will somehow tap out, so he can spend the rest of his year making his shit ass music up in New York, all the while getting paid. I firmly believe this has been his plan for quite some time. I doubt he will ever play a full season again.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:30 pm 

alancac98 wrote:
Honestly, this would be the worst case scenario for Bell. His heart just isn't into football - he used to for the money. I would bet that Bell doesn't make it through half the season as he will somehow tap out, so he can spend the rest of his year making his shit ass music up in New York, all the while getting paid. I firmly believe this has been his plan for quite some time. I doubt he will ever play a full season again.

My photographic memory is taking its time developing. Who was the guy from Virginia Tech who replaced Woodley? Then left. Seems like the Steelers developed a little subculture of guys (cough, Artie Burns, Mendenhall) who just don’t want to play the game anymore.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:04 pm 

Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

My photographic memory is taking its time developing. Who was the guy from Virginia Tech who replaced Woodley? Then left. Seems like the Steelers developed a little subculture of guys (cough, Artie Burns, Mendenhall) who just don’t want to play the game anymore.

Was it Worilds? I think he was Jehovah Witness or something as to why he left.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:18 pm 

Rod & Wire Mill wrote:
alancac98 wrote:

Jason Worilds?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:45 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Swiss, c'mon man. The guy is a fuckin douche nozzle that nobody wants to be around, and he aint even that great.

I've always said that Bell is a fuckin' knucklehead. He's a helluva talent though. I think we forget.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:44 am 

I'm interested to see how this plays out - like some others, I think Bell may not have a passion for the game and the reason he was so hung-up on guaranteed money is because he plans to play himself out of the league in a year or two.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:58 am 

He's already getting very good at the "playing himself" part of the equation, Kodiak.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 pm 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next