It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ben extension info
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 pm 

I think we see another weapon found for Ben to help replace AB .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:21 am 

steelmann58 wrote:
I think we see another weapon found for Ben to help replace AB .

I could see TE and WR in the 2nd to 4th round maybe even another WR late round flyer ala AB style. But other than those and probably a RB I think the rest of the 6 or 7 picks are all on D.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:49 pm 

Ben and the boys

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 pm 

There's a football truism that I know is true but I've lost track of it over the past few years: when the team is close, their chances of doing something special with the season are greatly increased. When that tightness transcends positions and sides of the football... you've got a chance to do something really special. Walking off the field in Cincinnati after that playoff win was the last time I thought the team had that kind of vibe. Before that, 2008. 2005. 2004. 2001. Those were some good teams, judged more by what they did collectively than what any individual did.

I'm getting that feeling about this year. Couple of loose ends but this team is going to be a whole lot more close-knit than it's been in a while.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:47 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
There's a football truism that I know is true but I've lost track of it over the past few years: when the team is close, their chances of doing something special with the season are greatly increased. When that tightness transcends positions and sides of the football... you've got a chance to do something really special. Walking off the field in Cincinnati after that playoff win was the last time I thought the team had that kind of vibe. Before that, 2008. 2005. 2004. 2001. Those were some good teams, judged more by what they did collectively than what any individual did.

I'm getting that feeling about this year. Couple of loose ends but this team is going to be a whole lot more close-knit than it's been in a while.

Hope you’re right.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:40 pm 

I think B2B is exactly right. I think all of the drama of the past two seasons has been replaced with a more down to earth, humble team. And out of the team being so close knit, good things, great things will happen to players that just do their jobs and work hard.

Two players that I think are going to really surprise this season are Vance McDonald and Donte Moncrief.

Some might say why McDonald? Well, this will now be his 3rd year with the team, and him and Ben have gotten close and it is going to show even more on the football field.

Ben targeted him 72 times last season and Vance had 50 catches for 612 yards and 4 TDs. That 69.4 catch percentage was great, at least for their first full season together. Everybody wants to talk about where do the 168 targets that went to Antonio Brown go now that he is gone. Forget about that, where do the 39 targets that went to Jesse James, where do they go this season??

See that is my reasoning of why McDonald is in for a big season. If Vance goes from 72 targets last season to say 95-100 targets this season that could give him in the neighborhood of 70 catches for 875-900 yards and 7-8 TDs, he could have a Pro Bowl season.

With Moncrief, this was a really sneaky signing. The past two seasons he has had 3 TD catches that were 60+ yards ( 60, 67, 80 ). He had a 79 yard TD catch his rookie year. It does not look like he has lost any speed. Last year he had 48 catches for 668 yards and 3 TDs playing for Jax with Blake Bortles. I can't help but feel that Ben and Moncrief are going to get along great like Ben did with Jericho Cotchery, he loves playing with bigger WRs. I am hoping that Donte can average 16-17 yards per catch and have 7-8 TDs this season.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:10 am 

Good stuff B2B and Scunge. Is that Ben’s place down in Georgia?

If that’s a team building thing, that is cool. This group needs to focus and execute, two things that were damn near impossible the last few years because of Bell and Brown. I’m all for this but the one guy that really needs to focus is Tomlin. No more bullshit. Take control of this team and bring back the magic you once had.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:43 am 

The devil went down to Georgia, he was lookin' for the gray a meal...

TD: 0

Last edited by Lynch on Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:26 am 

Ben has always said he thought that was critical to the title.

And Ben has been trying to re-create that every year. But Tomlin....

Sorry. I'll bet the house that this team never sniffs another ring with Tomlin running things. He's not smart enough, and he doesn't work hard enough - save your jokes, and save your racist accusations....Tomlin just doesn't have the goods.

Proven - Tomlin is bad at game management.
Given - 31 other teams would have fired Tomlin long ago.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:34 am 

Kodiak, I have this theory about head coaches and Super Bowl wins in that they get too much credit.

To me a Super Bowl season, winning a championship can often be because of who your offensive and defensive coordinators were, not who the head coach was.

Think about all of the winning teams over the years, not just Steelers teams but other NFL teams, hell even the losing teams of a Super Bowl, look at what happens after the game. Many of those OCs and DCs are offered jobs as head coaches.

I have a lot of confidence in Randy Fitchner, in what he is building right now on offense. I love how as a rookie OC, he was looking around the NFL and incorporating plays, designing plays that other teams were doing, he was not just a conservative, paint by the numbers OC. Look at how missing Bell all year, it did not phase him at all. This offense did historic things in franchise history for red zone offense, the arrow is pointing way up even with the loss of Brown.

So, many may say, hey Tomlin still has Butler and the defense dragging us down, well, do we?? Was the hiring of Teryl Austin just for an extra coach to help in the secondary? Or was it something more? I look at him as the defensive equivalent of us having Chan Gailey back in the day and how he started out as the WR coach but then became more influential, was developing the passing game even with Ron Earhardt as the OC, he was in essence the OC when we made that run to the Super Bowl. One of Cowher's strengths was that he delegated responsibility to Gailey and Whisenhunt back in the day and he was rewarded with Super Bowl runs, losing one and winning one, but both resulted in each of those men quickly becoming head coaches, they were recognized for their talent and hard work.

In Austin, I see this Mike Munchak level hire, a Chan Gailey type of coach who can finally fix our secondary and development of corners and safeties. But I also see a guy who has been a traditional 4-3 stalwart, who has 5 years experience as a DC, Kieth Butler by the way only finished up his 4th season as a DC. Austin also has an additional title to his name, Senior Defensive Assistant. I can't help but feel that Austin was brought in to not just coach the secondary but also to be leaned heavily upon to get this defense upright again, to innovate again, to get that swagger back again.

So, I have hope that Tomlin can win another Super Bowl with Ben in his last few years here, not because of Tomlin per se, but because of Fitchner and Austin, if they rise and ascend like Steeler assistant coaches in the past then whatever weaknesses Tomlin has can be mitigated and overcome.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:57 am 

In addition to the discussion on offensive prowess, you have to be rooting for Washington, Conner and Samuels to develop further and contribute more. McDonald, Moncrief and Smith-Schuster are a great start sure. There has to be somewhere else Ben will be able to spread some of those passes that went to Brown around. I think in the least Washington and Samuels will be capable. Add to that Conner out of the back field. I never really put much stock in the panic over where Ben's target's/passes to Brown would go. I also think [the optimist I am] this offense will still be as dynamic as it was with Brown if not more so going forward.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:25 am 

Some adaption (or just basically what we already have) of the Marty Bryant package for Diontae Johnson would add instant explosiveness to the offense, as well as hiding the route tree difficulties every rookie WR has and getting the kid some easy NFL throws to get his feet wet.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:11 pm 

Quote:
Is that Ben’s place down in Georgia?

Yeah Greensboro Ga...Right on the lake. Its a nice little spread

Zac Brown is a neighbor

Also has a wicked 9 hole golf course.

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:24 pm 

What better way to close out a day of fun in the sun than a pub crawl looking for college chicks DTF...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:01 pm 

Rape them women now go Ben go! Rape them women right in the asshole!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:04 pm 

Well that was weird... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:06 pm 

This thread just went full retard. You never go full retard.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:13 pm 

Steel Reign wrote:
This thread just went full retard. You never go full retard.

It's lynch, our resident Klansman. What do you expect?

#Obviously

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 pm 

Yeah, you whipper snappers may be a damn sight sharper'n ole Lynch, I admit. I just can't help but hear that Charlie Daniels song every time I hear about Ben goin down south.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:03 pm 

Lynch wrote:
Yeah, you whipper snappers may be a damn sight sharper'n ole Lynch, I admit. I just can't help but hear that Charlie Daniels song every time I hear about Ben goin down south.

I could be wrong but I don't think that's the post of yours people are reacting to.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:03 am 

See what you did 95?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:16 am 

Positional spending for the Pittsburgh Steelers as it stands currently entering the 2019 season.

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

$27,876,114; QB 7th
$3,000,089; RB 32nd
$10,320,693; WR 32nd
$11,153,589; TE 8th
$39,550,676; OLine 10th
$91,901,161; Overall offense 22nd

$37,003,722; Dline 11th
$28,617,112; LB'er 5th
$6,999,873; Safety 28th
$22,116,443; Corner 16th
$94,737,150; Overall defense 10th

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:53 am 

Quote:
$28,617,112; LB'er 5th

This is...aah, um...I don’t know what to say... :shock:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:16 pm 

Scunge wrote:
To me a Super Bowl season, winning a championship can often be because of who your offensive and defensive coordinators were, not who the head coach was.

You know, I'd probably agree with that. HC being more strategic while the assistants worry about the tactical. So if you're assistants aren't up to the task, it may be a lost cause.

Of course, the HC is responsible for those assistants. I can see occasionally the owner or GM stepping in to demand a change, but no one will convince me Tomlin doesn't have the coaches he wants. I can't explain how Danny Smith still has a job, which makes me question what Tomlin demands and how he evaluates his coaches.

There's also the fact Tomlin has allegedly been HEAVILY involved in the defense, at least the last few years.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:18 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
$91,901,161; Overall offense 22nd

$94,737,150; Overall defense 10th

That is shocking, and sad. I have a hard time understanding where that money went on defense (this is current, so no Shazier number in there). So we've invested the money and the draft picks on defense - when can we expect some damn results?!?

Otherwise, AB and Bell would have been like $30M, although AB should be in there for like $16M.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next