It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3rd round pick 66
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:04 am 

Zeke5123 wrote:
Somewhat reminds of L. Bell. Probably the most underrated athletic ability in a skill player is COD. This guy seems to have it in spades.

Collect on delivery? North Atlantic fish? What is COD?

Post subject: Re: 3rd round pick 66 Dionte Johnson WR Toledo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:20 am 

Looks pretty impressive in those highlights. The toe tap in the front corner of the end zone was impressive.

Everyone getting ahead of themselves on this board with the return game.

Please remember there is only one return game. The punt return is all that matters.

The Kick Return is nothing more than a trap.....expecting great field position from the kick return game would be like going to a ladyboy convention expecting to find your dream girl. In both scenarios, disappointment will ensue once you cross the goalline...unless of course your into that type of thing. Until they change the rules taking the nearly automatic 25 yards is the best course of action.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:26 am 

Steel Drummer wrote:
Zeke5123 wrote:
Somewhat reminds of L. Bell. Probably the most underrated athletic ability in a skill player is COD. This guy seems to have it in spades.

Collect on delivery? North Atlantic fish? What is COD?

Change Of Direction, or Clinical Onset (of) Depression.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:42 am 

The straight scoop is: Diontae Johnson is a very Antonio-Brown-like prospect, but with better testing and analytics than Brown. He's a shifty mover in space, runs good routes, catches the ball. Makes some unforced errors but, out of what was left, I think he was a very good choice.

It's crushing, though, that the trade up for Bush cost them a safety that can start right away.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:38 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
The straight scoop is: Diontae Johnson is a very Antonio-Brown-like prospect, but with better testing and analytics than Brown. He's a shifty mover in space, runs good routes, catches the ball. Makes some unforced errors but, out of what was left, I think he was a very good choice.

It's crushing, though, that the trade up for Bush cost them a safety that can start right away.

Yep exactly why I wouldn’t have traded up, at least not giving up the second.
But they still had the capital to move up for Thornhill.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:44 am 

FWIW PFF had him as their 11th ranked WR and gave him a late to middle second round grade. They love him which of course means little.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-top-15-wide-receivers-for-2019-nfl-draft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:32 am 

SP wrote:
Go watch the film. With the ball in his hands he looks just like Santonio and Antonio. Great route runner, elusive with the ball. I feel like it was a couple rounds early, but the kid has potential.

I really like the player ever since Charles Demarr had him in a mock. His knock is a lot of drops but he is electric with the ball in his hands. 84 is a good comparison for his route running and quickness.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:37 am 

What were the knocks on Mr. Big Chest coming out of Central Michigan?

Why did he last until the 6th round?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:02 am 

Something else to consider with Diontae....

Toledo’s QB play was borderline atrocious last year. No consistency from week to week, 3 different guys played, injuries etc. 2017 with Logan Woodside (Titans roster) he had 74 for 1278 and 13 TDS. Keep in mind the Rockets have 3 other WRs that will be in NFL camps next year. He was clearly the featured guy.

Johnson had 100+ yards and 2 TDs against the Hurricane’s secondary and at times looked like the best player on the field. 3 from Miami could get drafted today.

Bottom line, he is a gamer. A slight reach maybe, but he wasn’t making it to round 4. According to multiple accounts on Twitter, Arians wanted him next.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:16 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:

Toledo’s QB play was borderline atrocious last year. No consistency from week to week, 3 different guys played, injuries etc. 2017 with Logan Woodside (Titans roster) he had 74 for 1278 and 13 TDS. Keep in mind the Rockets have 3 other WRs that will be in NFL camps next year. He was clearly the featured guy.

Johnson had 100+ yards and 2 TDs against the Hurricane’s secondary and at times looked like the best player on the field. 3 from Miami could get drafted today.

Bottom line, he is a gamer. A slight reach maybe, but he wasn’t making it to round 4. According to multiple accounts on Twitter, Arians wanted him next.

Unless Drake was blowing smoke up our asses in his interview about DJ, it sounds like the kid has a ton of natural skill and a shit ton of upside on top of it. Drake sure makes it sound like we just drafted a possible AB / Santonio H type player. Excited to see what he can do with a Ben R throwing the ball.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:49 am 

LakecrestSteeler wrote:
Looks pretty impressive in those highlights. The toe tap in the front corner of the end zone was impressive.

Everyone getting ahead of themselves on this board with the return game.

Please remember there is only one return game. The punt return is all that matters.

The Kick Return is nothing more than a trap.....expecting great field position from the kick return game would be like going to a ladyboy convention expecting to find your dream girl. In both scenarios, disappointment will ensue once you cross the goalline...unless of course your into that type of thing. Until they change the rules taking the nearly automatic 25 yards is the best course of action.

Why do we need a pr when Switzer is on the roster?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:57 am 

KC wrote:

Small
Slow
Dumb
Arrogant
Level of competition

5’11 185 pound WRs are a dime a dozen.
He didn’t test as well as you’d like to see a smaller receiver perform, played fast though
Too dumb to get into FSU, kicked out of FIU for fighting security. Needed hand held at CMich.
Reportedly had massive ego, potential diva qualities at C Mich.
Played MAC schools, how would he perform playing big time corners every week.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:32 am 

SP wrote:
KC wrote:

Small
Slow
Dumb
Arrogant
Level of competition

5’11 185 pound WRs are a dime a dozen.
He didn’t test as well as you’d like to see a smaller receiver perform, played fast though
Too dumb to get into FSU, kicked out of FIU for fighting security. Needed hand held at CMich.
Reportedly had massive ego, potential diva qualities at C Mich.
Played MAC schools, how would he perform playing big time corners every week.

So the writing was on the wall :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:38 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Charles Demarr wrote:

Unless Drake was blowing smoke up our asses in his interview about DJ, it sounds like the kid has a ton of natural skill and a shit ton of upside on top of it. Drake sure makes it sound like we just drafted a possible AB / Santonio H type player. Excited to see what he can do with a Ben R throwing the ball.

If you watch the whole interview Drake admits he knew nothing about this kid until "Mike T" brought Johnson to Drake's attention asking Drake to watch his film. I found that very interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:45 am 

So this is a Mike T pick. OK. Let’s hope he’s better at this than selecting DBs (they’ve been very good at picking WRs, I just hope the AB comparisons didn’t create some kind of infatuation with this kid).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:24 am 

Charles Demarr wrote:

Good stuff. Interesting on Arians.

Sounds like he went a little higher than most had him ranked, but if the kid can play then I don't care.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:31 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:35 am 

Who in the hell is Drake?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:38 am 

I'm reading a lot of the same analysis from all over Steeler nation about this pick. This pick has most folks concerned. First..., I'm seeing, WR wasn't that big of a need to spend this high of a pick on. Next..., I'm seeing, WR with these attributes who wasn't consistent at his level of competition was for all intents and purposes a huge reach. Finally..., I'm seeing, this was a Steelers manic move to try and get a Brown clone; Brown will never be replaced or replicated. As much controversy the trade up for Bush is I think this pick is easily as big a controversy.

The current discussion in the Layne thread pretty much confirms it. With the trade up for Bush the Steelers watched corners/safeties fly off the board in round 2. The fact Layne fell to them in round 3 @83 is a small draft gift. Safety is still a big need as is IOL and Edge. Perhaps FS Redwine, FS Amadi are still available. DT Renell Wren is still available. Beau Benzschawel, Dru Samia are still available. Edge, D'andre Walker, Anthony Nelson are still available. TE Foster Moreau still available. Vosean Joseph, Blake Cashman still available.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:39 am 

cop1211 wrote:

WR's coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:39 am 

cop1211 wrote:

Canadian rapper. :lol:

Steelers WR coach

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:44 am 

Dulac tweeted Steelers had a first round grade on Dionte. They loved him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:48 am 

Can you imagine the clusterfuck of insanity if they drafted Johnson @20? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:53 am 

I don’t know what to think of this pick. I don’t know a lot about him other than a highlight reel or two. I put no stock in highlight reels.
When I listened to Drake’s presser on the kid, it got me excited, but then searching draft ranking sites, he was very low on all of them. Most of them didn’t even rank him as the highest Toledo WR, some not even the second highest. There doesn’t seem to be anything about his game that sticks out other than as a returner. He just seems very ordinary to me, and a huge reach. Hopefully he surprises.

My biggest problem with what the Steelers are doing is that it appears that they went into the draft with the idea of replacing guys instead of improving the team. Bush to replace Shazier...Johnson to replace AB. Who knows, very well could work out great, but so far it’s been underwhelming.

File this one under “the sun will rise in the morning”...
Turned on ESPN draft coverage, and there’s Mel Kiper gushing over the Ravens draft picks... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:59 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
I don’t know what to think of this pick. I don’t know a lot about him other than a highlight reel or two. I put no stock in highlight reels.
When I listened to Drake’s presser on the kid, it got me excited, but then searching draft ranking sites, he was very low on all of them. Most of them didn’t even rank him as the highest Toledo WR, some not even the second highest. There doesn’t seem to be anything about his game that sticks out other than as a returner. He just seems very ordinary to me, and a huge reach. Hopefully he surprises.

My biggest problem with what the Steelers are doing is that it appears that they went into the draft with the idea of replacing guys instead of improving the team. Bush to replace Shazier...Johnson to replace AB. Who knows, very well could work out great, but so far it’s been underwhelming.

File this one under “the sun will rise in the morning”...
Turned on ESPN draft coverage, and there’s Mel Kiper gushing over the Ravens draft picks... :roll:

PFF had him as a 2nd rounder.

Kiper gushing over Raven picks what a total non shock.

Don't get caught up to much where websites have players ranked. Dk Metcalf is a prime example of many of them not being near as in tune with teams draft boards as we think they are.

Last edited by steelclan on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next