It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4th Round Pick 122 Benny Snell RB Kentucky
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm 

I agree teams game planned for Snell but he still got the yards and td love this kid.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:29 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Steelers proving they don't draft for need... :P

We needed a back. No way you can rely on Connor & Samuels to carry the load.

Glad we added a RB.

We have the opportunity to revamp the O now that we don’t have to ensure one WR a certain amount of targets.

This kid should be a nice addition to the RB unit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:14 am 

I know some people are down on Snell because they don't think he's fast enough. I get that, although we did say the same thing about Bell and Conner to be fair. They dropped weight. Bell, however, was around 240 his rookie year and dropped to 225 his second year where he really showed off some speed. Snell is listed as 224 now....not sure how much more weight he can drop...probably a bit.

As for those that say he's not a power back, I don't understand that. The guy runs through a lot of tackles and certainly doesn't shy from contact. Defenses will pack the middle on him, so the big question is whether or not he can get to the edge in the NFL. We'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:34 am 

snell is a beast. plays and runs hard. hes as fast or faster then the jets overpaid rapper!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:48 am 

StillerDownSouth wrote:
alhill wrote:
Good football player, but I have no idea how he fits in the 21st century NFL.

Patriots played power football all year last year. Worked out pretty well for them.

Patriots were 7th in Pts/Dr last year, has to be one of their worst offenses in the past 15 years.

Scored 17 vs Steelers

13 points in the SB should get you a loss, the worst point total for a winning team in SB history.

The last thing this franchise needs is our HC falling in love with a plodding bell cow RB. Count me slightly concerned.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:08 am 

franco32 wrote:
I know some people are down on Snell because they don't think he's fast enough. I get that, although we did say the same thing about Bell and Conner to be fair. They dropped weight. Bell, however, was around 240 his rookie year and dropped to 225 his second year where he really showed off some speed. Snell is listed as 224 now....not sure how much more weight he can drop...probably a bit.

As for those that say he's not a power back, I don't understand that. The guy runs through a lot of tackles and certainly doesn't shy from contact. Defenses will pack the middle on him, so the big question is whether or not he can get to the edge in the NFL. We'll see.

I don't know about the level of competition, but on the highlights, the guy reminds me of Isaac Redman.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:14 am 

Still Lit wrote:
franco32 wrote:

I don't know about the level of competition, but on the highlights, the guy reminds me of Isaac Redman.

If you’re talking about Snell, he played in the SEC...the level of competition doesn’t get any better than that at the collegiate level.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:33 pm 

A little taste of what this guy can do:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:55 pm 

I guess I caught a couple posters with sarcasm. Guess you didn't notice the :P at the end of the sentence.

Go into the mock contest thread where you'll find I also mocked a RB.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:08 pm 

Snell is not perfect. He does lack top end burst. But he does some little things that in the NFL are absolutely a must:

Pass pro ...I didn't watch all that many RBs this season (8 I think) but Snell was far and away the best pass blocker. He excels here. Uses great pad level and not in the least bit afraid to meet on rushing LBers or Defensive lineman. For contrast Justice Hill is the polar opposite.

Taking what his oline and the defense gives him. Snell rarely tries to make something out of nothing and he has a great habit of always falling forward. I know it isn't sexy but sometimes taking 3-4 yards instead of dancing around is by far the better option. As scat backs that excel in College finds that out real fast. in the NFL. Obviously Snell is't a scat back :lol:

I watched a number of his games. I linked Miss St game and if you want to see a really poor game? Georgia game is ugly. The Miss St game is far more of what he did for Kentucky consistently and it came against a very good defense that included Sweat and Simmons in the front 7.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:26 pm 

:lol: Love It!
All we need is for Johnson to adopt #84 and it's a clean slate....
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:32 am 

steelclan wrote:
Snell is not perfect. He does lack top end burst. But he does some little things that in the NFL are absolutely a must:

Pass pro ...I didn't watch all that many RBs this season (8 I think) but Snell was far and away the best pass blocker. He excels here. Uses great pad level and not in the least bit afraid to meet on rushing LBers or Defensive lineman. For contrast Justice Hill is the polar opposite.

Taking what his oline and the defense gives him. Snell rarely tries to make something out of nothing and he has a great habit of always falling forward. I know it isn't sexy but sometimes taking 3-4 yards instead of dancing around is by far the better option. As scat backs that excel in College finds that out real fast. in the NFL. Obviously Snell is't a scat back :lol:

I watched a number of his games. I linked Miss St game and if you want to see a really poor game? Georgia game is ugly. The Miss St game is far more of what he did for Kentucky consistently and it came against a very good defense that included Sweat and Simmons in the front 7.

I agree that he is better than I thought on first watch. I started with Georgia game, naturally.

BTW, pass pro is a huge deal and Khari Blasingame was the best RB I saw at it this year. I really like Blasingame as one of those guys who makes a niche for himself in the NFL.

Anyway, Snell's first acceleration seems legit, even if he lacks a big second gear or elite COD on the move. I do like his patience... good quality in a short-yardage runner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am 

I like this pic. He's shiftier than what he appears, and does have initial burst. Also : a bowling ball.

Reminds me a bit of Leonard Fornette.

I watched about 3/4 of that tape and he didn't catch one ball. Can he catch?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:18 pm 

steelclan wrote:

This sounds exactl;y like a guy the Pats would draft, no?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:26 pm 

steelclan wrote:

Great post clan. What a game there by Snell. Doesn’t look like the UK offense ran a lot of screens; any recon on what he can do in the passing game? Samuels might be our specialty back for that, as he excels in it; but just wondering.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:13 pm 

I loved this kid last season has the heart needed for being a RB>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:29 am 

I personally love this pick the more I consider how he would see the field.

If this kid gets snaps, its because were winding down the clock or we have experienced catastrophic injuries.

As much as we want a Kamara-type to add a change of pace, it just isn't a fit for this team and the way they play. They play in shit weather toward the end of the year, and if you look at the Bears last year with Tarik Cohen, he faded down the stretch and it became all about Jordan Howard toward the end.

If we hold true to our form, we will demolish Conner with excessive carries from Sept-Nov, and by Dec, we will have run the tread off of his tires like the nimpcompoops we are. In Dec/Jan when we need mudders who grind out tough yards, would you want Justice Hill or Mike Weber slogging through the much and blocking linebackers?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 6:14 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
RB here? Discuss...

I expected they would target safety, DLine or edge here with this pick. Even TE.

Somewhere Tim is rubbing one out in quiet desperation.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 pm 

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-sign-snell

Snell on the books officially 4-year deal

Quote:
Steelers sign Snell

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers signed fourth-round draft pick Benny Snell to a four-year contract. Snell, who played at the University of Kentucky, was selected with the 122nd pick overall.

Snell started 27 of the 39 games he played at Kentucky and broke or tied 14 school records. The most notable one for the young running back is career rushing yards, holding the record with 3,873. He rushed for 1,449 yards in 2018 and was a second-team All-American and first-team All-SEC selection.

“I'm really excited about Benny,” said running backs coach Eddie Faulkner. “Very evident when you sit down with this young man how much passion he has for the game, how much he loves it, how he loves being around it. We were very interested in finding someone who had a passion and just loves football, and that's Benny Snell. As soon as you turn on his tape, and watch how he plays the game, he mirrors that same amount of passion. He plays physical, plays hard, and quite honestly represents the Steelers brand, as you watch him play as a football player.”

Snell said he was familiar with the Steelers offensive style before he was even drafted and that he fits right into the mold.

“It’s hard-nosed football,” said Snell. “I am grinding for every yard. I am a physical player. My style of running is Steelers football. Pittsburgh football. That is what I am going to bring.”

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:59 pm 

With the ball in his hands...Meaning running style skills and the way he finishes runs he reminds me of

Jerome Bettis at Notre Dame...When Bettis weighed 245.

I am not attacking Bettis or talking shit on Snell. Lets be honest if Bettis is 245 there...He played at 275-280 in Pittsburgh

I also see a splash of Bell...The patience to allow blocks to develop

Another thing...No offense to Kentucky fans....The quarterback play was fucking awful

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:09 pm 

FC wrote:
With the ball in his hands...Meaning running style skills and the way he finishes runs he reminds me of

Jerome Bettis at Notre Dame...When Bettis weighed 245.

I am not attacking Bettis or talking shit on Snell. Lets be honest if Bettis is 245 there...He played at 275-280 in Pittsburgh

I also see a splash of Bell...The patience to allow blocks to develop

Another thing...No offense to Kentucky fans....The quarterback play was fucking awful

The patience is a thing that I hope serves him well.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:20 pm 

I'm not excited about a 4 minute Snell offense. 4 minute offense is not the problem with this team. Our coaches don't need to be thinking about easing up on the gas pedal, they need to be thinking about scoring more points.

The Saints offense was better when Ingram was hurt. Kamara is better for them and it's not close. Ingram slows down their offense, makes them easier to defend, makes them less dynamic and less dangerous.

In today's league... I would go small/speed at RB (with good hands for the passing game). I want guys who can eat up the space Roger Goodell is freely offering every team if they have the personnel to take advantage. Slashers over shifty.

I was glad to see slow motion Leveon gone so I'm not excited about adding a slow RB.

Having said all that...

Snell gives us (probably quality) depth at the position which is worth something.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:54 pm 

Havoc wrote:
I'm not excited about a 4 minute Snell offense. 4 minute offense is not the problem with this team. Our coaches don't need to be thinking about easing up on the gas pedal, they need to be thinking about scoring more points.

The Saints offense was better when Ingram was hurt. Kamara is better for them and it's not close. Ingram slows down their offense, makes them easier to defend, makes them less dynamic and less dangerous.

In today's league... I would go small/speed at RB (with good hands for the passing game). I want guys who can eat up the space Roger Goodell is freely offering every team if they have the personnel to take advantage. Slashers over shifty.

I was glad to see slow motion Leveon gone so I'm not excited about adding a slow RB.

Having said all that...

Snell gives us (probably quality) depth at the position which is worth something.

I agree with what you’re saying...I fear we are going to see a Cahr ball type of offense. Attrition football...NFL version of small ball. Control the clock and shorten the game, the “Steelers way”. I hope I’m wrong, but...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 pm 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Steelafan77 wrote:
RB here? Discuss...

I expected they would target safety, DLine or edge here with this pick. Even TE.

Somewhere Tim is rubbing one out in quiet desperation.

I believe Steelers4Tim, Todd, and RON all 100% approve of the player. Benny gets the Steelerfury trifecta of rb approval.

TD: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 am 

Hopefully he turns out better than their last mancrush. The Jorvorskie Lane NFL bus really never left the station.