It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boom, Bust, or Meh
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:15 am 

And Bell his rookie year, where he averaged 3.5 yards per carry, he was this perfect specimen of pass protection??

See what I don't like is how we expect a young rookie, like Samuels or Conner, to somehow be perfect when Brown, or Bell were not as rookies either.

What I don't like is how we glorify Bell and Brown and imply that they were ALWAYS great from day one as rookies. They weren't, far from it. Which is why I don't make a big deal about the minor things that Samuels or Conner may or may not do, the things that Diontae Johnson may or may not do. They get a pass from me, just like Bell and Brown did when they first started in the league.

I do remember one year that DeAngelo Williams was ranked as one of the best pass protectors and it was always my feeling that Bell learned a great deal about the finer points of the game from DWill. He was not innately gifted at doing it, it took time and he had a great vet to show how it was supposed to be done.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:44 am 

Scunge wrote:
See what I don't like is how we expect a young rookie, like Samuels or Conner, to somehow be perfect when Brown, or Bell were not as rookies either. What I don't like is how we glorify Bell and Brown and imply that they were ALWAYS great from day one as rookies.

Calling BS. No one holds the view I bolded. Every poster on the board knows that AB was not a star overnight. Every poster on the board knows that Bell did not break out until his second season.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:01 pm 

Scunge wrote:
And Bell his rookie year, where he averaged 3.5 yards per carry, he was this perfect specimen of pass protection??

See what I don't like is how we expect a young rookie, like Samuels or Conner, to somehow be perfect when Brown, or Bell were not as rookies either.

What I don't like is how we glorify Bell and Brown and imply that they were ALWAYS great from day one as rookies. They weren't, far from it. Which is why I don't make a big deal about the minor things that Samuels or Conner may or may not do, the things that Diontae Johnson may or may not do. They get a pass from me, just like Bell and Brown did when they first started in the league.

I do remember one year that DeAngelo Williams was ranked as one of the best pass protectors and it was always my feeling that Bell learned a great deal about the finer points of the game from DWill. He was not innately gifted at doing it, it took time and he had a great vet to show how it was supposed to be done.

Which is why I said they had to show improvement. If they can't do blitz pick up they will not play.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:18 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Scunge wrote:
See what I don't like is how we expect a young rookie, like Samuels or Conner, to somehow be perfect when Brown, or Bell were not as rookies either. What I don't like is how we glorify Bell and Brown and imply that they were ALWAYS great from day one as rookies.

Calling BS. No one holds the view I bolded. Every poster on the board knows that AB was not a star overnight. Every poster on the board knows that Bell did not break out until his second season.

Some even referred to bell as labia bell.

TD:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:00 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Scunge wrote:
Is this pass protection just another myth? Was Bell that dominant a blocker or is it just sort of half myth, half hyperbole, part of the Bell PR machine??

It was not a myth.

Fine Bell fumbled more toward the end.

Still, as an all-around, do-everything, 3 down back, Bell was damn good. He never had break away speed, but GD did the man move the chains and not lose yardage.

Bell turned out to be a douche, much like AB. Doesn't mean he was not an elite back. Likely the Steelers got the best out of Bell and he is now on the down side of his career. No need to minimize how good he was.

Bell was, in my mind, Jerome Bettis who could catch short passes.

His lack of breakaway ability kept him, in my mind, from being elite.

This is why I wasn't concerned IN THE LEAST when Bell left. I knew he would be replaceable and that's exactly what happened.

Brown will be tougher to replace, but nobody spreads the ball around better than Ben Roethlisberger. Nobody.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:36 pm 

Huh, so the past couple years I sure remember a lot of people proclaiming Bell to be great from day one. And as his play declined there were many excuses, as the fumbles occurred more frequently, those were conveniently ignored, as the explosive plays over 20+ yards started to drastically decline, that too was not to be talked about. And when a Deangelo Williams and James Conner would start in his place and have better production, TDs, the offense scoring more points with them then Bell?? Again, more feeble excuses. Just pay the man!!! Once in a generation talent!!! Best RB in the NFL!!! Many, many posters on this board always had blinders on with Bell.

The news out of New York this week is hilarious. Bell might only see two years of that new contract and then be cut, Karma is a bitch.

Brown being replaced is not hard at all. I would even argue that JuJu was starting to do that last season. The focal point of the passing game? The living, beating heart of the passing game?? It sure seemed to me that JuJu was replacing Brown as that heartbeat of the passing game. And Ben probably felt the same way.

There have been many WRs that have come and gone with Ben, but one thing is clear, most, if not all, play their best with Ben as their QB. And he has a way of making WRs play great. I am not worried at all, it will quickly be a non-issue by mid-season, Antonio who??

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:56 pm 

I disagree. Don’t recall people saying Bell was elite in or after year one. The rest of your paragraph is a different issue.

Bell is gone.

What exactly are you championing, here? That Bell was some JAG RB?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:10 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
I disagree. Don’t recall people saying Bell was elite in or after year one. The rest of your paragraph is a different issue.

Bell is gone.

What exactly are you championing, here? That Bell was some JAG RB?

Personally (and I'm not Scunge who I'm sure you were asking these questions) I look at Bell as a very good, reliable back.

Upper level for sure. Tough bastard who had a very unusual, unique style. Gave us some great moments.

Elite? Fuck no.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 am 

Quote:
Devin Bush, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: I like everything about the Steelers' bold move to trade up for Bush, who offers an intoxicating blend of speed and coverage ability. The 10th overall pick is an ideal fit and leader for this unit. He will post gaudy numbers as an inside 'backer for Mike Tomlin http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -1-success
Rooting especially for the latter portion of this opinionated projection As a fan. As a realist... lets just say I'm a bit skeptical at this point in the process. Nice to read though.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 pm 

I saw very good things from Jaylen Samuels last season. When he got his big opportunity against New England, Samulks ran for 147 yards on 19 carries, 179 yards from scrimmage.

Samuels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_POxu63n-8

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 pm 

Past/present success = O-Line.