It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomlin & new deal
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:35 am 

As I've said...repeatedly...this fuckin' guy's job is safer than the Pope's.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-st ... ghSteelers

Post subject: Re: Tomlin & new deal
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:15 am 

Don't fucking scare me like that - I thought they re-signed Tomlin!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am 

Donnie Brasco wrote:

Prepare yourself, cause it’s gonna happen...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:36 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:

Prepare yourself, cause it’s gonna happen...

Yeah, I mean, that article sounded like 95% speculation based off of a gut feeling Bouchette had after a conversation with Rooney....but we all know it's going to happen. It just is.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:42 am 

The sun also rose this morning...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am 

Maybe it's Ben's fault...."the less turnover the better".

Proven - Tomlin is bad at game management.
Given - 31 other teams would have fired Tomlin long ago.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:51 am 

Still Lit wrote:

To be fair, Pittsburgh goes days without seeing the sun, so no one here actually knows if that's true.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:56 am 

When the extension happens I'm so very curious to see what that thread morphs into. Should be a doozy.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:05 am 

Louis Lipps Service wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

To be fair, Pittsburgh goes days without seeing the sun, so no one here actually knows if that's true.

Ha! My wife and I miss living in Pittsburgh very, very much, but she definitely does not miss the endless grey.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Ha! My wife and I miss living in Pittsburgh very, very much, but she definitely does not miss the endless grey.

Yeah, it's really become a great city, and I love it too (originally from outside of Johnstown and never imagined I'd enjoy "city" life).

But it does have its annoyances. Climate for the past few years has been really odd. I keep telling people our summers have turned into being borderline tropical. Humid as hell (and I spent 3 years living in Mississippi, so I do know what humidity feels like). And it seems like we've seen the regular emergence of weirdly heavy wind storms that I don't remember ever getting. But now we get them every few weeks, it seems.

Snow is now a rare occurrence in the winter. There's like 2 or 3 times per winter when it gets cold as hell and drops into the negatives, but we just don't see much snow anymore, even when it is that cold. Maybe a stray storm once in a while, but it's usually melted the next day. And the storms always occur when the weather people DON'T predict them. They'll spend an entire week talking about a storm that never hits us, but completely ignore a blizzard that popups out of nowhere and dumps 6 inches in 3 hour.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:42 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

I love Pittsburgh. Moved away in 1988. Stayed away for about ten years. Then, I started finding excuses to come back. Still prefer Carolina winters. But I wish I could afford to be a two-city guy. Pittsburgh would definitely be my headquarters from About mid-April through about the end of October. And also, of course, Stiller home game days.

Also. Tomlin sucks. Needs replacing. Prolly won’t get it, though.

Last edited by Quixotic on Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:46 am 

Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to believe after last year's trainwreck that Tomlin could get an extension. But I seriously doubt Roonney would guarantee Tomlin another $18M if he thinks it's a real possibility he might fire him after this year.

10+ years since we won a SB....1 embarrassing AFCC in the last 8 years. There's no rational reason Tomlin's seat wouldn't be red hot. We're only still here because he won a SB with Cowher's coaches and players.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:58 am 

Still Lit wrote:

Yeah, it's really become a great city, and I love it too (originally from outside of Johnstown and never imagined I'd enjoy "city" life).

But it does have its annoyances. Climate for the past few years has been really odd. I keep telling people our summers have turned into being borderline tropical. Humid as hell (and I spent 3 years living in Mississippi, so I do know what humidity feels like). And it seems like we've seen the regular emergence of weirdly heavy wind storms that I don't remember ever getting. But now we get them every few weeks, it seems.

Snow is now a rare occurrence in the winter. There's like 2 or 3 times per winter when it gets cold as hell and drops into the negatives, but we just don't see much snow anymore, even when it is that cold. Maybe a stray storm once in a while, but it's usually melted the next day. And the storms always occur when the weather people DON'T predict them. They'll spend an entire week talking about a storm that never hits us, but completely ignore a blizzard that popups out of nowhere and dumps 6 inches in 3 hour.

I was there for the snowpocalypse in 2009 or whatever it was. I grew up in Texas and had never seen anything like it.

It has become an increasingly expensive city, apparently. I lived in the East End in Friendship. I grew a gut drinking beer and shoveling wings in my face at the Sharp Edge. When I returned after four years to defend my doctoral work I could barely recognize the East End! Condos out the ying yang, robot cars. Stayed with my old landlords with whom my wife and I had become very close. They joked that they had doubled the rent for our old place because demand had become so high. In Friendship for goodness' sake!

People that have never lived in the 'burgh have no clue what kind of place it is. It's fucking badass. Loved my time there. Loved going to Steelers games on the fly. Loved listening to soul music on the Juke Box in Kelly's. Loved bowling in Arsenal Lanes and listening to locals tell me how all the "faggot hipsters" had ruined Lawrenceville.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am 

Rooney said it was but a missed kick here and a lil slip there. Otherwise, this was a playoff team in his mind.

Tomlin gets extended.

Unfortunate as it is.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:03 am 

Grew up in the Chicago area and DETESTED the October thru April grey fucking skies.

Booked for South Florida 21 years ago and never looked back.

Still love visiting Chi-town but you couldn't pay me to live there again.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am 

955876 wrote:
Rooney said it was but a missed kick here and a lil slip there. Otherwise, this was a playoff team in his mind.

Tomlin gets extended.

Unfortunate as it is.

Not much of an incentive for Tomlin to make changes if he gets an extension and raise.....

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:05 am 

KC wrote:
Grew up in the Chicago area and DETESTED the October thru April grey fucking skies.

Booked for South Florida 21 years ago and never looked back.

Still love visiting Chi-town but you couldn't pay me to live there again.

You ever shake your ass at Danny's with Dante Carfagna spinning soul and funk 45s on the turntables? That is an experience not to be missed.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 am 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:

Tomlin gets extended.

Unfortunate as it is.

Not much of an incentive for Tomlin to make changes if he gets an extension and raise.....

Kind of like telling trade partners you’ve set an arbitrary deadline for yourself.

I’m not a fan or how this Rooney has been running the show.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:44 am 

955876 wrote:
I’m not a fan or how this Rooney has been running the show.

Here's a scary thought: Colbert leaves, and Tomlin basically runs the show on FA and the draft.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm 

So the article claims Colbert is allowed to stay as long as he wants, and his next deal will be year to year.

And his replacement is Brandon Hunt, who will take the job whenever Colbert decided to leave.

So this dude is just chillin with guaranteed promotion.

Reminds me of the Keith Butler/Dick Lebeau situations.

Don't strain yourself making hard decisions Rooney, only a billion dollar organization you're running.

Clowns.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 pm 

Quote:
And his replacement is Brandon Hunt, who will take the job whenever Colbert decided to leave.

So this dude is just chillin with guaranteed promotion.

He interviewed for a couple jobs over the years....I believe he was a finalist for the Eagles GM gig a few years ago

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:08 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Living there at Pitt and for a couple years before and after, I always thought the grey skies just made everyone super enthusiastic when it was sunny. No matter what the actual temperature, Frick and Schenley would be full of folks dressed like it was spring in winter, or summer in spring, or what have you. It was like Angelenos when it rains, and it always struck me as really cool. Glass half full guy, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:14 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Still Lit wrote:

Your wife knew Ben?

I know, I know... just kidding

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:17 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:23 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to believe after last year's trainwreck that Tomlin could get an extension. But I seriously doubt Roonney would guarantee Tomlin another $18M if he thinks it's a real possibility he might fire him after this year.

10+ years since we won a SB....1 embarrassing AFCC in the last 8 years. There's no rational reason Tomlin's seat wouldn't be red hot. We're only still here because he won a SB with Cowher's coaches and players.

It's simple: they don't assess the blame for last year as being on Tomlin.

Ownership/GM kept enabling the asshole. Re-doing deals and adding money. They created the monster that coaches had to deal with.

Mike Tomlin didn't run the negotiations with Bell.

He sure as hell didn't make Boswell suck or officiate the games.

Now, he had his share of mistakes and problematic decisions that he has to be accountable for... but I could see ownership thinking he did well to navigate what he had to work with in that locker room.

Personally, I think it's a big prove-it year for Tomlin, Colbert, Butler, & Ben. They finally got the decks cleared of human refuse, got at least a suitable replacement for the piece their defense was built around, and they're due for a pendulum swing in their favor in the reversion to the mean of bounces/penalties/calls/turnovers. I kinda expect them to be playing the best football in 10 years by the time midseason rolls around-- and not so much because of a lethargic start, but simply rookies in vital positions and struggles defending the run, which like OL play is about working in sync.

And stability/staying the course is WAY more important to the Steelers than any change.