It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tomlin & new deal
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:28 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
955876 wrote:
I’m not a fan or how this Rooney has been running the show.

Here's a scary thought: Colbert leaves, and Tomlin basically runs the show on FA and the draft.

There aren't many examples to go by to specifically point at Tomlin, but Alejandro Villanueva, Devin Bush, and Deionte Johnson definitely are guys that Tomlin spearheaded.

Pretty sure I recall Dick LeBeau being the driving force behind drafting Jarvis Jones.

Although there's a ton of groupthink in the Steelers org, when there are examples of "guys coach loved' (how Colbert puts it), they aren't a trainwreck.

I think you could make a case that Dan Rooney Jr has more influence in reality than the Steelers coaches do. They seem to draft heavily from his sphere and he's the one who makes the portfolios for the coaches and GM.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to believe after last year's trainwreck that Tomlin could get an extension. But I seriously doubt Roonney would guarantee Tomlin another $18M if he thinks it's a real possibility he might fire him after this year.

10+ years since we won a SB....1 embarrassing AFCC in the last 8 years. There's no rational reason Tomlin's seat wouldn't be red hot. We're only still here because he won a SB with Cowher's coaches and players.

It's simple: they don't assess the blame for last year as being on Tomlin.

Ownership/GM kept enabling the asshole. Re-doing deals and adding money. They created the monster that coaches had to deal with.

Mike Tomlin didn't run the negotiations with Bell.

He sure as hell didn't make Boswell suck or officiate the games.

Now, he had his share of mistakes and problematic decisions that he has to be accountable for... but I could see ownership thinking he did well to navigate what he had to work with in that locker room.

Personally, I think it's a big prove-it year for Tomlin, Colbert, Butler, & Ben. They finally got the decks cleared of human refuse, got at least a suitable replacement for the piece their defense was built around, and they're due for a pendulum swing in their favor in the reversion to the mean of bounces/penalties/calls/turnovers. I kinda expect them to be playing the best football in 10 years by the time midseason rolls around-- and not so much because of a lethargic start, but simply rookies in vital positions and struggles defending the run, which like OL play is about working in sync.

And stability/staying the course is WAY more important to the Steelers than any change.

If it's a "prove it year" then it should be a "prove it" year.

Which means no extension unless you prove it.

What's Tomlin gonna do if he doesn't get an extension this year?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:45 pm 

Either that, or you give him an extension, knowing full well that you might have to eat some money at the end of the year.

I don't think you undermine him with the team by having him be a lame-duck.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:48 pm 

He's pretty good at "us against them," I could almost see the team performing better with him needing to prove himself to the front office.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:52 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Stranger things have happened, but it's hard to believe after last year's trainwreck that Tomlin could get an extension. But I seriously doubt Roonney would guarantee Tomlin another $18M if he thinks it's a real possibility he might fire him after this year.

10+ years since we won a SB....1 embarrassing AFCC in the last 8 years. There's no rational reason Tomlin's seat wouldn't be red hot. We're only still here because he won a SB with Cowher's coaches and players.

Perhaps you haven’t heard...only missed winning the division by half a game.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:05 pm 

Tomlin is the nightmare that causes me to wake up in the middle of the night....and then I fall back asleep and the nightmare picks up where it left off

Where x = violent men playing on blades of grass
Where y = efficiency factor
Where z = because Tomlin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:40 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Either that, or you give him an extension, knowing full well that you might have to eat some money at the end of the year.

I don't think you undermine him with the team by having him be a lame-duck.

When's the last time Rooney ate money?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:20 pm 

Pretty sure he ate money with AB.

But he wouldn’t extend him then fire him. Never happen.

His only real out is most likely the simply not renew contract route...

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 am 

Tomlin and Butler have their work cut out big time. Tough schedule and we still have holes on this roster; god forbid one of our A1 guys go down.

The good news is that the “noise” about Tomlin being a fraud is pretty much loud and clear now, meaning the media (which by and large sucks) was going on and on about it during last year’s free fall from Thanksgiving on.

Steelers have a chance to go back to what made them the most storied franchise in football. We’ve flushed the divas, replaced them with guys that are beloved (JJSS, Haden and Watt) and rookies that seem like they were born to be Steelers (Bush).

I didn’t realize how much the dramatic bullshit ruined my viewing experience last season until Bell and Brown were gone. Now that they are, I find myself getting very excited for this upcoming season, but me being reminded that Tomlin is still our coach and that he will likely be extended before camp (Christ Almighty) tempers my excitement a bit.

Go Steelers, but if Tomlin buries this team early given our schedule is tough as hell, then his ass better be removed before week 8.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:34 am 

I thought Tomlin had two years left on his current deal? He has traditionally been extended with 2 years left. But he's not a lame duck, and there's no real reason to give him an extension right now.

If Tomlin gets extended, he's probably the HC at least until Ben retires.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:21 am 

Kodiak wrote:
I thought Tomlin had two years left on his current deal? He has traditionally been extended with 2 years left. But he's not a lame duck, and there's no real reason to give him an extension right now.

If Tomlin gets extended, he's probably the HC at least until Ben retires.

His current contract runs through the 2020 season. So he would not be a lame duck next year in2019. The history of the team has been to extend with 2 years remaining at least back through Cowher.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 am 

Orangesteel wrote:
Tomlin and Butler have their work cut out big time. Tough schedule and we still have holes on this roster; god forbid one of our A1 guys go down.

The good news is that the “noise” about Tomlin being a fraud is pretty much loud and clear now, meaning the media (which by and large sucks) was going on and on about it during last year’s free fall from Thanksgiving on.

Steelers have a chance to go back to what made them the most storied franchise in football. We’ve flushed the divas, replaced them with guys that are beloved (JJSS, Haden and Watt) and rookies that seem like they were born to be Steelers (Bush).

I didn’t realize how much the dramatic bullshit ruined my viewing experience last season until Bell and Brown were gone. Now that they are, I find myself getting very excited for this upcoming season, but me being reminded that Tomlin is still our coach and that he will likely be extended before camp (Christ Almighty) tempers my excitement a bit.

Go Steelers, but if Tomlin buries this team early given our schedule is tough as hell, then his ass better be removed before week 8.

Orange....seriously!! You think there's ANY way this happens??? Steelers could be 0-8 by week 8, and we're still seeing Tomlin's mug in the Tuesday pressers, slinging the same exceedingly well-developed line of bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:01 am 

I go back and forth Swiss. I see where you are coming from, but I also think the Tomlin hate we heard/saw after being 7-2-1 and missing the playoffs last season was unprecedented for Mikey T.

I think there are some die hards that focus on the NHALS bullshit, but I also think there is a large percentage of Steeler Nation that do not like Tomlin and want him gone. I think the brass hears that; whether they would make a move? I dunno. But the Ben Window is a real thing and it’s closing. He’s a generational QB and Tomlin’s antics have a been a skid mark on the underpants of this franchise, reaching a crescendo last season.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:21 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:

Don't forget that you've been watching a Head Coach saddled with Todd Haley, AB, and the in and out experience of having Le"veon Bell on your roster (or not). It's been a while since dude has had much of a chance to do anything other than ego wrangling. It could be that it's SSDD in 2019, or it could be that he ends up COTY.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:22 pm 

Orangesteel wrote:
I go back and forth Swiss. I see where you are coming from, but I also think the Tomlin hate we heard/saw after being 7-2-1 and missing the playoffs last season was unprecedented for Mikey T.

I think there are some die hards that focus on the NHALS bullshit, but I also think there is a large percentage of Steeler Nation that do not like Tomlin and want him gone. I think the brass hears that; whether they would make a move? I dunno. But the Ben Window is a real thing and it’s closing. He’s a generational QB and Tomlin’s antics have a been a skid mark on the underpants of this franchise, reaching a crescendo last season.

See, I don't see last year as Tomlin's "antics" at all. He finally drew the line in the sand with the superstar no one wanted to stand up to. If last season's collapse was the price to pay for getting rid of that cancer, then so be it.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 pm 

By “antics” I think the OP was referring to such things as the amateurish display he put on out in Oakland.

A decent high school football coach wins that game.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:09 pm 

Oakland was CLEARLY a debacle.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:21 pm 

955876 wrote:
By “antics” I think the OP was referring to such things as the amateurish display he put on out in Oakland.

A decent high school football coach wins that game.

This.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:22 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

And that.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:

And that’s why many of us keep harping on the man. He can clean up all the malcontents & locker room cancers he wants but that doesn’t really help the bottom line when it’s his very own game day actions and decisions that lead to defeat.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:33 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Don't forget that you've been watching a Head Coach saddled with Todd Haley, AB, and the in and out experience of having Le"veon Bell on your roster (or not). It's been a while since dude has had much of a chance to do anything other than ego wrangling. It could be that it's SSDD in 2019, or it could be that he ends up COTY.

We need to itimize all the Tomlin excuses. Good Lord! :lol:

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert

"I work in a bank." - Demetreus Gore

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:05 pm 

955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

And that’s why many of us keep harping on the man. He can clean up all the malcontents & locker room cancers he wants but that doesn’t really help the bottom line when it’s his very own game day actions and decisions that lead to defeat.

It's a trade-off. If he was told that Ben wasn't cleared to play unless in case of emergency, that part of it I can understand being at least confusing for a game-day situation.

But do other stuff that wins you the game if need be.

JL it's not about excuses-- he didn't make any. I'm merely pointing out some of the situation there that he's had to deal with. Call it a reality check on expectations.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:57 pm 

JackLambert58 wrote:
We need to itimize all the Tomlin excuses. Good Lord! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:44 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
955876 wrote:
bradshaw2ben wrote:

It's a trade-off. If he was told that Ben wasn't cleared to play unless in case of emergency, that part of it I can understand being at least confusing for a game-day situation.

But do other stuff that wins you the game if need be.

JL it's not about excuses-- he didn't make any. I'm merely pointing out some of the situation there that he's had to deal with. Call it a reality check on expectations.

I don’t know...pretty sure he hired Todd Haley, was all in on drafting Lev Bell and that other guy. By all accounts was the head enabler of the on and off the field antics. “I’ll treat everyone fair, but I won’t treat everyone equally.” “We’ll put up with you until the production is no longer worth the trouble.”
Unless you believe he isn’t responsible for any of this stuff, which brings us back to the potted plant theory.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:51 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Orangesteel wrote:

Really tough for a Head Coach to be saddled with a receiver that scores 15 touchdowns, regularly catches over 100 balls for over 1,000 yards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next