It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clank Johnson held out of team drills.
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:48 pm 

FC wrote:
The Steelers front office and coaching staff love Switz as well. Barring injury arrest or mental breakdown I believe his roster spot is secured. He will be the Steelers main returner and 4/5th Wr

I agree. He’s still JAG though. Infinitely upgradable.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Matakevich is a lock because of this:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player ... lo-tackles

I see multiple dudes from each team on this list. Meanwhile, only two Steelers on the entire spreadsheet. Don't know whether that is troubling or not.

That is a really interesting spreadsheet. I wonder if you sorted on teams and totaled the value if it corresponds to ST coverage rankings?
Or would it just tell you who sucks the most because they get scored on a lot?
But the other side of that is tackles on punts because their D stops other teams. Hmmm

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:25 am 

StillMadAtSlobber wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Matakevich is a lock because of this:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player ... lo-tackles

I see multiple dudes from each team on this list. Meanwhile, only two Steelers on the entire spreadsheet. Don't know whether that is troubling or not.

That is a really interesting spreadsheet. I wonder if you sorted on teams and totaled the value if it corresponds to ST coverage rankings?
Or would it just tell you who sucks the most because they get scored on a lot?
But the other side of that is tackles on punts because their D stops other teams. Hmmm

Steelers ranked 24th in total # of punts.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:27 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
But only 7.0 ypc. On the other hand 15 of his 36 catches went for first downs.

I thought Switz made a nice little niche for himself by consistently picking up first downs on 3rd and short and keeping the chains moving.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:11 am 

If memory serves, and it doesn't always, once teams adjusted to the little gadgets to Switz, the effectiveness went down pretty quickly. It wasn't to "shitgun draw" status by the end of the season, but I began to severely roll my eyes when they went to that well.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
I swear this board has DHB PTSD. He's not on the team!

this is a true statement

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:10 am 

Poltargyst wrote:
Stosh-67 wrote:
But only 7.0 ypc. On the other hand 15 of his 36 catches went for first downs.

I thought Switz made a nice little niche for himself by consistently picking up first downs on 3rd and short and keeping the chains moving.

this is a true statement

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:14 am 

https://www.steelers.com/news/switzer-i-was-in-a-bad-place-mentally

Quote:
You hear it from NFL players time and time again. Sometimes it’s when they are traded, or cut, or not re-signed.

It’s the standard line you come to expect.

They understand things happening because football ‘is a business.’

But it’s more. Yes, football is a business. But for those who play the game, it’s a passion. It’s been a part of their life since they were kids. It’s something that brings them happiness, brings them joy.

And when it’s disrupted because the sport ‘is a business,’ it can hurt like you can’t imagine.

Just ask Ryan Switzer.

Switzer was traded not just once, but twice in a five month span, landing with the Steelers before the start of the 2018 season from the Raiders, who happened to acquire him from the Cowboys just months earlier.

Looking back at it, it was tougher than he could have ever imagined. It was the low point of his career and something that brought him pain he never expected.

“I am not going to downplay it,” said Switzer. “It was extremely hard. I was in a pretty bad place when I showed up to Pittsburgh. Being traded twice in five months. Not sure what was going on. Not knowing why it wasn’t working out. When the stuff started happening in Oakland, the last two weeks of training camp the coaches stopped talking to me. They weren’t giving me any reps in the preseason. I couldn’t understand what was going on. I came to find out I was on the trading block for a while.

“Moving out of a house, to the West Coast, back to the East Coast. I lost a lot of money moving. It was a mess. I was newly married. There were a lot of factors that went into why I was feeling how I was. When I got here I didn’t expect too much. My mind hadn’t settled down. I was processing everything that was going on. That was the state I was in. I was in a really bad place mentally.”

That was until he spent a few days in the Steelers locker room. That honestly changed everything.

“It was no question the lowest I have ever been in my football career,” said Switzer. “The lowest without a doubt. Just to go from the lowest I have ever felt to potentially the highest, being integrated into this team, such a strong group of guys. It went from the lowest to the highest. That is a credit to Coach (Mike) Tomlin, the veterans in the locker room, the organization. Everyone who welcomed me and made me feel like I was at home.

“To have a Hall of Fame quarterback work with me, reach out to me. It would have been so easy for him to say this guy got here seven days before the first game. I don’t trust him, I don’t want to work with him. But he didn’t do that.”

Instead Ben Roethlisberger possibly helped save Switzer’s career. Roethlisberger welcomed Switzer in a way he never could have imagined, taking him from a dark time when he thought it was time to hang up the cleats, to the best time he had in his young NFL career.

“Ben and I talked after the season,” said Switzer. “I wanted to express my thanks to him. When I got here I remember telling my wife, my agent, I am going to see how this first couple of days go. I was so low mentally I was ready to retire. The game at that point wasn’t worth the mental stress it was putting on me and my life. He helped me so much.

“Looking back it’s crazy because football means so much to me. I love this game. It’s a top five priority in my life. To think that I felt that way and I was just a day or two away from giving up on everything I ever worked for. It’s kind of surreal looking back at it that I was that close to being done with it.

“I can’t even tell you the gratitude I have for the situation looking back at it. I wouldn’t be mentally where I am right now if I was in Dallas, if I hadn’t gone through the trades, if I hadn’t gone through the moves and everything I went through. I am going into my third year but I feel like I have played nine, just because of the things that I have learned and the stuff I have been through. I am grateful for that. It can’t do anything but propel me from here on out.

“It just took a different environment, a different set of people to bring that it out of me. I feel like when you believe in me, when you put your trust in me, I would run through a brick wall for you.”

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 am 

KC wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
You guys kill me. It’s as if you don’t even know this organization. Switzer is a lock...L-O-C-K, lock to make this team.

Why in the fuck would he be a lock to make the team?

When he first got on the field, he seemed like a decent option.

Slowly, he became less and less effective to the point where throwing him the ball was pretty much pointless.

As a returner he seemed okay, but FAR from anything special.

If he's a lock, then Matakavich should be a lock. They have a similar level of importance when on the field.

I’m not sure what the expectations should be for a 4/5 WR, but the Steelers thought enough to trade for him, then insert him into the offense almost immediately. He’s entering just his third season at only 24 yo. He has a role in the offense as a chain mover and is pretty good at what they ask him to do. 24 of his 36 catches came in the last 8 games, so one could argue he was becoming more effective.
The Steelers issues in the return game are less about the returner, and more about what goes on in front of him.
I like what the guy brings, and I’m sure the Steelers do too...LOCK.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 am 

Smashmouth21 wrote:
FC wrote:
The Steelers front office and coaching staff love Switz as well. Barring injury arrest or mental breakdown I believe his roster spot is secured. He will be the Steelers main returner and 4/5th Wr

If they have Switzer returning it over Johnson, Danny Smith needs an enema. Switzer is a really nice kid, good teammate, seems to be really interested it making a home here... but man is he JAG... 7 ypc

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:
FC wrote:

If they have Switzer returning it over Johnson, Danny Smith needs an enema. Switzer is a really nice kid, good teammate, seems to be really interested it making a home here... but man is he JAG... 7 ypc
Frankly, as a slot guy or #4,5, if 90% of his catches are for a first down, I don't care if his YPC is 5. But WTF do I know. . .

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:14 pm 

The Switzinator will be movin dem chains once again this season, rest assured. But, this year I wouldn't be surprised if he busts off several long gainers w/ two good wheels.

TD: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:35 pm 

People harp on how his #s dropped in 2018...

Woodside in 2017 threw for close to 3,900. The two bums they played in 2018 threw for over 2,800 yards. When your QBs are throwing 65 yards less a game than the year before, there is going to be a significant drop off in stats for your WRs.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Smashmouth21 wrote:
FC wrote:

His role was to just get past the sticks on 3rd and 4 and get the first down. No, he's never going to be the deep threat with a 18 ypc average.

#CdnSteelerFanStrong

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:59 am 

I believe a fully healthy Switzer does more for this team than last year. They trust him...Ben trusts him...he will get 4-5 chances a game and make the most of them, imo.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 pm 

Quote:
People harp on how his #s dropped in 2018...

Woodside in 2017

Johnson had more drops in 2017.

He supposedly improved in 2018...I failed to see it.

I will wait and see...As I stated numerous times I am concerned

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:38 pm 

FC wrote:
As I stated numerous times I am concerned
Serious question. Is he clutch? IOW, does he make the catches in critical situations. If he does, that means drops can be corrected. If he is randomly all across the board dropping passes, then it might be concerning.

He can drop a pass on first and 10 at the 20 in a game they will win against an inferior opponent, or does he make the catches when necessary where it's win or lose. This is why drop rates puzzle me. It also puzzles me when DB's are considered ball hawks when they are playing against QB's that throw the ball like they are playing in their back yards with their children.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:15 pm 

Quote:
Serious question. Is he clutch? IOW, does he make the catches in critical situations. If he does, that means drops can be corrected. If he is randomly all across the board dropping passes, then it might be concerning.

He can drop a pass on first and 10 at the 20 in a game they will win against an inferior opponent, or does he make the catches when necessary where it's win or lose. This is why drop rates puzzle me. It also puzzles me when DB's are considered ball hawks when they are playing against QB's that throw the ball like they are playing in their back yards with their children.

Serious answer since you asked a question/ made a very good point.

Did he have critical drops the past two seasons..A few..Was he clutch...Yes.

If he drops the same balls in Pittsburgh he will get fucking crucified.

He catches the ball weird...He goes diamond to catch the ball at times which he is brutally bad at.

Spread your fingers apart on both hands so they’re completely stretched out. With your palms facing outward, touch the tips of your two pointer fingers together and the tips of your thumbs together. This will create a diamond shape between your two hands

He is most comfortable as a body catcher...Does he have good hands I would say no. Will he ever have good hands...I say no. Does ODB have good hands...I say no. They have similar issues. Neither likes to be hit. The thing that separates Edelman /Ward/Doug Baldwin from Johnson and ODB is not skill speed or work ethic...Edelman/Ward/Baldwin/ are fucking fearless. Heart and guts...Machismo. Whatever you want to call it. The willingness to get knocked the fuck out to make a play is leaving football...Rules and willingness are the culprits. Johnson has Get the fuck away speed and quickness. It can't be timed or measured. He gets the ball in his hands and he can make people miss...He doesn't get caught often. He is talented. I am not claiming he is a bum. I am not claiming he is soft.

What I am claiming.

Right now he is not a good route runner...He needs work. All college receivers do. Does he need more than most. Nope.
He has fundamental issues as a receiver...Catching the ball. Hand placement. Attacking the ball. Blocking. He will improve in these areas if he works. He has the talent to be a super route runner. The Steelers can scheme his routes(Like they did with AB) where he can have space to get down and safe when making plays in between the hashes.

As a returner if it translates to the NFL he has stunning abilities...I am not sure if he is advanced enough as a receiver to get a hat. Hence I have Switzer as the returner...If Johnson takes to coaching he will take his touches at least in the return game

Johnson was FANTASTIC against Miami. He was a 1 man band. 2 Rec touchdowns. Almost busted a kick return went around 50 yards. Looked like a 1st round pick and a superstar

The NIU game was real bad. Shitty weather a few drops he had around 10 total touches for 60 yards including returns. Sutton Smith scored in the game. He looked like a UDFA.

At times when watching Toledo I could not tell you who the best receiver was on the team...Cody Thompson and Jon'Vea Johnson also made plays.

Remove the S from the https when you "paste" the link in for a youtube video.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:14 pm 

The NIU game is tough to watch (aside from the fact Sutton Smith is blowing a lot of shit up which is comforting).

Johnson reminds me of Manny Sanders. I don't see the terrible hands others are seeing. He looks very smooth and has nice change of direction. However, he doesn't appear as blazing fast as some believe him to be. He looks crafty and capable of big plays, but he's not a burner...or at least he won't be against NFL secondaries.

I do worry about his toughness. FC nailed it. How willing is he to take a tough hit in the middle? He's very soft as a blocker and seems to avoid contact so I have my concerns with him making tough catches. We'll have to see.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:02 pm 

The other side of the "willing to take a hit" coin is that by his third year in the NFL, he may not be allowed to be hit over the middle. It's less of a concern than it used to be, and I don't think he's the WR version of Artie Burns or anything.