It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Has The "At Game" Atmosphere Been Lost?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am 

It's only going to get worse. They eventually will legislate tailgating out of the experience, ban cooking and drinking in the lots and force you into some tent where you'll have to wait a half hour in line for $10 beers (limit 2) and $15 crappy sandwiches or stale Nachos. You see they are super pissed that people have those tailgate parties and all they get out of it is the parking fee! They don't want you to bring your own stuff, so they will use the excuse that they want to stop excess drinking and end tailgates, as we know them forever! At that point, I am done with attending in person, it won't be fun anymore, just a hassle, being herded from one place to the other where at each stop they'll put a vacuum into your wallet to siphon out your cash.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 am 

Steelersfan8407 wrote:
Tailgating is still allowed. There are some parking lots that don't permit it but there are still lots that allow it. Problem is there are too many pre-sold lots now then ever before where most people come 2 hours before kick-off.

Tailgating is still allowed, I just believe PC-ness will eventually end it! Can't have people drinking and potentially driving and especially have fun where the surrounding businesses don't get a huge cut of your wallet. I mean you can still go down their with a cheap 30 pack of beer and a few sammiches, spend $40 at the G'int Iggle for food and get away with a good time for 4 people if you want, you know they hate that! People having fun on their space and not losing a lot of their money? Hell no!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:28 am 

Another thing, if you decide you wanna park in a lot actually near the stadium, it's like 50 fucking bucks, minimum. F that. When I go, I park across the Clemente Bridge and pay 15. Or when my friend lived in Mt Washington. We'd pay the 2 or 3 bucks to take the train down. In both instances, we wouldn't tailgate. We'd go to one of the bars and drink $3 or $4 pounders. Not much fun in tailgaiting a half a mile from the field by yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 am 
I have a friend who has a lot of connections for tickets. I routinely get offered free or greatly reduced priced tickets. Always turn them down. That even includes playoff tickets.

The stadium experience is dead to me. I've lost enough interest in the league overall that I don't consider the "Hey, I was there!" factor to be a big enough novelty.

And, as others have said, the in game atmosphere sucks. Too many TV timeouts. Too many flags. Too boring. I don't even like baseball, but I'd go to a baseball game before a football game. Honestly, I feel like there's just as much down time at a football game as there is at a baseball game anymore. But at least PNC Park has a better view, and typically has better weather to enjoy the game.

My friends and I do typically have a tailgate for the home Steelers/Bengals game (two of them are big Bengal fans). So I do still enjoy tailgating. But even then, we've all begun going to the bars instead of the game. We have way more fun and for far less money.

Although, that tailgate likely won't happen this year as the game was scheduled around Christmas (and in December for the 5th FUCKING year in a row. Seriously, if this game were ever scheduled in the warm weather, we'd probably have 40 people show up. But since it's been 15 degrees for the past two years, we get fewer and fewer people. Yes, I'm bitter).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 am 

Playoff game atmospheres are great. I would go to them in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:59 am 

Nick79 wrote:
It's only going to get worse. They eventually will legislate tailgating out of the experience, ban cooking and drinking in the lots and force you into some tent where you'll have to wait a half hour in line for $10 beers (limit 2) and $15 crappy sandwiches or stale Nachos. You see they are super pissed that people have those tailgate parties and all they get out of it is the parking fee! They don't want you to bring your own stuff, so they will use the excuse that they want to stop excess drinking and end tailgates, as we know them forever! At that point, I am done with attending in person, it won't be fun anymore, just a hassle, being herded from one place to the other where at each stop they'll put a vacuum into your wallet to siphon out your cash.

That almost sounds like a fair trade to me. But if or when they decide this they better get rid of the $55+ parking fees. If they think they can force people to keep paying those super ridiculous parking fees and still have to purchase and consume their stadium stuff no one will be going to "live" action anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:07 am 

Ive been to one Steeler game in Heinz and it was the best sports experience of my life.

But I have gone to other stadiums to see the Steelers play Candlestick (blackout game), Jax, Tampa, going to one here in Atlanta and its not the same. There are a lot of Steelers fans which is cool but the nickel and diming just makes the experience too expensive for the value. After you pay 100+ bucks for a ticket, 30 bucks to park, 50 bucks on food, youre already 280 deep. And if the game is a blowout or a slop fest you dont have the option to turn the channel and come back and monitor the game. At home you can control the environment and make it your own tradition- we grill in a 10 foot smoker starting on Saturday. Sometimes I even tape the game go do something for an hour then come back and watch it without commercials and usually I run out of tape and can watch the last 5 minutes of a game live.

Playoff games are different.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:33 am 

As a long-time season ticket-holder, I've got just the opposite viewpoint. I suppose it's just ingrained in me, but there's no place I'd rather be on Sunday's than over in Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. I've been to over 100 games in the last 10-12 years and god willing, hopefully another hundred over the next decade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:38 am 

Steelafan77 wrote:
Nick79 wrote:

That almost sounds like a fair trade to me. But if or when they decide this they better get rid of the $55+ parking fees. If they think they can force people to keep paying those super ridiculous parking fees and still have to purchase and consume their stadium stuff no one will be going to "live" action anymore.

Of course they won't lower the parking fee, they'll raise it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:43 am 

I won't lose a second of sleep over it either. If you're that intent on going to a stadium where fights break out, cars are broken into, you're raped by exorbitant pricing and you have to deal with rude and selfish trouble making douches than your deserving of everything you endure. I'll stay at home in the comfort of my own home and have just as good if not better experience at a fraction of the cost and zero inconveniences.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 am 

dd131005 wrote:
As a long-time season ticket-holder, I've got just the opposite viewpoint. I suppose it's just ingrained in me, but there's no place I'd rather be on Sunday's than over in Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. I've been to over 100 games in the last 10-12 years and god willing, hopefully another hundred over the next decade.

You're very fortunate. You live within a tolerable traveling distance of the Steelers stadium. I have to see them as visitors where I'm at. That plays a lot into my view point. Fuck the bay area. The arm pit of Califukinya.