It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Will Shazier play two games in a row this season?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:17 am 

This thread is the equivalent of a Ben needs to look like Brady Quinn to be better thread.

How often has Troy been injured?

How often was Woodley?

If only those guys were thicker. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am 

You can tell it was a while back because Shazier still has eyebrows.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:01 pm 

I don't think his size should be the question right now. At this point in the season, how much more time can he miss and still be a contributor? It seems like Williams and Spence are doing a decent job. Him coming in and out and taking first team reps from them in practice might start to become a problem with the limited practice time the teams have these days. Jones coming back and taking reps from James is no big deal. For Spence and Williams, the practice time is a lot more important.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm 

There was no need for the ribs photo as in the selfie he is just as tiny. He looks like 210-215. He didn't run the 40 when he weighed 235 at the combine and I'll bet he hasn't been over 225 since the day after the combine. Creatine, carb loading, and forced drinking are completely legal and a good way to add 15-20 lbs and a few bench reps.

We aren't talking about a QB or a guy in the last third of his career. We are talking about a guy that plays in the middle of the mess and didn't make it through the second day of NFL hitting before being sidelined for two weeks. This is his third time to the bench with an injury eight games into his career. He is either extremely fragile or there was a reason Tomlin described the first injury as a "boo boo".

I'll say this much for him, he has looked OK for a rookie when he has been healthy but nothing more then OK and that forty time does not come close to representing his speed on the field. Meanwhile Mosely is third in the NFL in tackles, is leading LBs in INTs and PDs, and looks to be walking away with defensive rookie of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:28 pm 

So far this looks like a year where the board emotions on draft day might be right. Majority of the board loved the 2nd and 4th picks and they both look like studs. First and third left most of us disappointed and they've been duds. Hopefully those two guys turn it around and the two studs continue to grow. That would make it the best draft we've had in quite some time.

Howard Griffith had to resort to chop-blocking him during the 1997 AFC Championship Game. An incredulous Kirkland asked “Why do you have to use cheap tactics like chop-blocking?” Griffith replied by asking, “Why do you have to be a 300-pound linebacker?”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:34 pm 

Welcome back, Zivco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:37 pm 

Steelafan77 wrote:
That's kinda unfair and misleading back. Timmons has been in an NFL training regiment for what 8 season's? Shazier is in his rookie year. Try and find a rookie picture of Timmons and then make the comparison. Or just compare Mosley with Shazier at this point in their careers.

I believe Shazier is going to be a really good LB'er if not elite. He needs some seasoning in the NFL for at least a couple years. This being his first year exposed to the NFL life I'm still in wait and see mode. JMO

Notice the shorts Timmons is wearing? Those are FSU shorts...that pic was taken while he was in college. I don't think anyone could disagree that coming into the NFL Timmons was much more sturdily built than Shazier.

And Timmons' injury history in his 8 years or so has been very good. He has been durable.

This is what mediocrity looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:39 pm 

No it wasn't. Timmons posted that pic a couple of years ago on Twitter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:41 pm 

Luca Brasi wrote:
No it wasn't. Timmons posted that pic a couple of years ago on Twitter.

He may have posted or reposted it a few years ago, but does that mean it was taken at that time? I don't think so, but open to seeing proof it was taken while he was in the NFL.

This is what mediocrity looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:41 pm 

No I did not. Missed them. Doesn't change my perception. Not trying to be argumentative either. I admit it is concerning that Shazier seems very unlucky with the lower body injuries. Definitely something to keep an eye on. I still believe a couple years in an NFL training routine will resolve any of these early concerns. JMO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next