It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:49 pm 

As much as I want to see Ben throw for 4500 yards, I want us to get back to an efficient and productive running team.

Scoring quick is great....but methodical drives where you run at will on an opponent is far superior an option IMO.

At WR we have a superstar in AB. LM should be an adequate replacement for ES. Heath isn't getting any younger but still is a solid option.

I expect with Munchak and a little luck w injuries that this offensive line gels and becomes a solid group. Bell and Blount are very capable.

I see us as a very balanced offense in 2014. And that will be predicated by a strong running game.

Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:51 pm 

Run Run Try to get 3rd and 14 and then punt is not the direction I would like for the offense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
As much as I want to see Ben throw for 4500 yards, I want us to get back to an efficient and productive running team.

Scoring quick is great....but methodical drives where you run at will on an opponent is far superior an option IMO.

At WR we have a superstar in AB. LM should be an adequate replacement for ES. Heath isn't getting any younger but still is a solid option.

I expect with Munchak and a little luck w injuries that this offensive line gels and becomes a solid group. Bell and Blount are very capable.

I see us as a very balanced offense in 2014. And that will be predicated by a strong running game.

I'm on board with this. Need some semblance of balance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:54 pm 

EFCE wrote:
Run Run Try to get 3rd and 14 and then punt is not the direction I would like for the offense.

Run Run Pass Punt is not what I am hoping for....

I like 4-5 yards on first down running plays leaving 2nd down with solid options.

1st and 10 2 yard rushing gains don't excite me either.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:56 pm 

EFCE wrote:

Not much difference between that and....
Pass incomplete Pass drop then 3rd and long then punt... Do what works and will get you the most out of your matchup... If its run then run if its pass then pass.

Last edited by Jackie Chiles on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:07 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:
EFCE wrote:

Run Run Pass Punt is not what I am hoping for....

I like 4-5 yards on first down running plays leaving 2nd down with solid options.

1st and 10 2 yard rushing gains don't excite me either.

To consistently get 4-5 yards on a first down run we need an above average OL. That is yet to be seen. There is no denying all the rules changes in the past few years have made passing easier though.

This is what mediocrity looks like.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:08 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

Also, this is basically Nick79 bait :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 pm 

Don't take the bait, Nick!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

This is the NFL, not college football where a team like Alabama can "run at will" against its opponent. Parity is high, and the Steelers don't have elite personnel to run at will. The Steelers would be wise to modify their attack according to their opponent's defensive weakness. Adapt to the situation. No more beat your head against the wall, run at all costs, 'pawnd da rock' idiocy, please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:26 pm 

YINZER ROCK POUNDING ORGASM!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:29 pm 

SteelBack wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

This is the NFL, not college football where a team like Alabama can "run at will" against its opponent. Parity is high, and the Steelers don't have elite personnel to run at will. The Steelers would be wise to modify their attack according to their opponent's defensive weakness. Adapt to the situation. No more beat your head against the wall, run at all costs, 'pawnd da rock' idiocy, please.

Ok, run at will wasn't necessarily the best way to put it. Just want and expect more efficient rushing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:34 pm 

SteelBack wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:

we spent 5 of our top 8 picks (1st and 2nd rounders) from 2010 to 2013 on oline/rb. We damn well better have appropriate personnel to run the ball this fall.*

And while you are right that 'bama style run whenever you wnat football won't work in the nfl, if we do it right we should be able to beat a good chunk of our schedule on the ground. The other teams will start trying to cheat into the box, and then you throw.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:39 pm 

mick wrote:
we spent 5 of our top 8 picks (1st and 2nd rounders) from 2010 to 2013 on oline/rb. We damn well better have appropriate personnel to run the ball this fall.*

Yes, we've invested a lot in OL/RB and yet have little to show for it. We're still one of the worst rushing teams in the league. If this doesn't improve heads need to roll, namely those guys who a) evaluated the talent of these draft picks or b) are responsible for their coaching/development as a member of the Steelers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:52 pm 

Quote:
Just want and expect more efficient rushing.

So do I. Every Steelers fan does

The best way for that to happen is teams cannot play 8+ men in the box.

Beachum is a poor run blocker at LT...Arm length just limits him. He is a above average in pass pro
Foster is good when fresh very mediocre when winded in the run game...Same thing can be said for pass pro
Pouncey movement skills gives the team many options in the run game...His inability to anchor is troublesome
Decastro is a stud in the run game...He continues to improve as a pass blocker
RT is a cluster fuck...I hope Adams wins the job.

The Steelers run game has been limited because the offensive line play has been pretty soft the past 3 years.

Todd Fucking Haley doesn't help things

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:30 pm 

SteelBack wrote:
mick wrote:

Yes, we've invested a lot in OL/RB and yet have little to show for it. We're still one of the worst rushing teams in the league. If this doesn't improve heads need to roll, namely those guys who a) evaluated the talent of these draft picks or b) are responsible for their coaching/development as a member of the Steelers.
on paper, given our healthy personnel we should have sucked at running the ball last season. And then we did, especially early.

At the same time, on paper we should be pretty good at it this year.* And over the past decade, we've usually been about as good as our personnel looked capable of supporting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:35 pm 

EFCE wrote:

No, not a good idea. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:37 pm 

BarryFoster wrote:

What's your hope for 1st down passing plays? Any desire to see at least some of those? Maybe if you complete a 7 yard pass on 1st down, you can run on 2nd and 3rd if you want, there's some options.

Last edited by Nick79 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:41 pm 

mick wrote:
And while you are right that 'bama style run whenever you wnat football won't work in the nfl, if we do it right we should be able to beat a good chunk of our schedule on the ground. The other teams will start trying to cheat into the box, and then you throw.

Just as long as you don't mean "throw only when you need to", you should want to throw, not just throw when the run isn't happening for you. What if you could run like 'Bama and not need to throw at all? Would you like that? The down side to that is, when you do run into a team good against the run, maybe you aren't proficient enough at passing because you haven't had enough reps throwing the ball.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:44 pm 

This thing is going 40+ pages...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:45 pm 

The age old debate. I dont care what PS do on offense as long as it produces points.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:50 pm 

I want to be multiple, and successful.

Running the ball wins the division. Throwing it wins the Superbowl.

I want to run over small teams, and throw over the top of slow teams.

I want every opponent to have to bring their A-game to stop the Steeler offense

I want every team to not have a single clue of what playcall is coming next

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:51 pm 

steelclan wrote:
The age old debate. I dont care what PS do on offense as long as it produces points.

Yes. The goal is to score as many points as possible. Believe it or not, that point is still up for debate. There are those we shall call the "clock burners".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:59 pm 

Y-Town Steel wrote:
This thing is going 40+ pages...

That's OK, the message board is lookin pretty light :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:02 pm 

Nick79 wrote:
mick wrote:

Just as long as you don't mean "throw only when you need to", you should want to throw, not just throw when the run isn't happening for you. What if you could run like 'Bama and not need to throw at all? Would you like that? The down side to that is, when you do run into a team good against the run, maybe you aren't proficient enough at passing because you haven't had enough reps throwing the ball.
I'm certainly not against passing, but yes, if we could 'Bama our way through the league I'd love every minute of it.

And I think fans tend to overrate "in game experience" ('of course he sucks, you stupid coach, because you never let him play!'). Yes, it matters somewhat, especially in the trenches given how few pads practices teams are allowed. But probably 90% or more of player development happens between offseason, camp, and practices.

Any advantage you get from extra in-game reps I'd expect to be more than offset by other teams learning your plays off of tape instead of during games and by risking QB injury.

Anyway, it's not that I want a team that runs. It's that I look at this roster, and see a team that is built to win with a strong run game. Looks a lot like the '05 offense to me, good run blocking OC and OG, Miller, Ben, stud #1 WR, pretty good backfield and some other guys filling around them. And Ben didn't have an overabundance of regular season in-game passing reps to prepare him for the postseason in '05.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:06 pm 

SteelBack wrote:
steelclan wrote:

Yes. The goal is to score as many points as possible. Believe it or not, that point is still up for debate. There are those we shall call the "clock burners".

There's nothing wrong with burning the clock, the problem comes when you decide to burn it too early or for the whole 60 minutes. Not saying they do, but there are times you can argue legitimately that they are burning clock when they should still be thinking about scoring some more.

I guess IMO you should not have an overall game strategy of shortening "EVERY" game you are in. It should depend on who you are playing..What if you are playing against a crappy team, like Jacksonville or Cleveland of recent years, teams with little threat to score and bad defenses to boot, why would you want to "keep it away" from those offenses? Or "keep it close" against those teams, when you know you could kick their ass if you purposely made it a track meet?