It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:39 pm 

SteelerDog wrote:
sgtrobo wrote:
so I did a search.

37 times an NFL team has broken 600 rushing attempts in a season.

out of those 37 team seasons, 32 of them were winning teams, and 3 more were at least 7-9

only the 81 Bears and 78 Chiefs were worse than 7-9

combined record: 388-181-1

how many won championships??

And what years where those 37? It would be interesting to know that too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:20 am 

SteelerDog wrote:
Sir Lambert wrote:
Which is the cause and which is the effect? Do the running attempts cause the win, or does having the lead cause the running attempts?

having the lead causes rushing attempts usually........thats why the yinzer rock pounding orgasm mentality is such a vast failure.....they want to run most of the time......regardless of the situation......except when we are down large late......then the qb and wrs are supposed to flip a switch and flawlessly work miracles against prevent Ds

this is really the point

the reverse is true, too you can win with a high powered offense that exploits matchups-- until you come up against a team that takes that away or until you have to run the football to shorten the game and protect your lead against a worthy opponent... that was IC's point about Dallas.

I think the run game is something you have to have 100% confidence in-- and keep it in your pocket. Like a finishing tool or perhaps a gun you never want to take out unless it's time to use it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:48 am 

It's not only that, but when you're locked in a field position grudge match every yard counts and often times whoever makes the first mistake (I.e. turnover) wins

That's about having a feel for how the game is unfolding

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:31 am 

Iron_City wrote:
It's not only that, but when you're locked in a field position grudge match every yard counts and often times whoever makes the first mistake (I.e. turnover) wins

That's about having a feel for how the game is unfolding

unless you plan it ahead of time e.g.: the Baltimore game last year where the plan going in was to survive a filed position grudge match, before one presented itself-- and then slow to react to the shootout that was unfolding and self-limiting opportunities to recover. That was the worst game of Mike Tomlin's career, bar none. P.S.: we planned that field position game of attrition knowing we had possibly the worst punt game in the NFL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:45 am 

Balance

To attain a balanced offense the running game needs to improve

Never said I wanted run first

Simply wanted to see an improved running game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:46 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Balance

Agenda colors perception and this gets in the way of reading comprehension. Or even reading the whole post, I would wager.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 am 

Still Lit wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Balance

Agenda colors perception and this gets in the way of reading comprehension. Or even reading the whole post, I would wager.

Agree.

My only "agenda" is to see improved run blocking, better efficiency in the running game, resulting in more YPC.

I don't want to run it down the defense's throat, I just want more balance on offense.

Do you personally feel I have an agenda or are you generalizing the perceptions of threads like this?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:51 am 

BarryFoster wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Balance

Agree.

My only "agenda" is to see improved run blocking, better efficiency in the running game, resulting in more YPC.

I don't want to run it down the defense's throat, I just want more balance on offense.

Do you personally feel I have an agenda or are you generalizing the perceptions of threads like this?

Oh, I agree with you.

Everyone has an opinion. But not everyone's opinion is accompanied by tunnel vision and an accompanying inability to actually think about what someone else has posted.

All you had to do in your OP was say that you wanted a forceful running attack and my guess is that was enough to cause certain posters to stop reading and assume you wanted to do nothing but run. That's my take. The trail of ensuing comments was hilarious.

OP: "We need to run better so the passing game will better flourish and so the offense won't be as predictable and will have more ways to win."

Certain responders, Run Reactionaries, see the word 'run' in OP: "Look, it's another rock pounding yinzer advocate."

OP defenders: "That's not what the OP says, and there are good reasons to agree with him, such as X, Y, Z."

Run reactionaries: "No, I saw the world 'run' in the OP. It means we should make Ben a hand off monkey and chew clock."

And it goes on for 12 pages.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:38 pm 

sgtrobo wrote:
so I did a search.

37 times an NFL team has broken 600 rushing attempts in a season.

out of those 37 team seasons, 32 of them were winning teams, and 3 more were at least 7-9

only the 81 Bears and 78 Chiefs were worse than 7-9

combined record: 388-181-1

Lol that's evil

Jax wrote:
It ain't going to be pretty, but the Steelers aren't about pretty are they? I'll take 11 ugly wins and a spot in the playoffs...Get your antacid of choice ready and enjoy that shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:40 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
BarryFoster wrote:
Balance

Reading period, it's amazing the conclusions that come from what people think they read. I think that first sentence is going in my sig.

Jax wrote:
It ain't going to be pretty, but the Steelers aren't about pretty are they? I'll take 11 ugly wins and a spot in the playoffs...Get your antacid of choice ready and enjoy that shit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11