It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:58 pm
Posts: 5769
Quote:
From memory, post the names of those on the board who advocate being a run first team.

Let's see...
Tim, Todd, Ron, Blitz, Naelae, Steigerwald, Bouchette, Pompeani, Hoge, Bettis, Woodson, Cowher, Tunch, Wolf....
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
"They're standing around, Butz!" - Kevin O'Shea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3297
Still Lit wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
What about the guy that started this thread? Seems to be looking for run 1st. And of course my personal anti-Christ, Stillers4Tim :lol:


Nick, Nick, Nick...

BarryFoster wrote:
I see us as a very balanced offense in 2014. And that will be predicated by a strong running game.


Now click the link in homage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LHJVpizxY&feature=kp


"predicated by a strong running game. "

What does that mean? Does it mean we must open every game intent on establishing the run 1st every time? Or can we decide the opponent can be had in the air, so we come out throwing trying to score quick. I as an advocate of a "balance" think that balance means that you can do both and sometimes doing both means you go pass 1st some games depending on what you think might be the best option based on opponent and circumstances.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 7983
Nick79 wrote:
Still Lit wrote:
Nick79 wrote:
What about the guy that started this thread? Seems to be looking for run 1st. And of course my personal anti-Christ, Stillers4Tim :lol:


Nick, Nick, Nick...

BarryFoster wrote:
I see us as a very balanced offense in 2014. And that will be predicated by a strong running game.


Now click the link in homage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1LHJVpizxY&feature=kp


"predicated by a strong running game. "

What does that mean? Does it mean we must open every game intent on establishing the run 1st every time? Or can we decide the opponent can be had in the air, so we come out throwing trying to score quick. I as an advocate of a "balance" think that balance means that you can do both and sometimes doing both means you go pass 1st some games depending on what you think might be the best option based on opponent and circumstances.


Whatever Nick, I'm not indulging your BS. Stop looking for disputes where there are none.

Edit:
Although, I'll add this for, though I can't speak for Barry, but "predicated" would mean that a strong passing game is dependent on being able to run the ball well. If you want to dispute the need for a strong running attack to be able to throw the ball well, take it up with others. I'm not indulging it.

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Last edited by Still Lit on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:20 am
Posts: 3297
You have to have both, I'll end with that. You can't put a priority of one over the other. You can't have a Cowher team with the Bus, great defense and pray Kordell doesn't make mistakes. To be a champion, you need to do EVERYTHING well, no matter what % you do each, or at least competently. If you're going to run 60% of the time, just make sure it's not because you can't pass and vise versa.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 7983
Nick79 wrote:
You have to have both, I'll end with that. You can't put a priority of one over the other. You can't have a Cowher team with the Bus, great defense and pray Kordell doesn't make mistakes. To be a champion, you need to do EVERYTHING well or at least competently.


+1

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:29 am 
If not for the WR screen I would predict a franchise record for rush attempts in the coming season. Consider Munch, Blount, Haley's recent comments and this from 2 years ago-

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/can-the-steelers-fix-their-running-game/


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:19 am
Posts: 7983
Zivco wrote:
If not for the WR screen I would predict a franchise record for rush attempts in the coming season. Consider Munch, Blount, Haley's recent comments and this from 2 years ago-

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/can-the-steelers-fix-their-running-game/


*cums*

_________________
Frank Sinatra, Jr. 'Black Night'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdwl7X6Jruo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:26 pm
Posts: 3329
Cowboys lost a 25 pt half time lead to Green Bay last year because they wouldn't run the ball in the 2nd half

_________________
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 567
so I did a search.

37 times an NFL team has broken 600 rushing attempts in a season.

out of those 37 team seasons, 32 of them were winning teams, and 3 more were at least 7-9

only the 81 Bears and 78 Chiefs were worse than 7-9

combined record: 388-181-1

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Pound the Rock
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:36 pm
Posts: 129
Which is the cause and which is the effect? Do the running attempts cause the win, or does having the lead cause the running attempts?

_________________
Man, come on, I had a rough night and I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], green50, JackSplat58, Old School Steeler, Rod & Wire Mill, Steelcody36, StillerInCT and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
FORUM RULES --- PRIVACY POLICY




Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group