It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GIFs from last season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 am 

I intend this thread to support individual play gifs from last season, as well as associated discussion. Not highlight reel stuff, mostly just trench play that doesn't give you any stats to look up.

first play, as posted on btsc.
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/st ... es-in-2014

play is steeler's dime (troy as ilb) against a 3 WR run play. Troy and shamarko are DBs pretending to be front 7 players here. And the thing that really jumps out...our DBs do a much better impression of front 7 play than a couple of our front 7 guys do on this play. Worilds was notably terrible against the run early in his career. I didn't notice that last season, but in this play he makes it clear that he is not a part of the solution to our run D woes. The other culprit is Keisel, who comes off as an utter scrub here. I'm probably one of the biggest anti-rookie guys here, but I think Tuitt will be an upgrade to Keisel this fall

Post subject: Re: GIFs from last season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:05 pm 

mick wrote:
Worilds was notably terrible against the run early in his career. I didn't notice that last season, but in this play he makes it clear that he is not a part of the solution to our run D woes. The other culprit is Keisel, who comes off as an utter scrub here. I'm probably one of the biggest anti-rookie guys here, but I think Tuitt will be an upgrade to Keisel this fall

FC wrote:
Keisel may be washed up.

Harrison would start over either OLB for the Steelers most likely.

Worilds is softer than baby shit and Jarvis Jones lets just say I am not overly impressed so far.

:shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:59 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
mick wrote:
Worilds was notably terrible against the run early in his career. I didn't notice that last season, but in this play he makes it clear that he is not a part of the solution to our run D woes. The other culprit is Keisel, who comes off as an utter scrub here. I'm probably one of the biggest anti-rookie guys here, but I think Tuitt will be an upgrade to Keisel this fall

FC wrote:
Keisel may be washed up.

Harrison would start over either OLB for the Steelers most likely.

Worilds is softer than baby shit and Jarvis Jones lets just say I am not overly impressed so far.

:shock:
can't really disagree with his take. worilds is relevant as a pass rusher, so he is on the field against 3 WR even with tape like this. if jones is poor in coverage, ineffective rushing the passer, and soft against the run, it's going to be hard to find a reason to put him on the field. honestly, I'm probably fine with base nickel against the run if troy and sham are dbs and we have a sturdier big out there than keisel was for us last season.

worilds / tuitt / mclendon / heyward
shazier / Timmons
allen / Thomas / troy / gay
Mitchell?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:03 am 

I love Brett Kiesel...I've never been overly impressed with his play, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am 

One play does not a player make.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:29 am 

Steel Mike wrote:

If that player is Jarvis Jones, then, yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:30 am 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Steel Mike wrote:

If that player is Jarvis Jones, then, yes.

Obviously.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 pm 

Steel Mike wrote:

Which is why the intent of this thread is for multiple plays to get posted. As it is, worilds and keisel are the worst run defenders ever and shamwow is basically ray lewis 2.0.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 pm 

mick wrote:
Steel Mike wrote:

Which is why the intent of this thread is for multiple plays to get posted. As it is, worilds and keisel are the worst run defenders ever and shamwow is basically ray lewis 2.0.

Oh I understand, just being a smart ass.

I love this type of stuff, and I'll try and scour in the internet to see if I can contribute anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:24 pm 
I don't even browse that board because of how ridiculous it is. One thing to be a homer, another thing to be stupid.

As the Mick stated it's dime personnel, not nickel.against 3 WR. It's more big on small stupidity.

We are playing run all the way and if it's play action the WR on the left has a big gain. It's really a 4-3, cover 3 look with Heyward and Kiesal at DT, Woirlds and Woodley at DE, with Thomas, TP, and Timmons at LB. If Dallas Clark simply locks out and takes Thomas where he wants to go...something 90% of NFL TE's would be able to do...that's a big gain. Kiesal doesn't do a bad job here...that run is outside his gap responsibility and he does a decent job of slowing the G up on the way to block TP while engaging the C's reach attempt...if that G is a half step earlier TP doesn't get under him and the play goes off tackle for a big gain. I'm sure that G was humiliated in the film room because he should have annihilated TP here anyway. I'm not certain, but I'm guessing Woirlds responsibility is to turn the play back inside and he does that...he reads the run and let's the TE release...I don't think he should have got so far up field and he can't let the OT have the whole left side of his body...my guess is he should have held ground and engaged the OT rather then dip and penetrate.

I'm fairly certain this is the same D look Miami jammed the ball down our throat on a few times...C might have charlied around the G to take out TP for the fish...might have been someone beside Thomas in the SOLB role.