It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steelers 2nd round pick - Senquez Golson - CB - Mississi
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:41 pm 

COR-TEN wrote:
Stallworth16 wrote:
A couple of days after the draft, I don't hate the Golson pick but I don't really like it either. The guy I would have chosen in the 2nd is PJ Williams who has ideal size and plenty of ability. PJ was taken by the Saints in the 3rd round. His brush with the law is a blip, imo. You can put PJ on a 6'5" reciever with confidence and we already have 5'9" Blake. Golson is a tiny ball-hawk, and hopefully he proves his worth covering tall WRs, because even in the slot he will have to.

As someone mentioned, the likes of AJ Green, Dez Bryant, or megatron are going to beat a 6'-0" corner all day anyway. Will three inches make much of a difference?

How many decent 6'4" corners are there?

Well PJ Williams has a 41 inch vertical verses Golson 34 inch vertical. Plus PJ's arms are 2 inches longer. So those combined with height can make a difference against taller WRs.

It remains to be seen which corner is a better Pro, and I do like Golson, but I would have chosen PJ at that spot in the 2nd round.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:51 pm 

Are we the only fan base obsessed with the height of our WR's and DB's, or is that a cross NFL phenomenon?

Serious question. On how many plays will the difference between a 5-8 and 6-0 foot corner really matter? Is it just a couple times a season or is it a couple times per game?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:37 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Are we the only fan base obsessed with the height of our WR's and DB's, or is that a cross NFL phenomenon?

Serious question. On how many plays will the difference between a 5-8 and 6-0 foot corner really matter? Is it just a couple times a season or is it a couple times per game?

Well I'll put this question to you. You get to choose our 2nd round pick. Do you take Senquez Golson or PJ Williams?

I want the Steelers to win another Super Bowl. So I am damn sure rooting for Golson to be an all-pro. But that doesn't man I would've have taken him in the 2nd round over PJ.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:13 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

Well I'll put this question to you. You get to choose our 2nd round pick. Do you take Senquez Golson or PJ Williams?

I want the Steelers to win another Super Bowl. So I am damn sure rooting for Golson to be an all-pro. But that doesn't man I would've have taken him in the 2nd round over PJ.

Golson

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:23 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
Golson

Fair enough. I'm taking PJ. I hope I'm wrong and Golson is the better player. But yeah I feel better about PJ covering monsters.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:26 pm 

Stallworth16 wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:
Golson

Fair enough. I'm taking PJ. I hope I'm wrong and Golson is the better player. But yeah I feel better about PJ covering monsters.

Not a bad call.

If i'm a QB in the RZ i might salivate at seeing a 5'8" corner. At the same time I might be a little wary of testing a corner with mad ball skills.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:28 pm 

If he changes his name to Sam he'll be fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:42 pm 

If he'd changed his name to Vernon in January, we could have gotten him as a UDFA.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 pm 

From NFL.com profile of PJ Williams.

"I think his best position will end up being safety. He's strong enough as a tackler to make the move and his cover skills are what most teams are looking for from safeties now. He would be the second safety off the board if you project him there." - NFC general manager "Can't run. The more I watch him, the more limited I realize he's going to be." - NFC defensive backs coach

Tall doesn't help when your chasing.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:06 pm 

mick wrote:
Can someone please tell me about some good recent 5'8" cb draft picks

I don't want to be a hater.

I don't have the energy to scan through this thread to see if anyone has answered this question, but here you go:

Antoine Winfield: 5'8", 176
Tim Jennings: 5'8", 185
Brent Grimes: 5'9", 177
Brandon Flowers: 5'9", 187
Chris Harris: 5'9", 194

All of these guys made a Pro Bowl as recently as 2012.

There are a ton of guys in the 5'10" - 5'11" range as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next