It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on our RBs?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:21 pm 

where the change of pace back? there isn't one

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 pm 

There's a lot of time before Johnny Football comes to town. Adding a change of pace back shouldn't be overly difficult a true need presents itself. Rosters are bloated right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:08 pm 

I think that Archers position flexibility allows you to save that 3RB designation for someone else. Archer is the KR/PR (right now) and will contribute as a RB or a WR. I can see him in the slot as the 4th or motioned into the backfield (a la Bush or Sproles) depending on who (S, LB, CB) they want to put on him.

What the Saints did with Bush was they identified the match up and put him in the spot that was hardest to defend. If the defense put a LB on him, they put Bush on the edge as a WR and forced him to cover. If it was a corner then they put him in the backfield and ran him at the corner and the OL just ate up the guy. Having Bush do this pointed out where the blitz was coming from because that coverman could never blitz or they'd pop a hot behind him and Bush would be off for 30 on a hot read. Did the same thing with Sproles, how we do the same thing with Archer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 pm 

I think the Steelers backs are very good.

Bell
Blount
Alexander

Alexander is my surprise he adds a legitimate speed element...Special teams will make or break him

Archer is a scat back/ returner who will be lucky to get 3-5 offensive touches a game

I expect the Steelers have a fullback on the field less than 10% of the time this season...I would not be surprised if the number is closer to 5%.

Haley favors 2 Te's and feels the I formation limits the offense...Not my words his words

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 pm 

Was thinking the roster of backs currently is nothing to shrug at. I think they'll get the job done. If by some luck they're fortunate enough to pick someone up that fell through the cracks as teams begin thinning the herd down then even better. Keep an eye on Eric Waters. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:42 pm 

I like the group alot, dont know much about Alexander. I do know what I saw from Blount in NE is lad brings it and punishes teams in 4th. Bell has all the tools, with exception of break away speed. Most that do dont last or get hurt a bunch aka Peterson. I like lad he has potential to be a better version of Forte. Archers is a nice wild card, even if he only gets touches FC predicts, one of those touches might equate to big play with his speed and vision.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 am 

steelclan wrote:
I like the group alot, dont know much about Alexander. I do know what I saw from Blount in NE is lad brings it and punishes teams in 4th. Bell has all the tools, with exception of break away speed. Most that do dont last or get hurt a bunch aka Peterson. I like lad he has potential to be a better version of Forte. Archers is a nice wild card, even if he only gets touches FC predicts, one of those touches might equate to big play with his speed and vision.

If it were me, with the lead, I would pull Bell midway thru the third. Then I would pound a fresh Blount in there 15 times, throw in some play action to keep,the safeties back and bleed a defense out. Not pretty but if MM is as good as his credentials this OL is going to be asking for that--and delivering.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 am 

Blount is not going to be running into space vs nickel/dime the way he was in NE. Here everything will be packed in. I like him as a back but he may not enjoy the same results here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:00 am 

Archer has to be the change of Pace nack but might be also a nice battle between Alexander,Poole and Mayosynet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:16 am 

Kodiak wrote:
VanWilder wrote:
I think they roll with what they have, barring injury. There's always a Felix Jones waiting for a call during the season.

That's the attitude that created the RB situation the past two years. Archer could easily be a bust, and Blount is only signed for 2-years. If a decent guy gets cut I think they jump at a vet min deal.

Guys like Felix Jones aren't depth. Those guys actually have to be able to contribute if needed. Maybe not a priority, but something they should definitely be on the lookout for...like maybe a young guy they see some potential in that has actual NFL experience. Someone like a Mwelde Moore (back in the day) or even LSH last year.

PIT is going to hope Archer can be their returner, and then they'll EXPERIMENT with him rushing/receiving. Extremely optimistic to think he'll do much or have much impact in that experimental role. That leaves you with just TWO backs worth a damn. They SHOULD be on the lookout for some insurance. That's not Felix Jones, a guy they dumpster dived for and found out was nothing more than unwanted trash.
what constitutes a 'decent guy'?

For me, we add someone if (a) we want a 3rd 'starting' rb to get a gameday helmet or (b) we think one of the randoms on our roster right now is a legit talent that we don't want to risk sneaking through waivers.

I don't think we add a 2014 version of felix jones, cut maybe zumwalt or bryant to make room for him, and then have him stand on the sidelines in sweats each week a la deuce staley.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next