It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on our RBs?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:08 pm 

I'm quite happy with the RB situation. Bell and Blount are different runners - they offer a change of pace even without a significant speed difference.

My hope is that they use the tandem creatively, not just a 2-1-2-1 rotation type of thing . Bell is incredibly valuable as a pass catcher. I'd hate to replace him on 3rd downs because or a rotation with Blount or that SOP is to have a 3rd down back. on 3rd and 3 having him in the lineup forces the D to defend both run and pass.

Blount is a very effective runner on 1st down, especially in 11 formations. If he gets 10 carries a game I'd like to see at least 5 coming in these situations. He'll average 5 per for the season.

Got to say I find it funny that those who think our receivers are too small also think are backs are too big. I guess the argument is that variety is needed, which makes some general kind of sense. Funny nontheless

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:33 pm 

Lifelongsteel wrote:
I'm quite happy with the RB situation. Bell and Blount are different runners - they offer a change of pace even without a significant speed difference.

My hope is that they use the tandem creatively, not just a 2-1-2-1 rotation type of thing . Bell is incredibly valuable as a pass catcher. I'd hate to replace him on 3rd downs because or a rotation with Blount or that SOP is to have a 3rd down back. on 3rd and 3 having him in the lineup forces the D to defend both run and pass.

Blount is a very effective runner on 1st down, especially in 11 formations. If he gets 10 carries a game I'd like to see at least 5 coming in these situations. He'll average 5 per for the season.

Got to say I find it funny that those who think our receivers are too small also think are backs are too big. I guess the argument is that variety is needed, which makes some general kind of sense. Funny nontheless

You and Luca are quality posters here. I'm with you on the level of amusement with some here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:54 pm 

mick wrote:
what constitutes a 'decent guy'?

Well, one example is a guy like Dwyer cut last year. A guy with NFL experience that isn't washed up.

You are looking at it all wrong. You need 2 RB's, just because you can get away with dressing just those 2 doesn't mean you still don't need a back-up if one gets hurt.

That the 3rd back might stand on the sidelines in sweats is a gameday decision. You need 2 guys, which means depth means a 3rd guy. NOBODY plans on rolling with just two capable RB's. No one has done that. NO ONE. I can't believe people are still arguing this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:23 pm 

Still Lit wrote:
Btw OF, try my peaty scotch version of an old fashioned.
1. Muddle (to taste) brown sugar and two black cherries.
2. Add Laphroiag or Ardbeg
3. Couples dashes of the Angustura or, for a real treat, some smoky bitters: http://www.onlybitters.com/bitters-old- ... ters-30ml/
4. Add a giant round ice cube: http://cocktails.about.com/od/mixology/ ... ceball.htm

Put your pinky way out, take a sip, and start feeling like a magnificent bastard.

Lit, sorry I didn't answer you sooner. Thanks much. Will definitely have to try your version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
mick wrote:

Well, one example is a guy like Dwyer cut last year. A guy with NFL experience that isn't washed up.

You are looking at it all wrong. You need 2 RB's, just because you can get away with dressing just those 2 doesn't mean you still don't need a back-up if one gets hurt.

That the 3rd back might stand on the sidelines in sweats is a gameday decision. You need 2 guys, which means depth means a 3rd guy. NOBODY plans on rolling with just two capable RB's. No one has done that. NO ONE. I can't believe people are still arguing this.

and I can't believe we're still over 2 weeks from the start of training camp and your pissing in your panties over the final roster cuts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:07 pm 

Iron_City wrote:
Kodiak wrote:
mick wrote:

and I can't believe we're still over 2 weeks from the start of training camp and your pissing in your panties over the final roster cuts

You're such a surly SOB. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:08 pm 

Iron_City wrote:

LMFAO, how am I pissing my panties? I'm only pointing out PIT needs to find a 3rd RB to back-up Bell and Blount. If people want to convince me otherwise then show me a team that rolls into the season with just 2 capable running backs. It doesn't happen, certainly not by choice.

Heck, just look at last year...PIT went into the year with Jones, Redmen and LSH eventhough Bell was due back in 3-4 weeks. And when LSH got hurt and they cut Redmen, they didn't roll with just two guys they brought back Dwyer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:14 pm 

Kodiak wrote:
Iron_City wrote:

LMFAO, how am I pissing my panties? I'm only pointing out PIT needs to find a 3rd RB to back-up Bell and Blount. If people want to convince me otherwise then show me a team that rolls into the season with just 2 capable running backs. It doesn't happen, certainly not by choice.

Heck, just look at last year...PIT went into the year with Jones, Redmen and LSH eventhough Bell was due back in 3-4 weeks. And when LSH got hurt and they cut Redmen, they didn't roll with just two guys they brought back Dwyer.

Who to say is capable and who isn't? That's the job of a coach. They deemed Dri Archer good enough to draft in the 3rd RD. That's 4 rounds higher than Blount went and only a round lower than Leveon Bell. They obviously feel he's capable of something

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:33 pm 

Obviously wrote:
Lifelongsteel wrote:

You and Luca are quality posters here. I'm with you on the level of amusement with some here.

Likewise my friend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:30 pm 

In watching Blount's highlight film from New England and Tampa Bay I was surprised at his shiftiness and athletic ability for a 250 pounder. I even saw him do Bell's patented hurdling the defender three times which makes me think the Steelers saw that too, and a lightbulb went on and the interest was piqued. Bell is really closer to 225 so naturally he is more nimble, quicker and has better hands, vision and overall game.

I think the Steelers will go into the season with Bell, Blount, Archer and Will Johnson and have a 5th RB on the practice squad. Johnson has been getting more time with the TEs and he will see time at H-Back this year and he himself is a physical specimen, 240 pounder who ran some high 4.4s. If there were an emergency situation in a game, Johnson could come in and play RB. Then after the game you call up your practice squad guy or sign some free agent. It makes no sense to have a 5th RB on the roster who is going to be deactivated each and every game and watch the game from the sidelines in sweats. That 5th RB can be stashed on the practice squad and is the perfect place for him.

Also, people just completely ignore that Blount has versatility. Last season with New England he averaged 29.1 yards on 17 kick returns with a long of 83 yards. That is better than what Dwyer or Felix Jones could ever do. So, you have a RB in Bell who can play all three downs, who can rush for 1200 yards and catch 60 passes in a season. You have a RB in Blount who can rush for 600-700 yards, and be a very effective KR. Archer can be the next Dante Hall/Mel Gray return man and play some 3rd down back. Then you have Will Johnson who can be the FB, H-Back and be an emergency RB.

It looks to me that we have a diverse group of RBs that have the skills to do anything that you may want to accomplish. I am excited for this season because I can't remember a time we had a RB core this deep and talented before. What a difference a year makes...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next