It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steelers ranked #7 in the "Future Power Rankings"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:25 am 
The overview: Pittsburgh moved up seven spots from the past offseason, thanks to gains in the team's outlook at QB (plus-10), on the rest of its roster (plus-7) and in its drafting (plus-6). There's evidence the Steelers have made significant strides in adding youth and speed to their defense, led by first-round pick Ryan Shazier, and that those changes will help the team for years to come. Only the Chargers gained more than the Steelers in the QB rankings. It's something of a surprise to see Ben Roethlisberger gaining ground at age 32, but he did start all 16 games this past season -- the second time he has played every game in a season. And, as KC Joyner pointed out recently, Roethlisberger seems to be making better decisions with the football in recent seasons. The offensive line should be improved in years to come, as well. --Mike Sando

BR hasn't been given an extension. Not a single defensive acquisition has proven anything in the NFL...even Mitchel has all of 8 starts at FS. Same losers on the Oline that were botom fifth rush offense and can't be trusted in pass pro.

The dilemma: Dating back to when I played against them two times a year with the Browns (1993-95), the Steelers have always been known for a "lights-out" style of run defense with excellent outside linebacker play and a secondary that was opportunistic in creating turnovers. In 2013, the defense was nothing like this, which is why names such as DL Stephon Tuitt, OLB Jarvis Jones and FS Mike Mitchell will either make this defense (and team overall) a force to be reckoned with for the foreseeable future or turn out to be failed acquisitions that contributed to this franchise not being able to go where it is accustomed to going: Super Bowls. --Louis Riddick

This I mostly agree with.

The youth movement: The Steelers should get immediate impact from 2014 first-rounder Shazier, who has the instincts to play early for Dick LeBeau, which is a pretty good compliment. For me, the player to watch the next two years, aside from Jones, whom Louis mentioned, is 2014 second-rounder Tuitt, who could become a disruptive force in this system, given his athletic credentials and very good production when he's 100 percent. Also, WR Martavis Bryant is an impressive pass-catcher and athlete. --Mel Kiper

All projections...for a consecutive 8-8 team.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:18 pm 

Roethlisberger has been making better decisions? (note: I'm not saying he was ever poor, I'm saying he's been doing that for a LONG time). How much has KC Joyner watched him and for how long?

The only times Ben has made some poor decisions have almost always been when he's less than 100% and making throws he knows he can make but doesn't know his banged-up body can do. The issues in 2012....Ben played mostly within himself and smart, until late when they needed him to win the game and he just didn't have the arm he's accustomed to.

I'm starting to think NFL talking heads equate dink-and-dunk to being smart. Now that Haley is calling those plays and Ben is running them, he's suddenly a smarter and better QB?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:13 am 

The emergence of DeCastro and Bell turned a putrid offense into something remotely credible. Body by Beachum kept Ben from getting killed on passing downs.

Put their backups in and this forecast changes...Ben doesn't survive 12 games let alone 16.

Ultimately, America's answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Robert F. Kennedy...50 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:22 am 

Kodiak wrote:
Roethlisberger has been making better decisions? (note: I'm not saying he was ever poor, I'm saying he's been doing that for a LONG time). How much has KC Joyner watched him and for how long?

The only times Ben has made some poor decisions have almost always been when he's less than 100% and making throws he knows he can make but doesn't know his banged-up body can do. The issues in 2012....Ben played mostly within himself and smart, until late when they needed him to win the game and he just didn't have the arm he's accustomed to.

I'm starting to think NFL talking heads equate dink-and-dunk to being smart. Now that Haley is calling those plays and Ben is running them, he's suddenly a smarter and better QB?

I think you can assume that a 32 year old QB will make "smarter" decisions than the same QB at 26, purely on experience alone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:10 pm 

Kodiak wrote:

Joyner is a stat guy and this is his area of expertise - evaluating QB decisions, throws etc. Doesn't mean he's right . . . but it is a stat thing not a Steve Young eyeball thing. speaking of eyeball thing, like most of you I've seen every play ben has played, every throw he's made. I haven't charted it, but it really appears to me that he is making less bad decisions. Whether it's offensive structure or Ben getting better, there have been many less "oh shit" moments with Ben the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:32 pm 

Kodiak wrote:

Ben has made plenty of bad decisions when he was completely healthy....and those bad decisions have been cut down with the arrival of Todd Haley.

Now, the negatives of Haley's offensive system outweigh that positive, IMO, but he HAS helped with Ben's decision-making.

R S: "All praise MJG. Fuck the NUT!"