It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One more day to sign Cortez Allen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:44 am 

Are we really going to go into next year with William Gay and Antwon Blake as our returning CBs?

There's never been a real incentive for Cortez to re-sign now. If he plays well this year he can enter the market and probably get a much better deal than what the Steelers are offering now. Still, it's very disappointing to see. Out of all the guys we had needing new deals this offseason he was the one true must-sign IMO. Very concerned about what our CB situation is going to look like next year.

Post subject: Re: One more day to sign Cortez Allen
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:01 am 

The "no extensions once the season starts" thing is a self-imposed deadline. The Steelers are the only thing stopping the Steelers from signing guys to extensions once the season has started.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:57 am 

It has to be the Steelers feel he not worth a Big deal and feel like he not a #1 type CB.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:14 am 

Dick LeBeau has certainly spoken highly of him in interviews. Hope they get a deal done.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:02 am 

Yes but what they see on the Field might be very Different the Steelers feel maybe he should be paid as a #2 and the Allen camp wants to be paid like a #1.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:10 am 

Is he really that good?

I get that Keenan Lewis turned out to be good, but let's not overvalue our own players as we tend to do very often (e.g. Willie Colon, Gilbert, Pouncey).

This is what mediocrity looks like.

Last edited by SteelBack on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:12 am 

Well, we let KL walk, so do we have to overpay for Allen? Pretty sure he and his agent know what position the Steelers are in. "Pay me out the ass or go back to the draft, especially since drafting CBs is something you guys are so good at."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:13 am 

SteelBack wrote:
Is he really that good?

I get that Keenan Lewis turned out to be good, but let's not overvalue our own players as we tend to do very often (e.g. Willie Colon, Pouncey).

I agree.

The future CB depth is terrifying, but I'm not convinced Cortez deserves top CB money either. It's a tough situation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:29 am 

Pipes wrote:
SteelBack wrote:
Is he really that good?

I get that Keenan Lewis turned out to be good, but let's not overvalue our own players as we tend to do very often (e.g. Willie Colon, Pouncey).

I agree.

The future CB depth is terrifying, but I'm not convinced Cortez deserves top CB money either. It's a tough situation.

A big danger is paying a league-average guy like a top player at his position because we have crap behind him. That's a big part of how a team gets into salary cap hell.

You look around wondering where all the money went then you realize you're paying a bunch of average to slightly-above average guys like elite players.

This is what mediocrity looks like.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 am 

Still Lit wrote:
Well, we let KL walk, so do we have to overpay for Allen? Pretty sure he and his agent know what position the Steelers are in. "Pay me out the ass or go back to the draft, especially since drafting CBs is something you guys are so good at."

With KL and ZH virtually bolting out of here and other former young Steelers giving back handed compliments to the organization I'm sensing that home town discounts aren't happening as much as they used to seem to happen. IOW Steelers will have to pay the market rate to keep any talent. With that said limiting the team's personnel to drafted players and a few low to mid level free agents isn't a recipe to Lombardis anymore.