It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Former Steelers’ players share their training camp memories.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:47 am 

Quote:
Lipps: 'I left blood, sweat and tears'
Posted Jul 11, 2016
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
@Teresa_Varley
Former Steelers’ players share their training camp memories.
The Steelers are set to embark on training camp at Saint Vincent College, a time some players love, and others dread. But it’s a must, and for the Steelers it’s something they will be doing for the 51st time at Saint Vincent College.

Several former players shared their take on what training camp was like for them at Saint Vincent College, and for the most part they are happy they don’t have to go back. Up until the start of training camp we will be bringing you their fun stories and thoughts.

Louis Lipps, WR, 1984-91

“Training camp was nothing like it is today. It was bump and grind, two a days, full gear. Those were the days. We still talk about that. I see some of the younger guys and tell them we did two a days in full gear, and they’re like, ‘what.’ At that time that’s what we had to do. If you wanted to make the team then that’s what you had to do. I left a lot of blood, sweat and tears on that field. Latrobe was a place that was real special.

“The first time I ever practiced in front of 20,000 people, it was awesome, and that’s what makes Pittsburgh special and a lot better than other places in the NFL.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Lipps-I-left-blood-sweat-and-tears/c486eec3-775b-4af7-a105-477dee63faa0

Last edited by StillMadAtSlobber on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Former Steelers’ players share their training camp memor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 pm 

Love Lipps. The man.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:12 am 

Quote:
Williams: ‘That was the norm'
Posted 19 hours ago
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
@Teresa_Varley
they are happy they don’t have to go back. Up until the start of training camp we will be bringing you their fun stories and thoughts.

Gerald Williams, NT, 1986-94
“Early on camp wasn’t fun for me because it was so new, trying to find my way, figure out defenses, learn the defense, just trying to learn the people you were playing with. Trying to get adjusted to camp wasn’t very fun. But after you got used to the people you were playing with, and with the defense you were using, camps were fun. Once you became familiar with the people you were playing with, it was a time to build camaraderie.

“Training camps were a little looser with Coach (Bill) Cowher. He was a coach players felt they could approach. It was more relaxed. With Coach (Chuck) Noll, it was business as usual. It felt like business every time we stepped on the field. For me, that was the norm. It was normal for me since that was the way I approached it, and that’s the way I spent 4 years in college.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Williams-%E2%80%98That-was-the-norm/dbed55b6-9a5a-49b8-b5c6-b6d10997813d

Last edited by StillMadAtSlobber on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:36 pm 

Quote:

J.T. Thomas, DB, 1973-81

“Training camp for us was hell. People say what was your favorite moment about training? It was the day we left training camp. Even now when I go by Latrobe, I don’t look, I just floor the accelerator.

“It was the place where it weeded out the men and the boys very early. In the first two weeks, you knew who would make the ball club. It was a weeding out process, and it was strictly survival. I don’t think anyone loved training camp. We all hated training camp. But it was something we had to go through. The memories are not fun.

“It made us stronger. As a matter of fact, the games were easy. The season was a cakewalk because training camp was such a hectic, vicious, hurtful, painful environment. The conditioning was just terrible. We had a track schedule. We ran three 50s after practice timed.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm 

Quote:
Thompson: 'It was rough'
Posted Jul 15, 2016
Teresa Varley
Steelers.com
@Teresa_Varley

Weegie Thompson, WR, 1984-89
“I think I liked it. I think I complained more than I should have. It was rough. I just had lunch with Greg Lloyd. We were talking about two a days and training camp the way it used to be for us in the 1980s. It’s different now than it was then. I don’t think it lasts as long. I don’t think they practice quite as long. I don’t think they are in pads quite as much. It was very rough. It was tiring. It was a lot of soreness, a lot of scrimmaging, a lot of live tackling, but it was where you made the team. I always looked forward to it, but I didn’t always enjoy it.”