It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A silver lining for both Rogers and Ayers...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:30 am 

A Bell 4 game suspension allows the Steelers to keep both Rogers and Ayers. Rogers can be that 5th WR and Ayers can be kept as a Chris Rainey/Stephens-Howling scatback RB/return man the first 4 games.

Also, on a side note, I had made a post a while back talking of some vets I wanted to see gone, cut. Suisham, Spaeth and Moats. Well, 2 down and 1 to go. I talked of how the money saved could be put to good use. Maybe the Steelers will use that money savings by picking up another vet RB to insure against a Bell injury setback even when he comes back off suspension.

Post subject: Re: A silver lining for both Rogers and Ayers...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:36 am 

And also for that RB vet to be there when Bell goes down with an injury like he normally does.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 am 

Quote:
A Bell 4 game suspension allows the Steelers to keep both Rogers and Ayers.

Aaaah...I feel better now!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:25 am 

Obviously wrote:
And also for that RB vet to be there when Bell goes down with an injury like he normally does.

Guess it's better we sign a vet since Tomlin didn't think it was prudent to get the greenhorn Toussiant involved in the regular season where we were a DWill injury from being completely inexperienced. Whaddya know, that very thing happened and the lack of reps perhaps impacted his fumble in Denver. Tomlin apparently doesn't believe in contingency plans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:50 pm 

Scunge wrote:
A Bell 4 game suspension allows the Steelers to keep both Rogers and Ayers. Rogers can be that 5th WR and Ayers can be kept as a Chris Rainey/Stephens-Howling scatback RB/return man the first 4 games.

Also, on a side note, I had made a post a while back talking of some vets I wanted to see gone, cut. Suisham, Spaeth and Moats. Well, 2 down and 1 to go. I talked of how the money saved could be put to good use. Maybe the Steelers will use that money savings by picking up another vet RB to insure against a Bell injury setback even when he comes back off suspension.

Scunge, put down the crack pipe (or should I say Oxy bottle)!

The Steelers FO would have to be high to cut Moats. Our depth chart at OLB is, perhaps, the worst it's been since when Chuck Noll took over.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:21 pm 

bradshaw2ben wrote:
Scunge wrote:

Scunge, put down the crack pipe (or should I say Oxy bottle)!

The Steelers FO would have to be high to cut Moats. Our depth chart at OLB is, perhaps, the worst it's been since when Chuck Noll took over.

We have depth its just that the talent level is sketchy but there are a lot of bodies.
1a Deebo still has some fumes in the tank.
1b Bud needs to take the next step.
3a As a R1 JJ is a flop.
3b Moats is a valuable backup.
3c Chickillo, same as Bud, potentially the third OLB some time this season. Could eventually be a left side starter if/when Bud flips over to the right side in '17.
Bunch of other guys looking to stick as ST and be backups in '17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:51 pm 

I believe the best is yet to come for Bud; I'm skeptical Chickillo will be more than wave rushing depth. Moats is a decent backup.

The season hinges on whether James Harrison can still play at a high level and if Dupree takes the next step to become dominant. There is no other big wildcard, no one to step in if either of those hinge points doesn't come to pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 pm 

We need to use that roster space for a real #3 RB. Entered way too many postseasons under tomlin with good run offenses that were missing any capable Rb.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:24 pm 

I'm not putting the cart before the horse where Ayers is concerned. Rogers on the other hand had a strong camp/pre season in 15' until injury sidelined him. Should he pick up where he left off, he could be seeing serious playing time on ST's and some offensive snaps. He can thank Bryant if it unfolds that way too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:31 am 

Sorry B2B, no crack pipe here. I was no fan of that OLB rotation they had at both ROLB and LOLB last season. Hard to develop as a player, at those positions, when you are doing musical chairs. Say what you want about Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree but they have to take the training wheels off at some point and just let them get the majority of the snaps and make their mistakes and learn and grow from it. Cutting Moats forces that issue and provides both players with more reps and playing time. I don't want to hear, well, did they earn it bullshit. They are former first round picks and you have to let them play and develop. Relying on the vets as a safety blanket, or pacifier is not helping the process.

Moats should be a clear backup on this team and yet he has a cap hit of 3.1 million. Sorry but I cut him and roll with Dupree, Jones, Harrison, Chickillo and Feeney and sign another vet RB.