It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers talent level
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:36 am 

I was just reading the player rankings on SI.com. Yes, I know, rankings mean very little, but Ben is the 4th QB, Bell is the #1 RB, and Brown is the #1 outside WR ranked above the likes of Julio Jones, Dez Bryan and ODB. It just made me think about the talent that's been accumulated on this roster.

The talent is polished on the offensive side of the ball. But defensively it's beginning to blossom starting up front with Tuitt and Heyward. This is an optimistic post. With some homerism sprinkled in.

But......honest question. Is there another roster currently in the NFL that you'd trade the talent level with the Steelers?

Post subject: Re: Steelers talent level
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:24 am 

Talent is fools gold, IMO. All it takes is one guy with a malicious streak to ruin your season if you're solely dependent on talent. Depth is a better indicator of the team's success.

I agree with you, the talent on the roster is as good as it has been in ages. I just want it to be there at the end of the year when it matters. I want Ben to get 5k and for Bell to get 2k from the LOS and Brown to get 1.8k but it will mean nothing if they arent there for the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 am 

Bell just threw a monkey wrench into all of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:

Meh. He'll appeal and piss and it will be a non story. Plus, I'd rather him work back in slowly on that knee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:52 am 

JackLambert58 wrote:

^^ This

Talent ain't shit if the head driving it is firmly affixed up the bearer's ass... :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:41 am 

Remember all those seasons when the San Diego Chargers were proclaimed the "most talented team in the NFL"?
Let's count their rings.
I'll start............................

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Remember all those seasons when the San Diego Chargers were proclaimed the "most talented team in the NFL"?
Let's count their rings.

Rings? We can barely win a fucking playoff game in the past 5 yrs with all this supposed talent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:22 pm 

Donnie Brasco wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Let's count their rings.

Rings? We can barely win a fucking playoff game in the past 5 yrs with all this supposed talent

Supposed is the key word there.
Despite what we may believe here, the Steelers of the past 5-6 seasons have been marginally talented. The defense got old, was held together a year or two too long, then was rebuilt. The o-line sucked, then was rebuilt. The once in a lifetime, future HoF RB had spent more time injured and suspended than on the field. Our dynamic, game changing WR is a suspended bonehead.
Other than our top notch QB, and best in the biz WR, how much of this "supposed" talent have they really been able to count on?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:23 pm 

Most of these replies are irrelevant. I'm not talking about the team 3-4 years ago. I'm talking about the accumulated talent today.

Because I've read plenty of bitching about Colbert, but would you trade the current roster for any other roster in the league? Straight up?

All Colbert can do is keep bringing in the players, it's up to the coaches to bring home the rings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:24 pm 

Jobus Rum wrote:
Donnie Brasco wrote:
Jobus Rum wrote:
Let's count their rings.

Supposed is the key word there.
Despite what we may believe here, the Steelers of the past 5-6 seasons have been marginally talented. The defense got old, was held together a year or two too long, then was rebuilt. The o-line sucked, then was rebuilt. The once in a lifetime, future HoF RB had spent more time injured and suspended than on the field. Our dynamic, game changing WR is a suspended bonehead.
Other than our top notch QB, and best in the biz WR, how much of this "supposed" talent have they really been able to count on?

As I said, I'm talking about currently. Not the shitty O-lines from 4-5 years ago. The talent has grown on the roster, impressively. No more excuses.