It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great Day
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:37 am 

Made it to Latrobe for 2nd year in a row and 3rd time ever. It is such a cool place. Didn't think we would make it this year with everything going on with my kids and taking them here and there and we live about three hours away but decided to do it. Looked like it was going to be a beautiful day so we headed out. Stopped by the Flight 93 Memorial on the way and that was very moving. Made it there like five years ago but it was just a gravel road and a temporary building at that point. What they have now will just leave you speechless.

After that hit camp and it was great. Kids got to do all the kids stuff, Face Painting, kick a field goal, pictures everywhere. Then we headed to get a seat. Found a good spot on the bleachers on the 50 yard line. Wife stayed back and girls and I headed over to the walkway trying to get a few autographs. No luck at that point but got to see them all walk down. Debo, Coates, AB, Bell, Ben, everyone. Headed back to the bleachers to watch practice. So cool to see them all right in front out you. Stuff going on everywhere. AB playing to the crowd, Ben was basically a coach, saw Bell make some nice cuts and moves. The whole time I am thinking "don't get hurt". Coates man. He looks the part in person. Made some great catches. Still pissed about Bryant but Coates looks like he can really be something. Was so much bigger looking than Wheaton. I tell you one person that looked like a beast is Boswell. He looks as big as Jesse James. Was nailing kicks. Wasn't really expecting a lot of hitting but man at certain times they were laying into each other. Especially at the end in the goal line drill. Seems like Defense takes it personal if the offense scores. Mitchell and Gay were out in every defensive players face after a stop and talking trash to Bell and Coates. At the end got Shamarko's autograph and also Steven Johnson. Not the Bells or Bens of the Autograph world but kids were happy with them. Thought they had hit pay dirt :lol: . Topped the day off with dinner at Sharky's. Just a great day. If you haven't done it do it. Training Camp with the Steelers is a Bucket List thing. Plus it is fucking free!!!

Post subject: Re: Great Day
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:30 am 

Thanks for sharing. Great pictures, glad you and the family had fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:40 am 

Great pix, RT.

I've always wondered if other teams (or facilities they trained in) charged to see training camp. It's probably not a lot of money to be raised, but the NFL rarely does anything for free. Plus teams that are willing to threaten to leave a city in order to extort municipal concessions (Rams, e.g.) probably have no interest in generating good will . It's just jarring to hear "free" and "NFL" in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:12 am 

Thanks for sharing.

Great stuff. Glad you and yours had a good time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:43 am 

nice pics!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:24 pm 

StainlessSteel wrote:
Great pix, RT.

I've always wondered if other teams (or facilities they trained in) charged to see training camp.

NFL rules I think state if the camp is free other teams are not allowed to scout practices (Maybe unwritten but coaches and scouts know who works for what teams). Redskins charged for practices one year in Ashburn and most teams on the schedule paid and scouted the practices and the skins were not happy but since they were paying customer they had no footing to moan about it. The skins have since stopped charging for entry. I think they can charge for parking but most teams do not. St. Vincent's is a great road trip and afternoon I have not gone in a few years but have been many times always used to love seeing Oklahoma drills back in the day. Met Dan Rooney once wandering down from the hilltop fields and had a ten minute conversation with him that was the highlight of my trip.