It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interesting take on D.
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:11 am 

Found this article yesterday. Interesting take on the direction the D might be heading.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016/5/2/11564576/retiring-the-3-4-mentality-looking-at-our-draft-and-defense-thru

Post subject: Re: Interesting take on D.
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:43 am 

Thanks for the link.

At the beginning of that article, there are 2 pre-requisites to read, for those that arent up on the 2-4-5 or the 3-3-5

http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2015/5/1/8528407/modern-defense-and-the-2-4-5-vs-the-3-3-5

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2016/4/8/11391984/is-a-3-3-5-look-coming-to-pittsburgh

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:57 am 

Interesting article.

Some serious food for thought. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:00 am 

Something certainly needs to change considering the current state of our secondary.

The good news is we will have rookies (and injured players from last years draft) battling for playing time. Odds are one of them will turn into a decent starter. If not, it's gonna be ugly again and the offense will have to score 30+ a game.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:49 am 

I've been saying specialization is bad for 12 years now. Steelers were overspecialized. You saw this with how the pats attacked this defense. Bellicheck basically said, oh Joey Porter, you want to rush the qb off the edge. You'll probably best our LT. How about you chase Kevin faulk all over the field instead? Pats consistently attacked the LB level with this crossing routes because steelers had a schematic blind spot to covering these short zones sideline to sideline.

Plus steelers aren't very good in deep coverage either.

Plus steelers take a long time to even develop up a player like Porter.

I've been saying for a long time steelers were playing a defense that worked for specific types of offenses but was very rigid, brittle, and over specialized.

They have to be able to roll in guys like Feeney. They need to get speed on the field. They need to be able to COVER.

They eventually got around to this point of view I'm glad to see.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:12 pm 

Which is why I give Tyriq McCord an excellent chance of not only making the 53, but of contributing on defense in 2016.

He's a top flight pass rusher who can do just about anything you ask him to do in coverage beyond deep speed. Yet another multiple tool athlete with similar traits to everyone else they drafted.

And Cheatham Norrils is Will Gay 2.0. Really hope they sign him after the weekend, because the longer he stays, the more he'll become a candidate to stick.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:09 pm 

If we take the articles as being true than holding on to LeBeau cost this team in time in switching over to a more modern defense.
Quote:
I also foresee Jarvis being let go if he doesn't agree to stay at his current salary, and even then it might just be a 1 year contract. If he's kept, he's kept for depth purposes until we fully transition, and we should find out soon enough as to whether or not the Steeler's pick up his 5th year option.

IMO he's really an older version of OLB, a "Lebeau OLB" if you will. He hasn't materialized as much of a pass rusher, really isn't fast enough to drop back into coverage the way a 3-3-5 would demand, and overall I foresee the older style 3-4 OLB being phased out.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:46 pm 

I think the article was good until the "Lebeau OLB" part. What is that exactly? Does the author even know?

Porter & Harrison were the two ROLB that took most snaps at that position under DL during his 2004-2015 tenure here.

How are either of those guys comparable to Barnaby?

Which "Lebeau OLB" were slow, weak, lack explosion, and set new levels of ineptitude at getting to the QB like Jones has?

Jones lacks strength & athleticism to play at a high level at this level. None of which has anything to do with being a "Lebeau OLB".

Call a spade a spade. Jarvis wouldn't be catching heat had he been drafted where other players with his attributes get drafted. 3rd round or later.

Jarvis Jones would have been an excellent to great 4th rounder.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:32 pm 

I agree B2B about McCord. Just a little surprised why he was not on anyone's draft board and went undrafted. Steelers are fortunate like this every draft in one way or another. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:56 pm 

955876 wrote:
I think the article was good until the "Lebeau OLB" part. What is that exactly? Does the author even know?

Porter & Harrison were the two ROLB that took most snaps at that position under DL during his 2004-2015 tenure here.

How are either of those guys comparable to Barnaby?

Which "Lebeau OLB" were slow, weak, lack explosion, and set new levels of ineptitude at getting to the QB like Jones has?

Jones lacks strength & athleticism to play at a high level at this level. None of which has anything to do with being a "Lebeau OLB".

Call a spade a spade. Jarvis wouldn't be catching heat had he been drafted where other players with his attributes get drafted. 3rd round or later.

Jarvis Jones would have been an excellent to great 4th rounder.

By LeBeau LB they mean that they are specialized as pass rushers or run stoppers. The 3-3-5 wants NT that can rush the passer and LBs that can run from sideline to sideline in coverage and rush the passers. A LB that could play safety if needed.