It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AB Contract Extension Thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:40 am 

I am just wondering what AB is going to expect from the Steelers on a contract extension? He is 28 years old, he is at his peak. If he keeps this up, that number is going to be ugly, isn't it? Also, how will his contract affect some of the other guys we have to sign? We know Wheaton is gone.

If Bryant can come back, that's AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers, and Bey. That is one hell of a receiving corp.

What are your thoughts guys?

Post subject: Re: AB Contract Extension Thoughts
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:02 am 

Suwanee88 wrote:
I am just wondering what AB is going to expect from the Steelers on a contract extension? He is 28 years old, he is at his peak. If he keeps this up, that number is going to be ugly, isn't it? Also, how will his contract affect some of the other guys we have to sign? We know Wheaton is gone.

If Bryant can come back, that's AB, Bryant, Coates, Rogers, and Bey. That is one hell of a receiving corp.

What are your thoughts guys?

Some so-called expert had WR and RB as the Steelers two big draft needs for 2017. That's really rich.

Even if Bryant doesn't come back and Deangelo Williams is a year older, we have an embarrassment of riches at WR/RB.

AB is going to break the bank and in exchange, the Steelers are going to give him the longest deal he will accept.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:04 am 

I'd guess 5/80, with a real value just above what Julio Jones got since JJ was younger at the time he got his deal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:06 am 

Ladarius Green should be a part of that group, fingers crossed.

The Steelers have to expect Von Miller numbers 6 Years - $114.5 Millions with $70 Guaranteed.

No way does Antonio's agent start lower than that, Brown is just as dominate as Miller, in fact probably more.

I don't think the Steelers have ever had a non-QB as good as Antonio come up on a contract like this in their prime.

They will have plenty of time to work on it, hopefully it gets done next March.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:13 am 

10 years, $184M, $100,840,000 guaranteed.

What is there to lose with this deal, for either side? While Ben is working, you keep him paired with the best WR in the game, who works his ass off and is in amazing condition-- unlikely to slide to irrelevance. Once Ben is done, he gets your QB money. Face of the franchise until he hangs 'em up or loses enough after age 35 that you deal him or release him for greener pastures so you can pay next franchise QB.

Basically, make him 2nd highest paid player on the team and be happy about it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:56 am 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
Ladarius Green should be a part of that group, fingers crossed.

The Steelers have to expect Von Miller numbers 6 Years - $114.5 Millions with $70 Guaranteed.

No way does Antonio's agent start lower than that, Brown is just as dominate as Miller, in fact probably more.

I don't think the Steelers have ever had a non-QB as good as Antonio come up on a contract like this in their prime.

They will have plenty of time to work on it, hopefully it gets done next March.

The WR market isn't set by OLBs. AB has no leg to stand on asking for Von Miller number which would eclipse the current highest paid WR contract by $40m.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:25 pm 

Quote:
The WR market isn't set by OLBs. AB has no leg to stand on asking for Von Miller number which would eclipse the current highest paid WR contract by $40m.

Antonio's agent is at least going to start there. WR contracts don't matter, he is performed at a Hall of Fame level, and this is his, "I made it" contract.

The Steelers should be prepared for something like that, he makes just as much of an impact as Von Miller does, that's the foundation of the contract pitch.

Tavon Austin just got $30 Million guaranteed, he had 900 total yards last year and is completely lost on the field.

Brown's agent will say he is worth double that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:28 pm 
bradshaw2ben wrote:
10 years, $184M, $100,840,000 guaranteed.

What is there to lose with this deal, for either side? While Ben is working, you keep him paired with the best WR in the game, who works his ass off and is in amazing condition-- unlikely to slide to irrelevance. Once Ben is done, he gets your QB money. Face of the franchise until he hangs 'em up or loses enough after age 35 that you deal him or release him for greener pastures so you can pay next franchise QB.

Basically, make him 2nd highest paid player on the team and be happy about it.

Seems a little high but I like the concept of a 10 yr deal at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:29 pm 

Ordinarily, I'd agree that QB and OLB and even LT money is top tier, WR just below that. If AB is wiling to sign a Steeler for life contract, I'm willing to make him the highest paid ever.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:30 pm 

ChippedHamSandwich wrote:
Quote:

Antonio's agent is at least going to start there. WR contracts don't matter, he is performed at a Hall of Fame level, and this is his, "I made it" contract.

The Steelers should be prepared for something like that, he makes just as much of an impact as Von Miller does, that's the foundation of the contract pitch.

Tavon Austin just got $30 Million guaranteed, he had 900 total yards last year and is completely lost on the field.

Brown's agent will say he is worth double that.

Julio Jones has not been far off, and just got 5/71 with 47 guaranteed. He's also younger.

AB is going to get something like 5/84 (84 because it's cute) with 55 guaranteed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm 

AB is arguably playing at a higher level the last 3 years of any Steelers WR in history. But you've got to take into account AB's skillset is based on his unusual agility, dexterity, acceleration. When he loses that, he will go from being a great reciever to a good one in his early thirties. AB is an Extremely hard worker and a precision route runner, and he will hold off age as long as possible.

AB has been underpaid the last 4-5 years and he deserves the money coming his way. The Steelers and AB will have to find the balance with AB's extension.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:47 pm 

5 years, $75m, $50 guaranteed is Julio Jones/AJ Green before inflation
8 years, 120, 80 guaranteed is the same
10 years, 150, 100 is Julio Jones money, with a SFL length

my previous offer of:
10 years, $184M, $100.84 Guaranteed just has some fluff in the last few years of deal.

Of the non QBs over $14M per year:
5 WRs, 4 edge rushers, 7 interior DL

There are 9 non QBs above the highest paid WR ($15M/yr AJ Green):
3 edge rushers (Von Miller, Justin Houston, Olivier Vernon)
6 Interior DL

There's zero chance AB signs for less than $15M/per and $10M/yr guaranteed.

5-4-7 over $14 3-6 over highest paid WR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:49 pm 

SteelKnife wrote:
Julio Jones has not been far off, and just got 5/71 with 47 guaranteed. He's also younger.

AB is going to get something like 5/84 (84 because it's cute) with 55 guaranteed.

Thank you. Over the past 2 years:

Julio Jones: 240 receptions, 3464 yds, 14 TDs
Antonio Brown: 265 receptions, 3532 yds, 23 TDs

Better than Jones? Absolutely, but not a 30% premium over Jones.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:52 pm 
bradshaw2ben wrote:

There's zero chance AB signs for less than $15M/per and $10M/yr guaranteed.

I agree with that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:52 pm 

My thoughts are if he doesn't retire a Steeler, it would be a catastrophic-level FO failure.
I don't care what it takes - lock him up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:00 pm 
The 1 point id like to make is assuming AB gets a historic contract, it pretty much guarantees a need to steadily draft WR every year somewhere in rds 3 to 7 til Ben retires.

Absolutely zero chance the FO puts anything thing than chicken feed into the position once AB signs.

Probably effects TE unit pay as well to a point.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:25 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
The 1 point id like to make is assuming AB gets a historic contract, it pretty much guarantees a need to steadily draft WR every year somewhere in rds 3 to 7 til Ben retires.

Absolutely zero chance the FO puts anything thing than chicken feed into the position once AB signs.

If we're being realistic, that's probably only another 3 or 4 years (at least until we reach the point that he should retire). AB, Eli, Wheaton would work for me. Bryant can probably be kept pretty cheaply as well strung along on a short term "prove it" deal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:52 pm 
SteelKnife wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:

If we're being realistic, that's probably only another 3 or 4 years (at least until we reach the point that he should retire). AB, Eli, Wheaton would work for me. Bryant can probably be kept pretty cheaply as well strung along on a short term "prove it" deal.

I think Ben barring serious injury plays longer than many people think.

He is a natural competitor. The Steelers are finally starting to recover from blowing up the team when they fired Arians. They have a DC who has to make it on merit rather than legend, an OC who is being handed alot of weapons, and a young core who are hungry and talented.

I think Ben will play past 40 if hes able.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:34 pm 

SteelerChef wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:

He is a natural competitor. The Steelers are finally starting to recover from blowing up the team when they fired Arians. They have a DC who has to make it on merit rather than legend, an OC who is being handed alot of weapons, and a young core who are hungry and talented.

I'm less interested on how long til Ben retires than how long until he is retired or should be by the team.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:38 pm 
SteelKnife wrote:
SteelerChef wrote:
SteelKnife wrote:

I'm less interested on how long til Ben retires than how long until he is retired or should be by the team.

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:45 pm 

I love AB, but he isn't worth that kind of coin long term. He is 28 and he will not always be cat quick. He doesn't have the size to overcome a loss of quickness as he ages.

As for Ben, I'd love him to play til 40 but he was so beaten up early in his career that it is hard to imagine him making it that long without his body breaking down.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:24 pm 

This isn't baseball, the contract is not guaranteed. They can cut him anytime they want. The longer the contract, the easier the ability to defer the signing bonus over a large number of years. It makes sense to sign him as long as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:15 pm 

JackSplat58 wrote:
This isn't baseball, the contract is not guaranteed. They can cut him anytime they want. The longer the contract, the easier the ability to defer the signing bonus over a large number of years. It makes sense to sign him as long as possible.

Parts of it are, at least if it's going to be a serious offer. If you give him a 10 year contract with $50m guaranteed, and cut him in 2 years, you still owe that full $50m.